British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I always wondered what the H stood for?

Hahahaha, brilliant HARDER MINT, you learn something new everyday. His ME page describes himself "With numismatic passion in our blood" seriously? Maybe you should locate the harder mint then mate :lol:

Hahahaha, brilliant HARDER MINT, you learn something new everyday. His ME page describes himself "With numismatic passion in our blood" seriously? Maybe you should locate the harder mint then mate :lol:

In mythology, Azazel is a demon who introduced women to cosmetics.

Just a useless fact.

Sion

Geezus, Is everyone on ebay stupid?

Anyone with a spare £600 knocking around would surely be temped to invest in this gem.

Sod it. I've only got £600 and not the extra £4 for postage or I might have been tempted. After all, it is the rare "with date" variety. :lol:

I'm looking out for the fabulously rare 1918T, as produced by the Trebor Mint. They weren't as Hard but boy were they STRONG.

:lol:

Anyone with a spare £600 knocking around would surely be temped to invest in this gem.

Sod it. I've only got £600 and not the extra £4 for postage or I might have been tempted. After all, it is the rare "with date" variety. :lol:

Isn't it the 1877 overstrike variety? You know, the one where both 7s are overstruck with wear? :D

Deleted

Edited by Gary D

I've seen the picture... a five year old could tell it was a crap coin!

If they're responsible enough to own an eBay account and bid, they're responsible enough to deal with the consequences.

Over-graded coins are NOT a rarity on eBay.

By all means, send the seller a message complaining about the over-grading but if you browse through the "Coins" category on eBay you will see Mr. Adamcoinsgb is not alone in over-grading coins.

I'm not sticking up for him, I despise the sellers who trick their customers into buying rubbish, and the last thing I'd advocate is discouraging young collectors but, sadly, he is not the first to sell crappy coins and is not the last.

There is zilch we can do about it, people will always try to make out that their products are better than they are; there are numerous examples of this in this thread.

Yes but could they tell it wasn't EF? I agree there's very little that can be done about it overall, but the odd little victory is good for the soul...

I've seen the picture... a five year old could tell it was a crap coin!

If they're responsible enough to own an eBay account and bid, they're responsible enough to deal with the consequences.

Over-graded coins are NOT a rarity on eBay.

By all means, send the seller a message complaining about the over-grading but if you browse through the "Coins" category on eBay you will see Mr. Adamcoinsgb is not alone in over-grading coins.

I'm not sticking up for him, I despise the sellers who trick their customers into buying rubbish, and the last thing I'd advocate is discouraging young collectors but, sadly, he is not the first to sell crappy coins and is not the last.

There is zilch we can do about it, people will always try to make out that their products are better than they are; there are numerous examples of this in this thread.

Yes but could they tell it wasn't EF? I agree there's very little that can be done about it overall, but the odd little victory is good for the soul...

I am with Sion on this one, whilst what these sellers are doing is clearly wrong, it pales into insignificence when the site they are being sold through does nothing :ph34r:

The world will never be the perfect place for a buyer, there has to be a certain level of people using their own common sense. Trial and error is how most people learn, you do something wrong, it hurts you don't do it again!! The exact same rules apply to sellers as well :)

ought to be a law against it...

Self slabbing

A long time ago in a galaxy pretty much where we are actually, I got ripped by centsles in the States.

I bought a couple of his nicely slabbed A UNC GB bronze coins from his poor (at the time) pictures. The only thing A UNC was the bloody case he had put them in!!!!

Self slabbing

Ah, DEGS - the infamous Dismal English Grading Services. :P

Self slabbing

I actually confess to being a self slabber, but only for my own purposes :ph34r::unsure: Please don't outlaw them :D

I would never sell one of my coins in its housing, but they seem great for presentation, protection and storage.....no adverse issues yet :D

I'm desperately trying to grow out of PVC once and for all, and I can see the point of slabs for storage. Perhaps the only crime is putting a grade on the label?

I'm desperately trying to grow out of PVC once and for all, and I can see the point of slabs for storage. Perhaps the only crime is putting a grade on the label?

Nah, you want yourself a nice mahogany cabinet Declan. It will act as a coffee table for you as well!

I have a nice semi spare one I can let you have at a snip, a 28 drawer model by Peter Nichols ;)

Nah, you want yourself a nice mahogany cabinet Declan. It will act as a coffee table for you as well!

I have a nice semi spare one I can let you have at a snip, a 28 drawer model by Peter Nichols ;)

If I could afford one of those...

You think pvc is hard to get out of Declan, you should try rubber, now thats a bugger

Oh wait, wrong forum

Delete delete :)

You think pvc is hard to get out of Declan, you should try rubber, now thats a bugger

Oh wait, wrong forum

Delete delete :)

Yup - the "dinghy sailing in a wetsuit" forum is that-a-way ======> B)

Perhaps the only crime is putting a grade on the label?

Agreed ;)

But I have a feeling the thread is now going to deteriorate into a gimp comment contest :lol:

Not really a laugh but it will be intereting to see what people will pay for a fake coin.

1933 Penny

Why would anyone pay that much for a 1 in a billion chance of getting the real one - then have to give it back because its stolen property! I picked my '33' penny (along with '54 penny, and '45 silver 3d) from Gary Phelps for £15 each!

What do we reckon... adjusted 5 or transplanted 3?

Why would anyone pay that much for a 1 in a billion chance of getting the real one - then have to give it back because its stolen property! I picked my '33' penny (along with '54 penny, and '45 silver 3d) from Gary Phelps for £15 each!

Neither.

The coin is all wrong...

Neither.

The coin is all wrong...

Definitely a pattern, I understand there are a few about, I know of the Lavrillier ones, but I am sure one of the penny mob will identify who is responsible for this one :)

The Lavrillier patterns sell quite well, one sold in Heritage in 2009 for nearly $30,000 dollars!!! :blink:

The Lavrillier patterns sell quite well, one sold in Heritage in 2009 for nearly $30,000 dollars!!! :blink:

That's because it is the easier, alternative and cheapest way to get the 1933. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was not going for the Adams example in his sale. Peter Simon picked it up for £8500 hammer - only bidder :(. A bargain.

Edited by Rob