British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

It is still cheaper and easier than going to coin auctions....just sit on your sofa with a malt and a fat cigar. ;)

I agree, I know they may not be seen to be doing much for their money, but you do get a bigger audience than at a coin auction, but you just have to make sure you sell the right pieces on ebay and the right pieces at auction....that is the challenging bit :blink:

Somebody should come up with a UK auction site just for coins and Charge a Flat fee of say between 3 and 5% of the Final selig Value. Its clear to me that eBay Must make an absolute fortune just from coins alone.

There is so many good knowledgable People ob this Forum with many various contacts that surely a coin auction only website is sure to Be a winner, Why let eBay screw every last Penny of profit from what Little there already is in a coin. A Flat fee Sounds Way better than all the hissen BS that ebays puts out

I have a different view on eBay. Currently they charge 10% of final price (up to a max of £40.00) plus listing fees of between 1.6% and 15% depending on the start price for the item. Anybody with sense either uses the free facility of under £1.00 or makes sure the starting price is both realistic and in the right price bracket to minimise the fees at the lower end of the scale. With sensible use the listing fees can be kept down to around 2.5% or so. Then add in Paypal charges and this puts a further 4.3% or so on the cost to the dealer. So with care and sensible starting prices its possible to limit the charges to around 17% of the total. Sounds quite a alot, but....

Now compare this to auctions, where the sellers fees are anything up to 20% and the buyer's premium, plus VAT has to be added in, again anything around 15% or so is normal and for a standard auction you are paying some 33-37% or so. Yes, I know that the buyers pay the buyer's premium, but that cost is factored into their bid price, so ultimately it comes off the seller.

When it comes to exposure, the internet does level the playing field of most auctions and gives a worldwide audience, as does eBay, but eBay also attracts the more amateur buyers and so I reckon overall the eBay audience is wider.

Overall, therefore, I find that eBay works on both attracting an audience and on cost to the seller. If you want to argue that auction prices are a rip off in general, well that's another issue altogether.

I have a different view on eBay. Currently they charge 10% of final price (up to a max of £40.00) plus listing fees of between 1.6% and 15% depending on the start price for the item. Anybody with sense either uses the free facility of under £1.00 or makes sure the starting price is both realistic and in the right price bracket to minimise the fees at the lower end of the scale. With sensible use the listing fees can be kept down to around 2.5% or so. Then add in Paypal charges and this puts a further 4.3% or so on the cost to the dealer. So with care and sensible starting prices its possible to limit the charges to around 17% of the total. Sounds quite a alot, but....

Now compare this to auctions, where the sellers fees are anything up to 20% and the buyer's premium, plus VAT has to be added in, again anything around 15% or so is normal and for a standard auction you are paying some 33-37% or so. Yes, I know that the buyers pay the buyer's premium, but that cost is factored into their bid price, so ultimately it comes off the seller.

When it comes to exposure, the internet does level the playing field of most auctions and gives a worldwide audience, as does eBay, but eBay also attracts the more amateur buyers and so I reckon overall the eBay audience is wider.

Overall, therefore, I find that eBay works on both attracting an audience and on cost to the seller. If you want to argue that auction prices are a rip off in general, well that's another issue altogether.

Damn right. I know I've said it before, but at a provincial auction I was sent a £17 cheque for lots which had realised £30. Whatever you say about eBay, they aren't anywhere near that bad.

DaveG My starting price was 1 pound, 36 pound on a 360 sale is 10% then 14 pound on the PP fee so all in all about 14%. but what i resent is that they Force PP in people

DaveG My starting price was 1 pound, 36 pound on a 360 sale is 10% then 14 pound on the PP fee so all in all about 14%. but what i resent is that they Force PP in people

You can still pay by cheque, but that's up to the buyer. Personaly I always favour PayPal as I can use my credit card.

As a very occassional seller I find ebay not the place to sell varieties as the average ebay buyer is not that suffisticated, auctions are a better venue for that type of coins

Gary

You can still pay by cheque, but that's up to the buyer. Personaly I always favour PayPal as I can use my credit card.

As a very occassional seller I find ebay not the place to sell varieties as the average ebay buyer is not that suffisticated, auctions are a better venue for that type of coins

Gary

Although, rare coin types have sold on ebay, the LCW under foot Penny late last year, sold for near 1000GBP also an 1849 Penny, 1250 quid, so there are intelligent ebayers out there, perhaps just very choosy

Gary

Although, rare coin types have sold on ebay, the LCW under foot Penny late last year, sold for near 1000GBP also an 1849 Penny, 1250 quid, so there are intelligent ebayers out there, perhaps just very choosy

The problem is getting two of them in the same place at the same time. I wonder what these example would have gone for at a bespoke auction?

This guy would need far better pictures than this 1876 penny no H to convince me

Same problem as the 1882s

David

This guy would need far better pictures than this 1876 penny no H to convince me

David

Funny how everyone has the rare types. I'd like to see one of those common, normal varieties, but they just don't seem to exist. ;)

Unless of course that is, the seller identified the coin as fair and that was the only type listed in that grade. :unsure:

Edited by Rob

David

I reckon there was a H there, light patches below and between the 8 and 7 where we all know the H should be, :)

post-439-066820200 1296077254_thumb.jpg

10 rare undated 20p tailside 1p start free postage.

Now, this could backfire.

Postage is free and the bid is at 1p for 2 pounds worth of 20ps. If there are no more bids, this could be fun.

David

I reckon there was a H there, light patches below and between the 8 and 7 where we all know the H should be, :)

Here's another 1876 no-H with clearer pictures this time:

1876 Penny no-H

David

1876 Penny no-H

Faint H there IMHO - Light is hitting top serif of left hand upright, spot that and you can just make out the H

David

I have several specimens with a weak H, and 2 or 3 that supposedly have no H... But I am not convinced with ANY of them that there was NEVER an H present.....

All display (to me anyway) some signs of it having been there at one time or another....

The possibility exists, as has been suggested before, that the NO H variety is a result of a filled die..... much as the rare so called 1922 plain US cent .. and thst faint signs of its presence display itself....

As a result of the H being weaker, it would wear down faster leaving the impression that there was no H on the coin despite the rest of the coin being well preserved....

I have not yet seen a convincing specimen with NO trace of a H ever being present.....

1876 Penny no-H

I can see the H, can you :lol:

post-439-056251700 1296170521_thumb.jpg

David

1876 Penny no-H

And sanded down too - look at the 6 !!

all those have an H, i have one that looks like no H myself, worn, and it is flat, except for a strange shapeless blob when light is angled.

A new obverse type for 1861 penny?

idiot posting

A new obverse type for 1861 penny?

idiot posting

and a new 1873 penny Obv, who's he trying to kid!

I have actualy conntacted this seller and he swears it is 1873, however after looking at his feedback I smell and see a rat :)

Commonwealth shilling my *rse!

Why anyone would bid over £100 on a listing which only has a pic of one side of the coin from a seller with no feedback whatsoever without checking whether they couldn't buy exactly the same item from those nice folk at Westair Reproductions Ltd for a fraction of the price, I shall never know.

I guess the moral is that if you're asking to be ripped off, sooner or later someone will kindly oblige.

Re 1876H penny

To be fair on the seller, he is pretty much laying it out as it is. Despite the possibilities, it is not a coin that I would particularly want.

Edited by Red Riley

Re 1876H penny

To be fair on the seller, he is pretty much laying it out as it is. Despite the possibilities, it is not a coin that I would particularly want.

He's actually a friend of Michael Goubys. So i would assume he knows exactly what he has, i spoke to him a few times about some of his coins, he's basically selling his doubles of what he has from upgrades. His name is Ian Fall

I don't know whether it is a first to lampoon your own listings, but here is a beauty I am currently selling (or attempting to sell) on the Bay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170597433310

I don't know whether it is a first to lampoon your own listings, but here is a beauty I am currently selling (or attempting to sell) on the Bay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170597433310

Should do well! What's the silver value of that big slug currently?