British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Oh! Wonder what's different about me? Definitely 300 here. Maybe they like the name. :blink:

It's a bit inconsistent. Some of the searches I have edited have allowed more than 100, others haven't. Confusing.

Oh! Wonder what's different about me? Definitely 300 here. Maybe they like the name. :blink:

It's a bit inconsistent. Some of the searches I have edited have allowed more than 100, others haven't. Confusing.

Results are inconsistent too. I can add one exclusion and have a couple of hundred results ADDED to the tally! Makes me wonder what I might be missing. Not much, probably. :lol:

I've also been playing with Google custom searches for off ebay shopping, as a direct result of this nonsense. Build a list of your favourite dealers websites and search them all for something at the same time. It's not perfect yet, but it's promising.

Just got confirmation from ebay that there is no character limit, so it's a ball-ache, but it's only a ball-ache once

Correction: I've just run into the character limit that I was assured doesn't exist! It's 300 characters. :(

The other thing that has been annoying me for a while is the change to a 10,000 search limit. Yesterday for instance I started in Coins British at about 5.00pm and only got back to about 9.30pm Friday evening so I missing about 4 hours of new listings.

Does that 10000 limit include all ebay items or just coins? As the current total in the coins section is about 60000 British, there surely can't have been 10000 listings in just over 4 hours. Something doesn't add up there.

Isn't the 300 character limit overkill as titles are limited to 80(?) letters if I remember right, so you can't use any more in any case? It would be better if the search results offered you the option to remove churchill crowns from a list of crown search results for example. You can exclude them by era unless someone has listed them in the wrong section, but then you can't legislate for all events.

That's 10,000 in 20 hours, 9.30pm the previous evening.Every day I check the previous 24 hours, and worldwide it's more like 75,000. That makes an average of 7500 per day so 10,000 is never far off.

Confirmed:

300 chr absolute limit on query length, but 100 between brackets.

so, use 3 sets of brackets, with <100 in each, then you can get round the 100 chr limit.

I use one set of brackets for dates, once for denoms, and one for words, like this

-(1967,1972,1977,1981,2012) -(20p,50p,£1,£2,£5) -(commemorative,cover,decimal,Diana,doubles,festival,jersey,gold,man,mother,pounds,proof,token)

then you can go up to 300.

Confirmed:

300 chr absolute limit on query length, but 100 between brackets.

so, use 3 sets of brackets, with <100 in each, then you can get round the 100 chr limit.

I use one set of brackets for dates, once for denoms, and one for words, like this

-(1967,1972,1977,1981,2012) -(20p,50p,£1,£2,£5) -(commemorative,cover,decimal,Diana,doubles,festival,jersey,gold,man,mother,pounds,proof,token)

then you can go up to 300.

Thanks Declan for clearing that up. That makes sense now. Some of my searches have multiple sets of parentheses, others don't - which is why it seemed a bit random.

Any eBay buyer who spends that kind of money without (1) basic knowledge or (2) consulting any catalogue of recent years, deserves all they get IMO.

that sellers got loads of overpriced stuff....i hope no one gets stung.

Hello,

need Your help with information about Ebay. Does enybody know something about why all the sellers on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk are not shipping to Lithuania (starting from October)? I think, that's some ebay trick, becuse sellers I've asked didn't know that they are not shipping.

Hello,

need Your help with information about Ebay. Does enybody know something about why all the sellers on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk are not shipping to Lithuania (starting from October)? I think, that's some ebay trick, becuse sellers I've asked didn't know that they are not shipping.

I recently sent a coin out but forgot where is was exactly, it was around your region and was told by the Post Office that i could'nt post it, ended up sending it to the USA for the buyer

But omitted to mention the most obvious fault - the inverted bust on the obverse.

'WHAT!' Where's my cheque book? ;)

I did actually have a mini attack when checking it out, as I caught 'bid' with my thumb when scrolling down the listing! It was one step from being mine! Could've sat in a cabinet with a Mary groat :lol:

Hello,

I only know that Lithuanian Customs are returning any letters that they suspect to be carrying dutiable goods if they are not accompanied by a form CN22 (or CN23 if worth over £270)

Hello,

I only know that Lithuanian Customs are returning any letters that they suspect to be carrying dutiable goods if they are not accompanied by a form CN22 (or CN23 if worth over £270)

Talking of the CN23 has anyone ever seen one? I've asked in 3 different post offices now for a copy, only to be met with the face of disbelief! I've even turned over a 22 to prove they exist!

"Talking of the CN23 has anyone ever seen one? I've asked in 3 different post offices now for a copy, only to be met with the face of disbelief! I've even turned over a 22 to prove they exist!"

Supposedly available through your local Revenue & Customs office, except they know naff all about Exports. Mainly because exporting involves no claw back for them, indeed those stalwart individuals registered for VAT can in some circumstances actually claim money back.

I would venture to suggest that marketing really isn't this seller's strong point;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261125731603?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649