British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Mind you, looking at that penny, I'm thinking the cat may have got to it long ago :D

I thought the cat laid it.

Mind you, looking at that penny, I'm thinking the cat may have got to it long ago :D

Or maybe the cat 'laid' the reproductive sixpence?

I have to Be honest, when i 1st started collecting Coins i had nö idea of the spectrum. I initially started with German Coins but obviously being in Germany i was competing against a nation.

I sold what i had then decided on British coins, again my collecting thoughts were all over the place and was buying allsorts until i stumbled across a BU Penny and 400 for a Penny on this site.

My point is, it does'nt matter what we think about collecting habits, if i could afford rarer coins i'd simply buy what has eye appeal to me, whether proof or not, i'd love more rarities in My collection, if i could afford them then i'd have kept that 1905 halfcrown, unfortunately its not the case and we have to respect everyones buying habits whether we like it or not.

The problem with collecting is that you start off thinking it's a finite art ~ that you will collect a given series and then leave it at that (for a time at least). But the reality is very different. Once you start it's exceedingly difficult to stop, especially for those of us whose interest becomes all encompassing, verging on the obsessional !!!

Even in any given series or date run, it's knowing the best time to call it a day in respect of that specific collection. Do you limit yourself to just dates, and then the odd upgrade. Or do you go beyond in the hope of obtaining every different listed type ? Do you content yourself with a mid grade rarer type, or do you practically re-mortgage your house in a bid (no pun intended) to get one of the few outstanding examples ?

It is these philosphical points I frequently ponder in my quieter moments :ph34r:

Edited by 1949threepence

A cat laying a turkey - now there's a thought :P

I have to Be honest, when i 1st started collecting Coins i had nö idea of the spectrum. I initially started with German Coins but obviously being in Germany i was competing against a nation.

I sold what i had then decided on British coins, again my collecting thoughts were all over the place and was buying allsorts until i stumbled across a BU Penny and 400 for a Penny on this site.

My point is, it does'nt matter what we think about collecting habits, if i could afford rarer coins i'd simply buy what has eye appeal to me, whether proof or not, i'd love more rarities in My collection, if i could afford them then i'd have kept that 1905 halfcrown, unfortunately its not the case and we have to respect everyones buying habits whether we like it or not.

The problem with collecting is that you start off thinking it's a finite art ~ that you will collect a given series and then leave it at that (for a time at least). But the reality is very different. Once you start it's exceedingly difficult to stop, especially for those of us whose interest becomes all encompassing, verging on the obsessional !!!

Even in any given series or date run, it's knowing the best time to call it a day in respect of that specific collection. Do you limit yourself to just dates, and then the odd upgrade. Or do you go beyond in the hope of obtaining every different listed type ? Do you content yourself with a mid grade rarer type, or do you practically re-mortgage your house in a bid (no pun intended) to get one of the few outstanding examples ?

It is these philosphical points I frequently ponder in my quieter moments :ph34r:

When I was collecting pennies, I had every date and major variety from 1797. What constituted a major variety was saomething I usually made up my mind on early on and stuck to. For example, I would always regard the 1874-79 wide/narrow dates as 'major' even if Spinks didn't list them as such and the portrait changes of 1874 and 1881 (far more noticeable in my view than 1926) too were major. On the other hand 1903 open 3, 1897 high tide and coins with sundry dots on just didn't seem to have enough different about them to make collecting worthwhile. There came a point where I tended to upgrade rather than add new varieties and once this became prohibitively expensive, I gave up and became a dealer!

When I was collecting pennies, I had every date and major variety from 1797. What constituted a major variety was saomething I usually made up my mind on early on and stuck to. For example, I would always regard the 1874-79 wide/narrow dates as 'major' even if Spinks didn't list them as such and the portrait changes of 1874 and 1881 (far more noticeable in my view than 1926) too were major. On the other hand 1903 open 3, 1897 high tide and coins with sundry dots on just didn't seem to have enough different about them to make collecting worthwhile. There came a point where I tended to upgrade rather than add new varieties and once this became prohibitively expensive, I gave up and became a dealer!

I pretty much agree on all counts. Certainly, the wide and narrow dates differences from 1874 to 79 absolutely hit you square in the eye, and are a must for collection IMO ~ although 1877nd seems a tall order, as it is R18, 6 to 15 known, apparently, and I believe one went for £6k last year, in F only. 1879nd is also difficult, obviously.

I had originally intended to just collect the wide and narrow dates + H and non H from 1874, but the different portraits are also now nagging me.

Like you, however, the 1903 open 3 is not an essential, nor is the 1897 high tide. Also, if I'm honest, the 1902 low tide and 1895 2mm seem a tad overrated as well.

Just to whet the appetite:-

post-4682-066956500 1306607573_thumb.jpg post-4682-011879100 1306607807_thumb.jpg

Like you, however, the 1903 open 3 is not an essential, nor is the 1897 high tide. Also, if I'm honest, the 1902 low tide and 1895 2mm seem a tad overrated as well.

post-4682-066956500 1306607573_thumb.jpg post-4682-011879100 1306607807_thumb.jpg

I think both those have been known for so long they have acquired a permanent status. But certainly neither is as rare (especially the 1902) as many of the lesser-favoured bun varieties.

I pretty much agree on all counts. Certainly, the wide and narrow dates differences from 1874 to 79 absolutely hit you square in the eye, and are a must for collection IMO ~ although 1877nd seems a tall order, as it is R18, 6 to 15 known, apparently, and I believe one went for £6k last year, in F only. 1879nd is also difficult, obviously.

I had originally intended to just collect the wide and narrow dates + H and non H from 1874, but the different portraits are also now nagging me.

Wow! I've got 2 1879 nd but never seen a 1877

Very, very interesting. An absolute bargain for £85.00, I'd say. Can't see it being on sale for long.

It does look like a narrow date, yes. It also looks genuine.

Edited by 1949threepence

I think both those have been known for so long they have acquired a permanent status. But certainly neither is as rare (especially the 1902) as many of the lesser-favoured bun varieties.

They're both totally integral to penny selling and collecting habits. No doubt about it. As you say though, Peck, not as rare as many of the slightly less well known buns.

Wow! I've got 2 1879nd but never seen a 1877

Well played you B) ~ what condition are they in ?

Edited by 1949threepence

Very, very interesting. An absolute bargain for £85.00, I'd say. Can't see it being on sale for long.

It's about as right as a WWII bomber on the moon!

Without even trying to look at dies it is apparent that the second 1 is a totally different style.

I had the very fortunate miss on an 1860 penny on ebay at £1200 a couple of years ago (I think it made over £2k). It appeared to be an unrecorded J + g. It now appears on page 100 of Michael Goubys book as an altered date forgery.

At least this seller states he thinks it is a wrong un. Ebay is an absolute minefield and should be negotiated in a bomb suit (preferably 2) with a very good sniffer dog and detector in front of you!

Without even trying to look at dies it is apparent that the second 1 is a totally different style.

I had the very fortunate miss on an 1860 penny on ebay at £1200 a couple of years ago (I think it made over £2k). It appeared to be an unrecorded J + g. It now appears on page 100 of Michael Goubys book as an altered date forgery.

At least this seller states he thinks it is a wrong un. Ebay is an absolute minefield and should be negotiated in a bomb suit (preferably 2) with a very good sniffer dog and detector in front of you!

I was being sarcastic. If there had been any chance of it being genuine, 1) It would already have gone, 2) There would have been a lot more fanfare, higher price plus attempt at verification and 3) If it hadn't gone after that, I'd have bought it myself in a heartbeat :P

That said, of course, somebody will buy it "as is", and probably re-sell it for more !!!

Edited by 1949threepence

I was being sarcastic. If there had been any chance of it being genuine, 1) It would already have gone, 2) There would have been a lot more fanfare, higher price plus attempt at verification and 3) If it hadn't gone after that, I'd have bought it myself in a heartbeat :P

That said, of course, somebody will buy it "as is", and probably re-sell it for more !!!

Yes, the obverse is the giveaway, not appearing on pennies before 1874. The question is, what's it been altered from? That doesn't look obvious.

Yes, the obverse is the giveaway, not appearing on pennies before 1874. The question is, what's it been altered from? That doesn't look obvious.

....and when was it altered....?

Wow! I've got 2 1879nd but never seen a 1877

Well played you B) ~ what condition are they in ?

Both Crap I'm afraid

1879Ca 1879Ca.jpg

1879Cb 1879Cb.jpg

nb Gouby only lists one date width for this type, but note different spacing between the 7 & 9

1871 narrow date???

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item20b9dabb46

Methinks the second 1 in the date looks a little strange... :unsure:

Don't think it is an 1871, possibly an 1874 with the one repunched in the wrong position (mint worker forgot he was working on a mirror image)

1871 narrow date???

Don't think it is an 1871, possibly an 1874 with the one repunched in the wrong position (mint worker forgot he was working on a mirror image)

Now bear in mind pennies are not my thing :D, but it looks like an altered 4 to me, the serifs on the last one are angled which are completely different to the other 1 in the date. I can also see some difference in shade where the 4 would have been, but I don't know how this would compare to genuine date spacing for this date? Overlays anyone? :)

1871 narrow date???

Now bear in mind pennies are not my thing :D, but it looks like an altered 4 to me, the serifs on the last one are angled which are completely different to the other 1 in the date. I can also see some difference in shade where the 4 would have been, but I don't know how this would compare to genuine date spacing for this date? Overlays anyone? :)

I think we've established that it can't possibly be a 1871 - so please let's not talk about "probably" or "don't think". It's not! Let's start from what it might be - 1874 at the earliest - and work from there.

1871 narrow date???

I think we've established that it can't possibly be a 1871 - so please let's not talk about "probably" or "don't think". It's not! Let's start from what it might be - 1874 at the earliest - and work from there.

1874. Copy it into a program where you can alter contrast and brightness. The LHS of the 4 shows up as a line parallel to the 7 and if you look carefully just on the RHS of the 1 it looks as if there are the serifs of the 4.

1871 narrow date???

1874. Copy it into a program where you can alter contrast and brightness. The LHS of the 4 shows up as a line parallel to the 7 and if you look carefully just on the RHS of the 1 it looks as if there are the serifs of the 4.

I see that Rob, quite plainly. The thing is, how did they get the flat top to the digit, and the extra thickness to the downstroke?

I suspect the last 1 was added as extra metal. Whether it was a piece forced into a machined hole and finished to the final shape, or less likely literally stuck on top I don't know. I'm saying this based on a 1905/4 that I have where the added 5 was the wrong shape and some of it has fallen off, so not a good job. The remains of the horizontal bar of the 4 can be seen in the loop of the 5. See below. Incidentally, they also b******d a perfectly good 1904.

post-381-092157400 1306881606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

to me it is an 1874h there looks to be a clean area in the H spot

Edited by scott