British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Must be April fool's day.

Screenshot 2021-11-22 170943.jpg

15 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Must be April fool's day.

OMG. Even if you move the decimal point one place to the left, it's still optimistic.

Not just the 36 penny, see his other stuff 1977 crown £549.99!

• Haha 2

It's not only Ebay.  I was idly trawling Etsy and saw 1898/99/1900 1d's on offer for a bargain £1,000.  They are Fair-VG at best (the first two arguably worse). 

Edit:  maybe they are a bargain after all - I've just seen a 1936 1d in Fair-Fine on Etsy for £27,300!! (No, it isn't an Edward VIII).  I think I'll give up now.  

Edited by pokal02
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pokal02 said:

It's not only Ebay.  I was idly trawling Etsy and saw 1898/99/1900 1d's on offer for a bargain £1,000.  They are Fair-VG at best (the first two arguably worse). 

Edit:  maybe they are a bargain after all - I've just seen a 1936 1d in Fair-Fine on Etsy for £27,300!! (No, it isn't an Edward VIII).  I think I'll give up now.  

Well the price of scrap bronze is on the up you might show a profit by the year 2600

Again, not eBay.

This time Colin Cooke (not the man himself, obviously).   AEF, and delightful.

AEF? Delightful? Er....

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 00.08.57 copy.jpg

• Confused 2

Looking at the hair details looks more like GVF.

Remember some coins look better in hand , must say it looks like it's been lightly cleaned at one time as well , love the mole ........

Edited by copper123

Warts and all, eh?

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 12:20 AM, Michael-Roo said:

Again, not eBay.

This time Colin Cooke (not the man himself, obviously).   AEF, and delightful.

AEF? Delightful? Er....

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 00.08.57 copy.jpg

Not AEF or delightful...but early obverse die state ! £6.75k is a bit much. I wonder what it would cost at a coin show...

• Like 1

Yes, pre obverse die crack would be a bonus but surely a realistic grade would be NVF? 

10 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Yes, pre obverse die crack would be a bonus but surely a realistic grade would be NVF? 

After looking on their website one can see that the die crack, early though it is, has succumbed to the usual contemporary tooling.

The leaves on the wreath and high points on hair are flattened. The reverse shows wear concomitant with that exhibited on obverse, lion’s breast and ribs in escutcheon, jewels in crown, Irish harp etc. Peripheral residual lustre is present so I’d give it a generous Sheldon of EF45, so in that context it is “extremely fine” though only equating to VF in ‘real money’.

I’ve seen worse examples go for more than £6,750* and better examples go for less. 

* here’s an example of someone blindly trusting the grade on the slab (MS63😂) and shelling out £11,500 for an example which I’d have to be put in a headlock to offer £4,000 for.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-cromwell-crown-1658-7-ms63-ngc-/a/3056-30267.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-Thumbnail-022817&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

I agree really rarther poor and £11.500 (?) totally mad , nowhere near ms63

On 12/27/2021 at 11:56 AM, Diaconis said:

After looking on their website one can see that the die crack, early though it is, has succumbed to the usual contemporary tooling.

The leaves on the wreath and high points on hair are flattened. The reverse shows wear concomitant with that exhibited on obverse, lion’s breast and ribs in escutcheon, jewels in crown, Irish harp etc. Peripheral residual lustre is present so I’d give it a generous Sheldon of EF45, so in that context it is “extremely fine” though only equating to VF in ‘real money’.

I’ve seen worse examples go for more than £6,750* and better examples go for less. 

* here’s an example of someone blindly trusting the grade on the slab (MS63😂) and shelling out £11,500 for an example which I’d have to be put in a headlock to offer £4,000 for.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-cromwell-crown-1658-7-ms63-ngc-/a/3056-30267.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-Thumbnail-022817&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Ah, good catch. Tooled I think these are barely collectable. It's not such a rare coin.

I bet the HA coin is tooled too, it looks like the die flaw on his breast has been abrasively ground down and polished off.

Amazing what people will pay for mediocre coins in slabs. I knew a chap who wanted £2k for a dog of a Cromwell halfcrown in a "VF30" slab...not only was it not VF, it had smoothing in the fields among other problems. I wouldn't have paid a grand; I advised to consign to auction...

DNW got him his money though ! https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?lot_uid=393883

Edited by JLS
  • Like 1

and they say you can’t polish a turd

• Haha 2

Next time he'll roll it in glitter....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

It's been mounted previously. Ironically, if the ring had been left on it might just have been worth $12.50 to someone, as it then had a purpose. Now it's just a piece of highly polished scrap of use to neither collectors nor jewellery afficionados.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Silly Wabbit, that is a gold off metal strike! LOL.............Well, maybe not.

• Haha 1

Totally against eBay rules! He should be reported to eBay,  but I can no longer see a suitable category for reporting this...

If anyone knows what options to use to report the items, plural, he sells, with his small print that these are not actual pictures, please do so and tell us here how to do likewise!

Edited by Martinminerva

51 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Totally against eBay rules! He should be reported to eBay,  but I can no longer see a suitable category for reporting this...

If anyone knows what options to use to report the items, plural, he sells, with his small print that these are not actual pictures, please do so and tell us here how to do likewise!

What's the point? They won't do anything that interferes with their profits. 

• Haha 1