British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

groats are too small, they are 4p afterall they should be 2x as big as a 2p -_-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250678123080

really now.. a lot with a 1933 penny in... that price is rediculous :/

Oh dear! My grandfather used to own a pub and he once got one in the till, he died in 1968 anybody want to buy it from me?

From what I can see amongst the blurry photos (giveaway or what) this one looks quite nicely done - the date looks pretty good and the dirt etc on the obverse gives a nice 'real' feel to it. But if you are going to fake or replicate a 1933 penny in order to deceive, what's with the huge reverse border teeth? Looking at this, I'm assuming its one of the very nice recent replicas, which go for around £14.99 or so, and which has been dirtied up to look older. If so, then I guess the designer wanted to provide something good enough to look right in a collection, for those who want a date filler, yet didn't want to make them so good that they enter the food chain and genuinely deceive.

Am I right, or does anyone have a different take on it?

A fool and their money..

If you are going to pay £1200 for a bunch of coins with blurry pictures and no guarantee of them being genuine (or purchasing them from a dealer) only a story about inheriting them then I can't muster up much sympathy I'm afraid.

groats are too small, they are 4p afterall they should be 2x as big as a 2p -_-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250678123080

really now.. a lot with a 1933 penny in... that price is rediculous :/

Oh dear! My grandfather used to own a pub and he once got one in the till, he died in 1968 anybody want to buy it from me?

From what I can see amongst the blurry photos (giveaway or what) this one looks quite nicely done - the date looks pretty good and the dirt etc on the obverse gives a nice 'real' feel to it. But if you are going to fake or replicate a 1933 penny in order to deceive, what's with the huge reverse border teeth? Looking at this, I'm assuming its one of the very nice recent replicas, which go for around £14.99 or so, and which has been dirtied up to look older. If so, then I guess the designer wanted to provide something good enough to look right in a collection, for those who want a date filler, yet didn't want to make them so good that they enter the food chain and genuinely deceive.

Am I right, or does anyone have a different take on it?

A fool and their money..

If you are going to pay £1200 for a bunch of coins with blurry pictures and no guarantee of them being genuine (or purchasing them from a dealer) only a story about inheriting them then I can't muster up much sympathy I'm afraid.

The other interesting thing, which should raise an alarm bell, is the apparent difference between the coins. Looking at the very poor quality ones, I could easily believe that these were used to balance out big ben or whatever - they certainly appear to have been exposed to the elements, with a nice bit of verdigris on show. However, the supposed 1933 is clearly a much nicer looking coin and does not seem to have been exposed in the same way as the others. Another nice touch is the old looking background sheet with the dates written on - adds a certain ambiance to complete the idea that this is a legitimate set of contemporary coins.

As you say, a fool and his money are soon parted. Could go even higher yet I guess.

Listing removed, thanks for the heads up. ;)

Listing removed, thanks for the heads up. ;)

It's made the national news!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302005/1933-penny-coin-valued-80k-offered-eBay-suddenly-withdrawn.html

Mystery of 1933 penny: Coin valued at £80,000 offered on eBay then suddenly withdrawn

Generations of schoolboys searched through their change in the vain hope of finding one.

At last, a 1933 penny bearing the head of King George V has surfaced - on the eBay internet auction site.

Experts have always worked on the assumption that only seven such coins were minted and, if genuine, this one would be worth at least £80,000.

By yesterday, bidding had reached a little over £1,100 (plus £4.95 postage) while the owner, listed as Suzanne X, failed to respond to email requests for more information.

The seller, based in Isleworth, West London, has an impeccable trading record with 100 per cent positive feedback. The 1933 coin was one of 16 pennies being sold as a job lot.

The auction was due to end at 9.13pm tomorrow, with a flurry of further bids expected in its dying seconds. However last night it was mysteriously cancelled without explanation.

The listing, complete with misspellings, had stated: 'These pennys was found in my grandfathers house. The story my grandfather told me they came of Big Ben.

'They was used to weight the penderlumif the clock was running fast or removed them if running slow. He used to service Big Ben. He retired in 1968. Sorry the photos are not clear. But you are bidding on the job lot. Selling no reserve, as I dont no a thing about coins. Good luck and happy bidding.'

A number of people showed interest in the coin and the seller subsequently posted more images which showed the 1933 date clearly.

It is certainly the case that old pre-decimal pennies are still used today as part of the balancing mechanism of Big Ben to ensure it keeps the correct time.

There is a possibility, although slim, that one of the 1933 coins would have been used in this way.

Assuming the coin is genuine, the owner could be sitting on a lifechanging-amount. However, coin collectors are always wary that criminals might be trying to cash in by creating fakes.

Nick Hart, of the London Mint company, said the history and rarity of the 1933 penny make it a very valuable coin. 'It is not quite clear how many were struck. It is certainly less than ten.

'The price is difficult to be sure of, because they sell so rarely. A genuine coin would fetch more than £80,000, while some versions would be more than £100,000.'

Two versions to the coin were struck. It is thought that four had a slightly different image of the King in preparation to an updating of his likeness on all coins. These are particularly valuable.

After seeing the image on eBay, Mr Hart said he had suspicions about the coin. He said the spacing of the digits was irregular, which would mean it is a fake.

'It would need to be examined by an expert, but I have serious doubts. I would be very surprised if this is a real 1933 penny.'

Very interesting, I didn't expect it to make the Daily Fail's headlines!

Thanks for the link, Beebman. :)

1926ME penny redefined!

modified head

1926ME penny redefined!

modified head

Choice!

A dab hand with the arrows, shame that they mean bugger all!!!!!

1926ME penny redefined!

modified head

Choice!

I've contacted the seller, let's hope he is an honest joe.

1926ME penny redefined!

modified head

Choice!

I've contacted the seller, let's hope he is an honest joe.

Looks as though the item was withdrawn shortly after Peck's post. So it may well have been a genuine error on his part.

Looks as though the item was withdrawn shortly after Peck's post. So it may well have been a genuine error on his part.

Quite! This highlights te problem we all have when dealing with ranges we are unfamiliar with. I find the Krause catalogues infuriating at times when they list something as "small date" with no comparative illustration, sometimes there are just duplicate entries for the same date with different values and no explanation

:angry:

David

This guy consistently comes up with both descriptive and physical garbage. link . It is rather disconcerting that you can get 99.7% on a feedback of over 13000 when so much mis-information is bandied about.

How on earth did he establish that the mint moved from the Tower to Hereford in 1644 and then produced 3a2 halfcrowns there? The coin illustrated is badly clipped, but is clearly a 3a2 with the cloak flying from the shoulder and has i.m. triangle although you can't tell whether it has ground below the horse or not. The "Hereford" 2/6d has the garter reverse which his coin clearly doesn't. for the record, no Civil War coin has yet been positively attributed to Hereford although records suggest there should be some. This listing is complete bullshit.

"POSSIBLY THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU COULD EVER MAKE"

Link to NEAR-PROOF CONDITION COIN

:) He's had 12 offers. I might make him an offer of £20 see what he says.

I wouldn't. He'll be in a foul mood. I just told him he should have said "If an offer is accepted..." (not "excepted"). :D

I take it this might be filed down hahaha! Since when do you get errors like this one is alleged to be?.. corr.. must be worth thousands!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canada-George-V-One-Cent-1914-Interesting-Error-rev-/190434780129?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL

I take it this might be filed down hahaha! Since when do you get errors like this one is alleged to be?.. corr.. must be worth thousands!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canada-George-V-One-Cent-1914-Interesting-Error-rev-/190434780129?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL

I would have thought that the much lighter colour in the field would indicate that it WAS there at some stage and had been removed, but what do I know about coins...... :P

"POSSIBLY THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU COULD EVER MAKE"

Link to NEAR-PROOF CONDITION COIN

:) He's had 12 offers. I might make him an offer of £20 see what he says.

I wouldn't. He'll be in a foul mood. I just told him he should have said "If an offer is accepted..." (not "excepted"). :D

Perhaps he has taken exception to some of the offers already made! I'd give him 20p for it :D

Why so much!!??? :o

Oh come on! It's got to be worth face value?

He's had 12 offers. I might make him an offer of £20 see what he says.

Maybe the bottom 2 offers were genuine? Perhaps Gordon Brown thinks it's a good way to invest his pension?

Maybe the bottom 2 offers were genuine? Perhaps Gordon Brown thinks it's a good way to invest his pension?

If he really turned down an offer of £36,000 then he's a certifiable idiot :lol:

If he really turned down an offer of £36,000 then he's a certifiable idiot :lol:

More likely he was hoping that someone out there might believe them to be genuine offers.

More likely he was hoping that someone out there might believe them to be genuine offers.

I think 96.2% feedback pretty much says it all.