British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Yes, but it went for only $2.76, so nobody was really fooled this time. How could they be with a photo like that?

DaveG38

I have heard of over grading coins ,but come on!

How odd it looks so like a Restrike Proof 1807 Halfpenny.

But then those NGC people know so much more about British coins than I do, I must be wrong. Silly me.

But then those NGC people know so much more about British coins than I do, I must be wrong. Silly me.

And do pray tell, what do Ninnies Grading Cr@p know anything of grading numismatic items more than thee?

Err ......

Oh yeah! They know how to get them in those little plastic boxes of course!

:D

Edited by TomGoodheart

I think it is probably significant that of the approximately 80 coins I have acquired in slabs, nearly a quarter have been either wrongly attributed or I've had a severe problem with the grade claimed. Of these, all bar 3 or 4 have been NGC, who seem to have a near monopoly on misattribution.

Edited by Rob

I've always asked - Who grades the graders in these comercial companies? :huh:

The experts of course!

;)

I am sure they are all mostly middle aged balding pot bellied guys, and not some Czech supermodel with an 'ova at the end of her name. :lol:

I am sure they are all mostly middle aged balding pot bellied guys, and not some Czech supermodel with an 'ova at the end of her name. :lol:

I'm sorry. But if you were grading coins and you had either a balding pot bellied guy or a Czech supermodel looking over your shoulder ... which do you think you'd find most distracting?!

And if that does explain it, how come there aren't huge waiting lists for the job of coin grader!!! :P

petra-nemcova-picture-1.jpg

She can come grade my coins anytime. :D

Hi All,

Fraud alert - see the link below. From the description, this item was sold for £2051 on 12 August on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VERY-RARE-WILLIAM-II...1QQcmdZViewItem

There's no picture, the description matches the sold item, and the seller has no feedback - the item is also starting at 99p and no location is given! With all this against it, I can't believe anybody would be taken in by this one, but you never know.

DaveG38

Thanks Dave.

Many alarm bells ringing on that one!

E-bay has removed the item for sale. Good for them - this time :D

Like ohmygawd, fleaBay actually removed a fraudulent auction. Record that one for the books, that so rarely happens. :)

Like ohmygawd, fleaBay actually removed a fraudulent auction. Record that one for the books, that so rarely happens. :)

To be fair, it was me that alerted them, and I made it pretty impossible for them to be in any doubt that it was a con. As I pointed out, how can two separate auctions be selling the same coin as lot 568 from the Glendining Auction on 11 May 1954! Even ebay couldn't get that one wrong..... or could they? Mmmmm....

I have done the same with Russian fakes on ebay, and so have numerous others. But the auctions are still present, doesn't hurt that the sellers are powersellers and ebay loves them.

To be fair, it was me that alerted them, and I made it pretty impossible for them to be in any doubt that it was a con. As I pointed out, how can two separate auctions be selling the same coin as lot 568 from the Glendining Auction on 11 May 1954! Even ebay couldn't get that one wrong..... or could they? Mmmmm....

Was the coin the actual one in Parsons' sale i.e a worn 1697 crown 3rd bust, 2nd harp with a NONO edge? It is illustrated in the Parsons catalogue despite its grade.

Was the coin the actual one in Parsons' sale i.e a worn 1697 crown 3rd bust, 2nd harp with a NONO edge? It is illustrated in the Parsons catalogue despite its grade.

The coin is this one, which sold on ebay a couple of days ago.

Looks like the one you mentioned.

The coin is this one, which sold on ebay a couple of days ago.

Looks like the one you mentioned.

Yes, that's definitely the same coin.

Hopefully the money raised from this will go towards a literacy course. link