British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Very hopeful: 300777011911

"EF condition" EF in this case being, er .. extra flat?? And as for " the price that fit's the coin", well, I think it depends on the size of font you use for the numbers, don't you? Sorry, that should be don't you's, I think.

:lol:

He's even got a misprunt on his eBay id. 'thewinnertakesiall' should surely be 'thewinnertakesfall'

I think we all make good and bad buys.I will always start sales at 99p.

Some Ebay sellers are now blocked from my searches(thanks Declan :) )

Oh, please, how do you do that? 'Timeline Originals' out you go!

Do your normal search, then find "Seller" down the left hand side. Hit "Specify Sellers", then in the box that pops up, choose "Only show items from", "Exclude", and paste your blacklist in the little box that doesn't look like it has enough room for it. Do the list in a text file first, and separate the names with a comma, but no spaces (you're limited by number of characters, and spaces count).

Don't forget you can rid yourself of an awful lot of crap with judicious use of wildcards in the initial search box too - here's mine:

-1967 -197* -198* -199* -200* -201* -olym* -"Isle of Man" -framed -holed -enam* -polish* -token -damag* -empty -india -gibr* -decimal -proof -pattern -mother -wedd* -churchi* -£5 -£2 -£1 -diana -sover* -gold -keyr* -aldern* -jers* -guern* -1p -20p -50p -commem* -cuffl* -millen*

Then save your search using the link at the top.

Be aware though, that eBay, bless 'em, have a technical fault at the moment with advanced searches, and if your results only show gallery pictures for the first 11 items, you've fallen foul of it. They are working on it, they assure me. It's something to do with the complexity of the query - the more complex it is, the more likely you'll have the problem. Mine, predictably, is horrendously complex because I try to filter out 75% of all the British Coins on there, if I can. Used to work fine - it's only in the last week or so that their problems have occurred.

But surely you'll miss out on the beautiful gold plated, polished, proof alderney, commemorative, 50p peices mounted in a pair of cufflinks Declan?

I think we all make good and bad buys.I will always start sales at 99p.

Some Ebay sellers are now blocked from my searches(thanks Declan :) )

Oh, please, how do you do that? 'Timeline Originals' out you go!

Do your normal search, then find "Seller" down the left hand side. Hit "Specify Sellers", then in the box that pops up, choose "Only show items from", "Exclude", and paste your blacklist in the little box that doesn't look like it has enough room for it. Do the list in a text file first, and separate the names with a comma, but no spaces (you're limited by number of characters, and spaces count).

Don't forget you can rid yourself of an awful lot of crap with judicious use of wildcards in the initial search box too - here's mine:

-1967 -197* -198* -199* -200* -201* -olym* -"Isle of Man" -framed -holed -enam* -polish* -token -damag* -empty -india -gibr* -decimal -proof -pattern -mother -wedd* -churchi* -£5 -£2 -£1 -diana -sover* -gold -keyr* -aldern* -jers* -guern* -1p -20p -50p -commem* -cuffl* -millen*

Then save your search using the link at the top.

Be aware though, that eBay, bless 'em, have a technical fault at the moment with advanced searches, and if your results only show gallery pictures for the first 11 items, you've fallen foul of it. They are working on it, they assure me. It's something to do with the complexity of the query - the more complex it is, the more likely you'll have the problem. Mine, predictably, is horrendously complex because I try to filter out 75% of all the British Coins on there, if I can. Used to work fine - it's only in the last week or so that their problems have occurred.

Bloody 'ell, that's just saved me around 8-10hrs a week! Many thanks for that, you'll get your reward in heaven (or an auction house)! :D

But surely you'll miss out on the beautiful gold plated, polished, proof alderney, commemorative, 50p peices mounted in a pair of cufflinks Declan?

:lol: :lol: Not to mention the Olympic isle of man Diana souvenirs...darn it, no wonder I couldn't find any of them

And of course its a private listing, so you (well, us mere mortals) can't message the buyers...

Azda - over to you son!

And of course its a private listing, so you (well, us mere mortals) can't message the buyers...

Azda - over to you son!

Oops. That's a fair bit of brass to pay for a fair bit of... :D

r***e 245 FB

Azda - over to you son!

I deapiar at what some of these people are looking at when checking the poctures

Azda - over to you son!

I deapiar at what some of these people are looking at when checking the poctures

Didn't your iPhone suggest "diaper" and "postures" for those??? :D

God knows, i just hit enter for the lucky dip :D

As long as people are willing to part with good money for these fakes then the practice will flurish!

I find it hard to believe that real collectors are being fooled by these! Are the buyers investors who know nothing about the

so called coins they are buying thinking they are on to a good thing, we will never know!

Here is a link to completed listings from a seller based in china showing the range of fakes and prices that people are willing to pay for them.

Hope it works.

Completed Listings

and those currently on offer

Current

But that wasn't even a fake, just a standard spade guinea token. I think I have one knocking around in a drawer myself. And the buyer has all his (or her) bids in coin categories so I'd have thought they might have known better. Most odd.

"Little actual wear"? Methinks the seller is a bit blinded by that psychedelic purple background :D

Nice VF Charles I Shilling! 261094905301

Ah, no. It says VF detail. And there is one small bit of it that could be considered to be VF!

(Had you thought of getting a computer Stuart? They allow you to put in links and everything!) :P

Oh, and I might mention that this seller has previously listed three (different) replica Charles I shillings as genuine, so he either doesn't know that much about what he sells, or he does. Either way, I'd be quite cautious about buying from him.

Ah, no. It says VF detail. And there is one small bit of it that could be considered to be VF!

(Had you thought of getting a computer Stuart? They allow you to put in links and everything!) :P

Oh, and I might mention that this seller has previously listed three (different) replica Charles I shillings as genuine, so he either doesn't know that much about what he sells, or he does. Either way, I'd be quite cautious about buying from him.

3 replicas, you've impressively got your finger on the pulse, I must say!

I do have an abacus to play with :P

Or I have a sad vacuous life which I spend entirely on eating nothing but pizza while staring at a computer in my Mom's basement. :P

Apple do an abacus app now? :lol:

Or I have a sad vacuous life which I spend entirely on eating nothing but pizza while staring at a computer in my Mom's basement. :P

Apple do an abacus app now? :lol:

Sure! Excel started on Apple originally after all...

It has more holes on the OBV than a Polo mint, casting bubbles?

Very snarky. If he wants to guarantee a minimum price, why not put it on with a reserve? Sounds like he wants to have his cake and eat it. As for pulling it, what is the latest you can pull a coin on eBay before the auction ends? I bet it's a lot later than 24 hours to go! An auction is an auction, for heaven's sake - you have to take the rough with the smooth. If he wants to avoid the rough, he should put his coins up for sale as BIN only.

Very snarky. If he wants to guarantee a minimum price, why not put it on with a reserve? Sounds like he wants to have his cake and eat it. As for pulling it, what is the latest you can pull a coin on eBay before the auction ends? I bet it's a lot later than 24 hours to go! An auction is an auction, for heaven's sake - you have to take the rough with the smooth. If he wants to avoid the rough, he should put his coins up for sale as BIN only.