British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

How can eBAY produce results like this. :unsure:

It has a bad bruise on the obverse at 12 0'clock

There is wear...look on the reverse.Fingers,G,base of shield.

Nice strike but.....

Maybe a £5 coin at a push.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLENDID-1901-FARTHING-1-4d-TONED-UNC-LUCIDO-8-COIN-/290665824976?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item43ad0882d0&autorefresh=true

Nice strike but.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLENDID-1901-FARTHING-1-4d-TONED-UNC-LUCIDO-8-COIN-/290665824976?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item43ad0882d0&autorefresh=true

Wow! I recently got an A/UNC (and genuinely so) 1901 farthing, without mint darkening, so rarer, and all for the princely sum of $11.35, incluidng postage to the UK.

Nice strike but.....

Skillful photography, selective description and imbeciles as punters.

Having had a look at the sellers sold items it's quite amusing to see "high grade colonial halfpenny" when what the item actually should be listed as is "1775 halfpenny, VF soil find" Each to his own I suppose but my honesty and integrity are slightly more important to me than my profit.

Yeah, the poor bugger who bought it from the LMO in the first place - and they only paid £30 for it!

Yeah, the poor bugger who bought it from the LMO in the first place - and they only paid £30 for it!

It is worth diddly though.

The numpties that bought them for £300 are the ones suffering.

I don't understand anyone who trys to sell one for more than £75.I think they will drop to £15-£20.

The numpties that bought them for £300 are the ones suffering.

I don't understand anyone who trys to sell one for more than £75.I think they will drop to £15-£20.

Unlikely when people are still selling (or more importantly buying) at £100+... the price won't drop until the numpties realise they are not a long-term investment.

Not eBay, but ouchy!

At least he didn't list it as a US colonial coin where dug British coins go for quite a bit despite being worn flat, nearly unreadable or contaminated with bronze disease. Of course you do get a few gems in there, early US coinage produced in the colonies, evasion halfpennies and the like. But for the most part, its well worn common coins (or tokens)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Colonial-/528/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_catref=1&_dmpt=Coins_US_Individual&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=3

He missed out the usual...

Highly unique coin, not many in existence

Best example in the world and maybe in England too

Exceptional rich chocolate rainbow toning

etc. etc.

I see some of these numpties are still trying to sell undated 20p ' for thousands lol

ive got 2 of em...........total cost 40p, i wont be putting em back into circulation, if a numptie wants to buy one however :D

You will see it fly past the £100 mark.

1703 Vigo Crowns are a bit of an anomaly in that they normally turn up in high grade (like your Northumberland). This creates a problem for the collectors at the lower end of the market (who cannot afford or justify a spend of £1k+) and pushes the price of low grade coins way over what they would be worth for a coin that was abundant in lower grade and scarcer in high grade.

I see Dave's favourite eBay seller is up to his old tricks again. This 1836 halfcrown for example, virtually UNC - I don't think so - closer to gVF. Mind you, if you imagine that "virtually" means "nowhere near" then it makes more sense.

Edited by Nick

I think he sold that 1 last year Nick, to himself lol, along with that Geo IV

Edited by azda

Nice strike but.....

The thing is ... a large determiner as to whether I consider the price of a coin to be reasonable relies on what I've seen before. If a coin is pretty much like other examples, I'm not going to pay as much as for one that looks better than average. If I've never seen as good an example before or, (as with my last purchase) if I know that better examples while available, go for at least double to 10x what I'm paying and I'm prepared to compromise for the price ...

I can only assume the buyers simply don't know what an UNC specimen looks like. But surely, for modern coins like this, it's not too difficult to do a web search for photos - even to check auction prices for the various grades?

It sort of feels that if you are going to buy something on the basis of a seller's description, without apparently doing any homework, then it's buyer beware really...

Not a laugh, just a salutary lesson. Cleaning is not generally advisable!

Here's the coin when it was listed in Feb last year:

post-129-022039300 1330185082_thumb.jpg

And here as it is, nice and shiny [sic] today. Sadly, not an improvement imho.

post-129-090475700 1330185101_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart

Do you know what is the difference in sale price was?

Do you know what is the difference in sale price was?

£105 last year. £200 now, for what I think is a ruined coin. :(

Here's an interesting eBay item that went through and sold earlier today. It's advertised as a 1697 Crown, which would make it quite rare, even in this condition, which is atrocious. However, further down the listing, the seller does say that it's a halfcrown. Despite this it went for £79. Why I wonder? Either the buyer didn't realise it was a halfcrown, or possibly they recognised that it is an (I think) unlisted variety.

As far as I can judge, the Irish harp shield is to the right of the date, whereas it is normally to the left i.e. it is transposed with the Scottish shield. On this basis, I went up to £15 for curiosity value but nearly £80!!!!!! Whew. A phrase involving gob and smacked comes to mind.

Alternatively, it might be a contemporary forgery I guess.

post-692-023926200 1330292788_thumb.jpg

The description says "nice collectable coin" !!!!!

On eBay when a coin is described as being in "collectable condition" this usually seems to mean "ungradeable" in reality...