British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

5 centuries old?? I think a 5 crept infront of the actual price whilst typing?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1677-Charles-II-4D-Four-Pence-Groat-AU-/160619670195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2565adaab3

Yeah... possibly the 4 as well!

Maybe by his maths, its a dollar a year...

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells though. Here in the US there is a huge "age premium" for coins that you don't see in most of Europe and condition matters less with US collectors than British ones. Even 19th century coins sell for $$$ based on their age, and any coins in fine/very fine condition dating from the early 1900s or before are considered to be in excellent condition. If you buy early milled or hammered coins form a US seller you end up paying much more than you would from a British dealer simply because of the age. Even an incredibly worn Victoria penny will easily sell for $3+ just because most Americans view it as ancient.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2565adaab3

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells though. Here in the US there is a huge "age premium" for coins that you don't see in most of Europe and condition matters less with US collectors than British ones. Even 19th century coins sell for $$ based on their age, and any coins in fine/very fine condition dating from the early 1900s or before are considered to be in excellent condition. If you buy early milled or hammered coins form a US seller you end up paying much more than you would from a British dealer simply because of the age. Even an incredibly worn Victoria penny will easily sell for $3+ just because most Americans view it as ancient.

Best get all that shite out of the jar and get it on ebay :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2565adaab3

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells though. Here in the US there is a huge "age premium" for coins that you don't see in most of Europe and condition matters less with US collectors than British ones. Even 19th century coins sell for $$ based on their age, and any coins in fine/very fine condition dating from the early 1900s or before are considered to be in excellent condition. If you buy early milled or hammered coins form a US seller you end up paying much more than you would from a British dealer simply because of the age. Even an incredibly worn Victoria penny will easily sell for $3+ just because most Americans view it as ancient.

Best get all that shite out of the jar and get it on ebay :lol:

Yeah, a crusty George III copper would go for $15+ regularly on eBay, just put down that it was "used as currency in the colonies" and you'll have people bidding $$$$, happens all the time.

Definitely worthy of a premium bid.

He states that "No Chemicals are used to tone my coins"

I wonder what he is using?

Edited by Coppers

Definitely worthy of a premium bid.

He states that "No Chemicals are used to tone my coins"

I wonder what he is using?

Shite by the look of it :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950-PCGS-GENUINE-GREAT-BRITAIN-BRASS-3D-BO34-/360380195643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e855633b

Am I missing something? Or are there a bunch of counterfeit 1950 brass threepence out there? But who sends that to be certified genuine? And then sells it for $75?

After 49&46 50&51 are the rarest brass 3d's.

If it was Unc it would be worth a few bob.

The one offered looks cleaned (grade looks cleaned VF)

I've never seen a counterfeit brass 3d.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950-PCGS-GENUINE-GREAT-BRITAIN-BRASS-3D-BO34-/360380195643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e855633b

Am I missing something? Or are there a bunch of counterfeit 1950 brass threepence out there? But who sends that to be certified genuine? And then sells it for $75?

The .92 in the PCGS genuine numbering scheme is the code to indicate that it has been cleaned. The codes are:

91 Artificially Colored

92 Cleaned

93 Planchet (Coin Blank) Flaw

94 Altered Surface

95 Scratched or Rim Dented

97 Environmentally Damaged

98 Other Damage

The .92 in the PCGS genuine numbering scheme is the code to indicate that it has been cleaned. The codes are:

91 Artificially Colored

92 Cleaned

93 Planchet (Coin Blank) Flaw

94 Altered Surface

95 Scratched or Rim Dented

97 Environmentally Damaged

98 Other Damage

Hm, interesting, thanks for the info on the PCGS numbering scheme, I didn't know that. And also thats interesting with 1950 being a rare date for the brass threepence, any other rare/interesting dates for UK base metal coinage (both decimal and pre-decimal) that I can keep an eye out for in dealer "junk bins"?

I'm not sure how he will realise that he has changed from milled to hammered. Both types of offering were dire.

What's all this then? How can you have a mule with an obverse and a reverse that should be paired. Same mintmarks both sides and the correct obverse and reverse. Sorry Mat, couldn't resist, i'm feeling mischievous. :ph34r: It's a straight S2668, S2669 has the plume over shield reverse. The portrait looks almost too strong though, as if it has been tooled, but that should be simple to verify under a glass.

Edited by Rob

... "date hard to distinguish" ... um. Yeah.

coin

Hang on .. I think I can just make it out ...... it's .. it's .. a coin? :P

Edited by TomGoodheart

coin

I would of never thought of using the Hubble telescope. ;)

coin

I would of never thought of using the Hubble telescope. ;)

Now you're just being unfair. If you "Enlarge" it, it's quite obvious there is a hole near the top of the ... ?coin? :D

Now you're just being unfair. If you "Enlarge" it, it's quite obvious there is a hole near the top of the ... ?coin? :D

I clearly need to play with my resolution settings... I just get a grey dot on a brown background!

Still, I might chance 99cents to see what it actually is! :ph34r:

Something different for penny / flat disc collectors

:)

David

David

Except it's NOT a flat disc :lol:

David

Except it's NOT a flat disc :lol:

That's why it's something different :)

It seems to have two dates as well.

I guess we shouldn't laugth about this one

sad really

Edited by Gary D

sad really

That's a genuine one in the picture, that will mysteriously get "lost in the post" on the way to the successful bidder, I'm thinking?

(With a feedback score of 97.7, it looks decidedly iffy!)

Edited by Peckris

sad really

That's a genuine one in the picture, that will mysteriously get "lost in the post" on the way to the successful bidder, I'm thinking?

(With a feedback score of 97.7, it looks decidedly iffy!)

Here is a link to the photo of the 1933 (with some other rare pennies) on Tony Clayton's site:

link

Edited by Coppers