British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

19 minutes ago, jelida said:

Is this really a modified effigy, despite the slab? Looking at the BM initials, and the colon after BRITT,  I have doubts. But apparently a good investment.

Jerry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265719087505?hash=item3dde178191:g:HdMAAOSweUFimGwD

No, definitely not an ME.

The lower colon dot after GRA should be virtually touching the A.

Plus other indicators not present.  

50 minutes ago, jelida said:

Is this really a modified effigy, despite the slab? Looking at the BM initials, and the colon after BRITT,  I have doubts. But apparently a good investment.

Jerry

definitely non an ME . 

Looks like somebody's been in contact with the seller. This is now added to the description:-

GeorgeV 1926 ME PennyOne of top 10 graded by NGC and PCGS.

If this is what you are looking for your collection or as an investment,then it is doubtful that another like this will come on the market in the near future.

PLEASE IGNORE THIS AUCTION<THERE ARE SERIOUS DOUBTS AS TO ITS DESCRIPTION>PLEASE DO NOT MAKE AN OFFER.

5 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

That is NOT a ME - I can tell at first glance, even on worn examples. Surely, NGC should know better?

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Looks like somebody's been in contact with the seller. This is now added to the description:-

Yes,  I messaged him earlier. He is going to approach the American auction house that sold him the coin (see the sticker in second pic).

Jerry

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That is NOT a ME - I can tell at first glance, even on worn examples. Surely, NGC should know better?

That raises an interesting point. We know it's not the only error/omission from NGC - for example I bought a slabbed "1826 GB penny" last year, with no reference to the fact it was thin line down saltire. There have been others.

Presumably their lack of available technical expertise, or just not bothering to check, has led them to simply accept the customer's assertion that the 1926 penny was ME. Might be a mistake on the customer's part, compounded by NGC. Or, more worryingly, it could be a cynical attempt (successful, if so) by someone to fool NGC, and thus, by further extension, trick a subsequent buyer of the slabbed coin into thinking it was something else, with the apparent assurance of the NGC marking, thus lowering the potential buyer's guard.       

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That raises an interesting point. We know it's not the only error/omission from NGC - for example I bought a slabbed "1826 GB penny" last year, with no reference to the fact it was thin line down saltire. There have been others.

Presumably their lack of available technical expertise, or just not bothering to check, has led them to simply accept the customer's assertion that the 1926 penny was ME. Might be a mistake on the customer's part, compounded by NGC. Or, more worryingly, it could be a cynical attempt (successful, if so) by someone to fool NGC, and thus, by further extension, trick a subsequent buyer of the slabbed coin into thinking it was something else, with the apparent assurance of the NGC marking, thus lowering the potential buyer's guard.       

Yet you would think - it being such a major rarity (especially in high grade) - that a reputable company would do their research? I mean, it's not rocket science.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yet you would think - it being such a major rarity (especially in high grade) - that a reputable company would do their research? I mean, it's not rocket science.

I have purchased a number of complete mistakes over the years.  The worst was a slabbed 1837 Penny  which when it arrived from the US turned out to be a half penny.  It is so difficult buying in the US when they slab everything to use my eyes to check.  Of course the seller was adamant it could not be a half penny because the NGC had told them so 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:42 PM, Peckris 2 said:

You would indeed. It also has to be said that mistakes like these will gradually undermine the company's reputation.

• Like 1

What is wrong with people? Currently £84 plus postage on eBay! It’s not like it ain’t obvious!

41923E94-DA04-44F9-8475-E3064CE3B6B4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Coinery said:

What is wrong with people? Currently £84 plus postage on eBay! It’s not like it ain’t obvious!

That's nuts.

• Haha 4

On 6/5/2022 at 9:32 AM, Coinery said:

It was "sold" but relisted. Then it is "sold" ...

6 hours ago, Sword said:

And it sold for even more the second time!

An unbelievable £116 

4 minutes ago, Coinery said:

And it sold for even more the second time!

An unbelievable £116 

But "sold" on eBay doesn't necessarily mean that money has changed hands. 

8 hours ago, Sword said:

Obviously bought by a total nutter :lol:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

This looks like a fake coin in a fake slab to me:

Trade Dollar

There are none of the bag marks on the coin that were visible last time it appeared at auction:

Stack Bowers

The slab is definitely fake.  Can't have two different slabbed coins with the same PCGS number.

38 minutes ago, Nick said:

The slab is definitely fake.  Can't have two different slabbed coins with the same PCGS number.

And look at his recent feedback.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

And look at his recent feedback.

Jerry

Very telling.

27 minutes ago, Nick said:

Very telling.

beside the fact that it tells that he’s a right 🎩 , his MO intrigues me. He uses the correct pcgs number and description but with bar codes from different slabs, cheap ones probably. Why not use the matching number and bar code? lot of effort for what 🤔