British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

One of interest, 1825, 26 & 27 Pennies Combi seems to have attracted some interest,

currently 49 Bids standing at £1,760.00.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150519850666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

One of interest, 1825, 26 & 27 Pennies Combi seems to have attracted some interest,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150519850666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I take it that *victorian*bronze* and *classic*british*coins* are one and the same seller?

I take it that *victorian*bronze* and *classic*british*coins* are one and the same seller?

Not Martin this time, seller used to be Mog461, I bought from him a couple of years ago & was

pleased with the purchases/price.

Could just be a couple of over zealous bidders, then again the IDs are protected.

Not Martin this time, seller used to be Mog461, I bought from him a couple of years ago & was

pleased with the purchases/price.

Could just be a couple of over zealous bidders, then again the IDs are protected.

Not on the iphone ebay app they're not, although you can only see the winning bidders initials and feedback score

Even though I'm not a dedicated penny man...I am tempted the 1827 is so nice and will appreciate.

Out tonight but left a bid for this one... will have to see!

I was outbid by £50, with only one other bidder :(

Out tonight but left a bid for this one... will have to see!

I was outbid by £50, with only one other bidder :(

Tried to edit my last post but was unable for some reason. Was going to say I was referring to the 1927 penny lot which went for £2,750! Would very much have liked that coin but will have to wait now.

Extremely rare mule 20p but he has a set of 14???????

My best offer of £2.80 was immediately declined!

Good luck with the £10,000,000 asking price :D:D:D

I noticed that in the sellers description that it was 'From the London Mint Collection of Coins.'

I think that I'm right in thinking that they are the company that were offering £50 per coin a while ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were all genuine as I'm sure that quite a few people would have taken them up on their offer.

I wouldn't be at all surprised either if other similar 'One Off' sets start to appear soon.

Although I do think that your offer of £2.80 was a bit low, I would have offered £3 and kept the box for you fishing bait! :P lol

Another fake 1860 copper halfpenny

This guy has the audacity to say "This Victorian halfpenny is one of the coins from a collection which I recently purchased from the estate of a coin collector and head of a Numismatic Society. It is not suprising therefore that this collection is in perfect condition. This is an uncirculated coin which has passed from collector to collector spanning its lifetime. It probably came straight from the mint int (sic) a Numismatic Society Collection."

Well, this fake certainly never circulated, I suppose.

Unbelievable.

This guy has the audacity to say "This Victorian halfpenny is one of the coins from a collection which I recently purchased from the estate of a coin collector and head of a Numismatic Society. It is not suprising therefore that this collection is in perfect condition. This is an uncirculated coin which has passed from collector to collector spanning its lifetime. It probably came straight from the mint int (sic) a Numismatic Society Collection."

Unbelievable.

The same seller also has a Northumberland Shilling that has "Spink & Co" written on the holder :unsure:

Shilling

He also notes that "The exceptionally rare coins will go to Bonhams Auctions to be sold in their New York Action House."

I can hardly wait.

Edited by Coppers

Unbelievable.

Lots of fakes for 1845, 48, 51 and 60 Copper Halfpennies have been listed recently, one dealer lists them as Copies, this particular one has provided false provenace so I have reported it as with the others I have seen but Ebay has let the auctions run, on all but one in the past.

There is a particular feature the forgers have wrong on all, possibly intentionally so as not to be criminally liable for counterfeiting on coins not stamped 'copy'.

It appears that the seller has ended his auctions of the 1860 copper halfpenny and the 1763 shilling and perhaps a few others.

"Yes folks, you too can pay five times face value, plus 4x face for postage, to own a former 20 pence piece, now impersonating a piece of crud!! Roll up, roll up..." :lol:

From the man who was previously into holes, another gem. Link One questions why anyone would pay £50 for this. It is clipped well inside the inner circle which would have rendered it illegal. Maybe he could use it to plug the hole in another coin.

Rather disconcertingly, it doesn't match any Bristol obverse because the gap between sword handle and saddle is too big. Also there is a colon after L and before I which doesn't make sense. He appears to have an excessively clipped forgery. Wow!

Edited by Rob

This isn't so much of an e bay laugh, as an e bay query. There is a seller called lucido 8 who currently has some nice buns on offer. He just sold a very nice looking 1869 for just over £500, and has a superb 1874H narrow date.

The only thing that slightly disconcerts me is that all of them (apart from one or two he's had for sale longer) have a strongly reddish look, for years where you might normally expect a very dark appearance once the lustre has died out ~ such as 1871, for example.

Can anyone account for this appearance ?

link to the coins lucido 8 has for sale

Edited by 1949threepence

I had a look at one or two of the earlier bunch as I thought there may have been some resale mileage in them.

Always hard to tell from pics as most of mine make the coin look a lot worse than it is, mainly due to poor natural light at this time of year. My thoughts were that they have previously met 3 men in a tub, but I could be wrong and it may just be the lighting or the camera at fault. Needless to say I left well alone as I didn't like the colour.

This isn't so much of an e bay laugh, as an e bay query. There is a seller called lucido 8 who currently has some nice buns on offer. He just sold a very nice looking 1869 for just over £500, and has a superb 1874H narrow date.

The only thing that slightly disconcerts me is that all of them (apart from one or two he's had for sale longer) have a strongly reddish look, for years where you might normally expect a very dark appearance once the lustre has died out ~ such as 1871, for example.

Don't know what lighting he's using, or whether he has the colour temperature on his camera mis-set; but if you turn down the magenta in his pictures, they don't look bad

Edited by davidrj

Don't know what lighting he's using, or whether he has the colour temperature on his camera mis-set; but if you turn down the magenta in his pictures, they don't look bad

Yes, my thoughts too. Pretty much most of his pictures look too red, so I'd say it's a colour cast imparted either by his camera or his computer. Reminds me of one of the sellers on Online.coins, whose coins are all way way way too red, and filmed against a red background what's more.

I had a look at one or two of the earlier bunch as I thought there may have been some resale mileage in them.

Always hard to tell from pics as most of mine make the coin look a lot worse than it is, mainly due to poor natural light at this time of year. My thoughts were that they have previously met 3 men in a tub, but I could be wrong and it may just be the lighting or the camera at fault. Needless to say I left well alone as I didn't like the colour.

Yes, my thoughts too. Pretty much most of his pictures look too red, so I'd say it's a colour cast imparted either by his camera or his computer. Reminds me of one of the sellers on Online.coins, whose coins are all way way way too red, and filmed against a red background what's more.

Thanks chaps ~ very much appreciate the input & advice. I'm 50/50 on whether to take a chance on one of these :)