British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

What on earth is a pointy ear variety?

Very rare although quite common on the planet Vulcan, I understand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

Very rare although quite common on the planet Vulcan, I understand.

logical...........:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, Diaconis said:

He very likely plagiarised part of Baldwins description unaware that “as struck” described the grade. Superb😂

https://www.baldwin.co.uk/product/1839-proof-penny-about-as-struck/#tab-description

Well that's an appalling description as well. It's full of little dings, especially on the reverse. Also the marks in the reverse legend.

16 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

It sold for £173!!!

The weird thing is - if you look at the bidding history - the last 4 bids came from the same bidder and for the same (winning) amount, but at separate times.

If items can be fakes, so can the bids.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alfnail said:

If the seller had only looked down, there is an AUNC example for a "mere" £185 in 'Similar items' !

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Am I missing something here or does this seem a crazy price?!?

1887 Crown

Same question, am i missing anything?

I think it's just the usual nonsense of a so-called 'MS64' being worth 5-10 times one in AU.  As said on another thread,  happy for so-called investors to pile in and leave the 'normal' coins to us collectors.

11 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Am I missing something here or does this seem a crazy price?!?

1887 Crown

Crazy beyond belief. It seems people will pay absolutely anything for a plastic tomb.

This is now surreal.

I've had to get used to the prices of certain audio gear going through the roof, as in a  mixing desk being £400k etc, 

you can understand it to some extent,  but this mad coin frenzy makes no sense, and will crash horribly, surely...............

Latest Heritage sale has a 65  with an opening price of $1K. Silly prices, but if someone is prepared to spend that, it isn't up to the vendor to dampen the market. At the end of the day, it might feel like a night out at the Comedy Store, but does provide a substantial amount of free entertainment - the price of which can't go any lower.

• Like 2

Indeed. This is why even though I do not plan imminent sale, I so strongly have to consider Heritage from a pure monetary standpoint - absolutely ridiculous prices seem to be fetched although some of the European auctions are seeming to match them these days on many higher priced items. I think I had mentioned that both Heritage and Stacks-Bowers will offer the consignor 105% of the price fetched on items in the 5k USD and up category.

7 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Indeed. This is why even though I do not plan imminent sale, I so strongly have to consider Heritage from a pure monetary standpoint - absolutely ridiculous prices seem to be fetched although some of the European auctions are seeming to match them these days on many higher priced items. I think I had mentioned that both Heritage and Stacks-Bowers will offer the consignor 105% of the price fetched on items in the 5k USD and up category.

That's only good if it is the full story. 105% might leave them with 15% of the buyers premium, but in the case of Heritage at least you have to get the coins slabbed. Offset that against the 105% and it will reduce. If the slabbing is arranged by Heritage, then I wouldn't be surprised if palms are greased somewhere along the lines.

It might turn out to be no better than a sale where the consignor is given or negotiates zero commission, which happens on occasion with the right material.

Well if people are silly enough just to pay for slab numbers, without even worrying what the coin looks like, then they must have more money than sense. As for the grading companies overgrading, then i don't know what can be done about that.

Uh, yes that would be correct. However, if it puts money in your pocket then I guess sometimes you sell out. Circumstances dictated and I sold a nicer coin through Stacks about 4 years ago and indeed got the 105%, and I had it slabbed myself (whereas I should have had them do it as Rob suggests).  Actually it is the full story and  I have no connections to any of these US companies although when I did have more money in my pocket got on well with some of the Brit principles; interestingly and despite this I some years ago sold through Spink a few and was very disappointed.

Beware of coins in PLASTIC TOMBS 

Sometimes you just can't  get the staff !!!  supposed to be a MULE ....you would think by now teeth and dots would have been known to them....correct me if I am wrong but it looks nothing like mine $1500if you want it 

2864922 (311x400).jpg

2864920 (400x267).jpg

2864921 (400x267).jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Confused 1

1839 Proof Penny About As Struck

Condition:
--not specified

Price:
£1,200.00

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg