British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

51 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Currently at £54 and 24 bids.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:56 PM, copper123 said:

I suspect it likely a few rascals having a bit of fun?

Hope so! 

She says that all the money is going to charity but then contradicts with 10% going to charity a pile of BS

And as has already been spotted by copper123 above, is it 10% going to charity or "over half" as she says in her blurb??  You just don't know what to believe about her! 😉

Edited by Martinminerva
Added quote

56 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

"The coin does have a small hole on it likely to be from use."

Eh?

Yeah, these holes you know, they tend to wear their way right through the metal, naturally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

What's wrong with people. It's not even as good as the Spink plate coin, and that only cost 34K last time out with a handful of bidders.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

What's wrong with people. It's not even as good as the Spink plate coin, and that only cost 34K last time out with a handful of bidders.

Completed listings shows it last closed at £155 so I suspect, whatever the seller ID, she's now so familiar people are happy to have a bit of fun at her expense.

Who here remembers the slightly faulty decimal coin she asked a million for because she wanted to buy a chippy? 

• Haha 3

Well I am off to America to seek my fortune with a big bag of pennies by the end of the week I will be a millionaire.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155418827861

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Well I am off to America to seek my fortune with a big bag of pennies by the end of the week I will be a millionaire.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155418827861

I've been told these daft listings can sometimes be money laundering.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

I've been told these daft listings can sometimes be money laundering.

Oh yes perhaps

18 hours ago, Rob said:

what is a plate coin? 

Just now, DrLarry said:

what is a plate coin? 

Probably a large thick coin

Marleybob is probably also large and pretty thick as well

21 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

what is a plate coin? 

One illustrated in a publication. This coin in this case.

img687.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob said:

One illustrated in a publication. This coin in this case.

img687.jpg

Yes ,a testoon there are very few around these days and  few in good grade a pretty iconic coin really as the price tag shows.

They tended not to get buried in hoards because they were debased silver , good silver drives out bad.

Any that circulated circulated till they were like washers

OK thank you understand now 

On 2/22/2023 at 8:30 PM, Michael-Roo said:

The listing has been removed (rather than ended)! Looks like it might be the action of Ebay.

1054714928_3-Copy.thumb.jpg.316e3f07c065f6b9d11f4141cf00a1d2.jpg

Maybe so!  But I'm sure it will reappear at some point in the future, along with some more utter cock and bull.

It's a bit more than that. Even the previous listing of the same item has also been removed. True, it might be back with a new seller's ID though. 

3 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I don't understand people who do this on eBay. I've recently been selling a number of coins, and it takes quite a bit of time to photo them, process the pictures, set up the auction page and load the photos onto it. To do all this, and then try and charge idiotic prices, which virtually guarantees failure to sell, seems incredibly stupid to me. Yes, I know just one sale could make it worthwhile, but is such a sale realistic? I have my doubts.

• Like 1

*MINT* PF63, 1911 King George V Silver PROOF Coronation Florin / 2 Shilling, NGC | eBay The coin's not too bad but GBP 70 plus 10% GST to send it to Australia. That's why I like to buy directly from a dealer as you do not pay Australian GST up to $1000 coin value and you can negotiate on the freight.

12 hours ago, ozjohn said:

*MINT* PF63, 1911 King George V Silver PROOF Coronation Florin / 2 Shilling, NGC | eBay The coin's not too bad but GBP 70 plus 10% GST to send it to Australia. That's why I like to buy directly from a dealer as you do not pay Australian GST up to $1000 coin value and you can negotiate on the freight.

Shipping cost is a tricky one for the vendor. Up to £250 is not a problem because it comes within the affordable table of charges for the regular mail. Go over that and you are looking at insured parcels which will typically cost £40+ as a minimum whether you use the postal service or a courier, leaving you with the choice to either lie on the customs form and not be insured for full value, or declare its full value with the attendant costs. If I'm shipping across the world to someone I have never dealt with before, I know which option I will offer.

In the case of the above, surely it is easier for you to be invoiced for a shipping included value from the seller directly rather than through ebay's system, which is clunky at best, often collects tax on behalf of the destination country, but frequently charges the wrong duty rates (e.g. see Jerry's dealing with ebay/HMRC and I was once charged 20% vat on a book!). A shipping included amount would save the 10% GST, but there is no obvious way to avoid the heavy shipping costs other than by under-declaring the value.

Most of the coins I collect are under GBP 250 and I have found the mail service between the UK and Australia pretty secure. As long as you keep under the $AU 1000 things seem to arrive without any issues. The other week I received a coin from the UK that was opened by customs claiming biological protection . They resealed the package and sent it on its way.

On ebay you see some very high freight costs sometimes more than the article in question and you have to think this is not helping E commerce.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Though none will buy, obviously.

Same seller's full list.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=125587797461&rt=nc&_ssn=alibat-143&_pgn=1

I'm drawn to the rather lovely 1977 crown. Very rare, apparently, so likely a snip at £150....

• Haha 4