British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

4 hours ago, Flash said:

That said I must have 30 or so George III fakes that I simply cannot list. If I get them through the original listing process someone always reports me. A bit annoying really considering that these can be quite desirable.

That is a shame .  Although if you were going to enter the counterfeit business as a chinese die maker I think the Contemporary Georgian counterfeits would be the best place to start.  I have a lot of them and recently have been shocked at some of the prices they fetch in the US ...it is a big part of their history  

Edited by DrLarry

5 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Are you kidding? ebay tacitly encourages the selling of fakes by paying no more than lip service to their "policing". They don't care what sells, as long as it sells and they make money. :rolleyes:

it is quite hard to know what does and does not get taken down by ebay.  I feel I do a tiny bit by reporting what I see o them.  Might be a waste of time akin to picking up other peoples little I suppose in the outside world, but I will still do both.  From a cost point of view in the end it costs them because they have to administer a return programme and often these things escalate and involve going through the resolution centre.  

Notice only the date 1933 has been cleaned... 

Also I think people selling for a charity on eBay has the charity ribbon icon on their listings ...

Edited by Sword

37 minutes ago, Sword said:

Notice only the date 1933 has been cleaned... 

Also I think people selling for a charity on eBay has the charity ribbon icon on their listings ...

yes they do and they are quite strict about having it on  but I suppose if you are lying about the coin you can say whatever takes your fancy 

Edited by DrLarry

37 minutes ago, DrLarry said:
3 hours ago, Flash said:

That said I must have 30 or so George III fakes that I simply cannot list. If I get them through the original listing process someone always reports me. A bit annoying really considering that these can be quite desirable.

That is a shame .  Although if you were going to enter the counterfeit business as a chinese die maker I think the Contemporary Georgian counterfeits would be the best place to start.  I have a lot of them and recently have been shocked at some of the prices they fetch in the US ...it is a big part of their history  

You should be on safer ground listing them as non-regal or contemporary copies - there are loads of that sort of listing all the time. "Fake" is probably a word to avoid...

Mind you, in 200 years' time, wonder if there will be a good market for today's Chinese copies and replicas?  Maybe "Chimney sweep of Leeds" (see above!) should just hang on for a couple of centuries! 😁

• Like 1

If you offer e bay sufficient evidence, they will take down a fake listing. They did once at my request. The details are on the forum somewhere.

But that was one amongst many. The vast majority we will never see.

As pointed out above, as long as they can make a profit, that's all they're really concerned about. They only pay the merest lip service to seller honesty.  

I think all you can reasonably do is keep a sharp lookout in your areas of interest. 

5 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

The seller ID may be fresh but that idiosyncratic voice is familiar.

Is this now a third 1933 penny and accompanying tall tale in as many years?

Oh lord, it's her again. And no amount of mentioning "the misses" will disguise the fact.

13 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:
6 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

The seller ID may be fresh but that idiosyncratic voice is familiar.

Is this now a third 1933 penny and accompanying tall tale in as many years?

Oh lord, it's her again. And no amount of mentioning "the misses" will disguise the fact.

Quite a house in Leeds she lives in... One of her earlier 1933's was found inside a clock, I seem to remember, and now one up her chimney... 😉

Wonder where the next one will be discovered... Any guesses?!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Quite a house in Leeds she lives in... One of her earlier 1933's was found inside a clock, I seem to remember, and now one up her chimney... 😉

Perhaps she has a bun in the oven and is in need of additional child support at least if he gets the 260K someone offered he should have enough to keep her in the lifestyle she is accustomed to

Edited by DrLarry

1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

The third came in a Whitman folder with a date run of other worn pennies and a crude hole had been cut in the margin of one of the pages for the 1933. The collection had been bought at a charity sale held at The Church of St Cross in Middleton. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

There's only one response to "one up her chimney"...

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg.da7550c02ece533f149c1b6319c84f0e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/7/2023 at 12:51 PM, Martinminerva said:

More from Blakeyboy's favourite seller...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234888374858?hash=item36b0702a4a:g:wtsAAOSw~ZNj4fCP

Who would have thought that verdigris would be such a selling point?! 😉

Not worth £20 and thats with the box

3 hours ago, HistoricCoinage said:

That's useful if you live in the outer Hebrides. 

• Like 1

I despair, I really do.

How long would it have taken this div to search eBay for the same coin before listing? It took me as long as it took to type '50 pence 1997 Bailiwick of Guernsey'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=50+pence+1997+bailiwick+of+guernsey&_sacat=11116

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385421080558?hash=item59bce2f7ee:g:SCwAAOSwhtxj7Tf7

I see the lucky chimney find is at £37, with 17 bids, and with 6 days still to run. I suspect it likely a few rascals having a bit of fun?

Poor dear, she's been let down in the past by winning bidders who failed to pay up for her 1933 pennies hasn't she.

Tsk, you just can't depend on people these days.

So, fingers crossed this time eh? Told it may be worth around a quarter of a million, so listed on eBay, without reserve, at a starting price of 99p.🤞

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

I see the lucky chimney find is at £37, with 17 bids, and with 6 days still to run. I suspect it likely a few rascals having a bit of fun?

Poor dear, she's been let down in the past by winning bidders who failed to pay up for her 1933 pennies hasn't she.

So, fingers crossed this time eh? Told it may be worth around a quarter of a million, so listed on eBay, without reserve, at a starting price of 99p.🤞

Best little fireside story I’ve read in quite some time, that…they should be selling the story, NOT the coins, pure entertainment :D 

• Like 1

Come the expected world food shortage, this should have value when we're growing our own.

Bullshit.jpg

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2023 at 10:24 PM, Michael-Roo said:

She says that all the money is going to charity but then contradicts with 10% going to charity a pile of BS

images.jpg

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

Marleybob just loves to be rencarnated, always under a different name .

She could turn into a hindu it might help with the rencarnation , though it might not help her making up believable stories....

• Like 1

Best example you'll ever find!

Assuming the example is fake and damaged...

• Like 1

MADE LAST WEEK IN CHINA

1 hour ago, HistoricCoinage said:

Best example you'll ever find!

Assuming the example is fake and damaged...

"The coin does have a small hole on it likely to be from use."

Eh?

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:55 PM, Coinery said:

Best little fireside story I’ve read in quite some time, that…they should be selling the story, NOT the coins, pure entertainment :D 

Currently at £54 and 24 bids.