British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

8 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

You're absolutely right Bruce, we've been following her exploits here for a while now.

Three years and three 1933 pennies, each with a background story as unbelievable and entertaining as the free form word jazz syntax of her listings.

Then, of course, there was the Gothic crown....

There are a lot of people out there who refuse to accept that these are modern copies.

A few days ago I was asked by someone who wanted me to authenticate some American 1940s cent rarity. I recommended he use PCGS or NGC as I knew nothing about US coinage and US coinage was their bread and butter. He said he wanted a professional to do this as he had no confidence in them. He had paid his subs to both companies and submitted a load of coins as he had all the rarities - 1933 penny, 1954 penny...... and they hadn't authenticated a single one. So he reiterated he wanted a professional appraisal. I suggested he use PCGS or NGC as US coinage was their bread and butter. I could go on...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With regard to the "1933 pennies" and other manifestly obvious rubbish, should we protect people from their own stupidity, or do we carry on along the lines of caveat emptor? 

It's sometimes difficult to believe that seemingly intelligent individuals can be so naively dense. Sadly you're going to get those who will exploit such lack of awareness, for their own ends.     

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

I am not referring to any incident in particular.  Bit it is difficult to protect people from scams partly due to their own greed. For example, you sometimes see scammers using the ancient three-card to fleece money from people in London.

The gold ring scam in Paris: https://europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/paris-gold-ring-scam.htm

I remember somebody claiming to be selling "gold" chains real cheap on a London pavement because they were "stolen". 

Some scammers also play on people's sympathy to part with money. (Please feel sorry for my young child, or elderly and ill relative etc)

Education can help people avoid losing big money in scams to an extent. But greed can convince some people to believe in the most ridiculous stories (or so the scammers would hope). An infamous seller once claimed that her special banknotes arrived by "airmail". She woke up one morning and find them attached to a balloon trapped in a tree and they are worth thousands. People who believe a story like that can't be saved. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Gothic crowns if you are referring to MB

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Gothic crowns if you are referring to MB

Of course, you're quite right, there were more than one.

I wonder if we'll see this bid up to 8K for a second time?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/255207897503?item=255207897503&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

19 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

And so the silly bids (or non-bids, or more likely shill bids) start to roll in...

Looking at the bids and feedback scores of the bidders, clearly some are the same as last time, including a suspicious "private" bidder.

Smells decidedly of fish, methinks...

On 11/4/2021 at 12:25 AM, Michael-Roo said:

You're absolutely right Bruce, we've been following her exploits here for a while now.

Three years and three 1933 pennies, each with a background story as unbelievable and entertaining as the free form word jazz syntax of her listings.

Of course there is only ONE missing 1933 penny , so marley bob must be pretty lucky in her life to find three

....or a rat.......

On 11/4/2021 at 10:29 AM, 1949threepence said:

With regard to the "1933 pennies" and other manifestly obvious rubbish, should we protect people from their own stupidity, or do we carry on along the lines of caveat emptor? 

Very tough question. At the moment the only way of doing the former seems to be to add the sellers' names to a maintained list of cheats like http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html

and http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php?topic=1218.0

I suspect MB may be part of a group with a bunch of Ebay names and possibly different house addresses who shill bid each other up as required.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember from a while ago there was a website that you could upload known fake coins. Forgery network?

just look on alibaba

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:07 PM, Martinminerva said:

And so the silly bids (or non-bids, or more likely shill bids) start to roll in...

Looking at the bids and feedback scores of the bidders, clearly some are the same as last time, including a suspicious "private" bidder.

Smells decidedly of fish, methinks...

£590 and counting. 34 bids from 5 bidders.

She must be losing her touch. "Only" £720 this time, less than a tenth of the previous "sale".🙂

Any bets on if it will reappear yet again?!

"We ain't coin experts and I didn't even know about the penny  we  listed them in good faith..."

"there is a book of old george v.. Elizabeth ii edward vi.. edward vii  penny's it has no cover just the plastic inner holders  and the coins there is 12 coins per page and 8 pages in total I can see a 1818kn [Sic] a 1930 a 1919h a 1912h and some 1921 key date pennies and others the book has duplicate dates but also some key date coins I think there is around 4 or 5.. key date 1921 pennies the listing also has some silver coins"

She didn't know about the 1933 penny but knew about the KN and H pennies and key dates?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, Sword said:

My guess is that "1933" object will at some point be relisted with a shocking asking price of between £50K to £100k. It will then attract more than 50 "bids". Bidders tend to have feedbacks of 1, 0, 179, 705, or private. Then it will be relisted again with some excuse about the "bidder" wouldn't pay up. Then the game will repeat itself. 

I am losing my touch too:

"1933" object will at some point be relisted: correct

Shocking asking price of between £50K to £100k: wrong. It's for "free" this time

Attract more than 50 "bids": wrong. Just 38 "bids"

Bidders tend to have feedbacks of 1, 0, 179, 705, or private: correct. But bidder 705 (which by total coincidence is the feedback score of MB) wasn't used this time

Then it will be relisted again with some excuse about the "bidder" wouldn't pay up: let's wait and see

Edited by Sword
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reassuringly in "Sold" listings, none seem to make over about £25, and that is for a decent Uncirculated example, so the punters are not being taken in by this hype.

I wonder if all the con-artists have got together and decided to "push 1921"?

• Like 1

My tribute to marleybob

We're scammin':
I wanna scam it wid you.
We're scammin', scammin',
And I hope you like scammin', too.

Ain't no rules, ain't no vow, we can do it anyhow:
I'n'I will see you through,
'Cos everyday we pay the price with a little sacrifice,
Scammin' till the jam is through.

We're scammin' -
To think that jammin' was a thing of the past;
We're scammin',
And I hope this jam is gonna last.

No bullet can stop us now, we neither beg nor we won't bow;
Neither can be bought nor sold.

Repeat first verse ..........

• Haha 5

@copper123

Perhaps you also know the lyrics to 'No Bidder, No Cry'?

• Haha 4

"I scammed the Sheriff, but I didn't hoax the Deputy"...

....and so it begins....

• Haha 2

And her favourite doughnuts are…

Wi jammin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get up, Shill up

Shill up bunch of shites

• Haha 3

Swinging Blue Jeans- 🎶 For goodness sake, these are just shitty shitty fakes...🎶

Commodores  -    🎶 It's once, twice, three times on Ebay....🎶

I can only apologise.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here's the latest addition to her balderdash...

"I''ve been messed around once and cancled it the second time this is the last time I list them dad was offered 200 for them by a dealer he said no then 300 he still said no and was asked to leave them with him. That one he did refuse.  Now the first time they hit 8000

By a bidder then the second time a freemans..1  bidded 720 and I cancled the order sorry  I won't take 720 for them when the coins hit 8000 pound  so im now listing them at a buy now price because dad suffers from PTSD it ain't doing him any good and  the coins are a total pain in the seating area. and me and dad wish we didn't find"

Apart from her poor use of English (and what on Earth does she mean by a freemans..1 ? Maybe an 1860 penny 😏), who does she think she's kidding? There's only one person who's messing around!

"This is the last time I list them" - yes please! At least that'll be one fewer nonsense listing to wade through when looking for interesting stuff. Somehow, though, I don't think this will be the last time she lists...