British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

10 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Somebody at work got very confused about this the other week about an invoice from a USA company. They thought that 02/10/20 was the February 10th of this year. I had to point out that the year was wrong. I did laugh.

Actually it has caused confusion and irritation before on many occasions, to both sides. In any dealings with Americans or American companies it's always best to write the day and the actual month in, like "14th March 2021", so it can't be misread, and to confirm any dates with them using the month. So if they put 10.2.21, that they meant October 2nd 2021. As in "thanks for your invitation to xxxxxx set for October 2nd 2021".       

• Like 1

It is most laughable in the 'Paul Is Dead' conspiracy theory. The theory goes that Paul had his "fatal car crash" ("he blew his mind out in a car..." :lol:) on 9th November 66 after a row with the other 3 in the recording studio. If you hold a mirror (no really!) across the drum on the cover of Sgt Pepper's you get " I ONE IX ^ HE DIE ", the first part translating to the date. Sadly for these loonies, the British date translates to 11th September.

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Haha 1

Now I would normally cry ‘forgery’ regarding this gold hammered coin from an old family collection, but it has been verified by three professional numismatists so it must be OK. I would normally have some doubts about a couple of his sold coins too, but their buyers are happy so they are obviously good. Is my cynicism waning  in my advancing years? Or is my liedar not correctly calibrated? Is lockdown tea-totalling not good for my health?  Surely I need to be told..........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1656-Hammered-Gold-crown-of-Commonwealth-of-England/254903874296?hash=item3b597472f8:g:cXgAAOSwt5ZgS58u

Jerry

Hmm.....I don't think you are wrong...I don't like any of the coins he sold...strange how has only unusual rare stuff to sell....

that 'gold crown' looks cast, not hammered....

Doesn't look right to me either, but it could just be awful photos.

It is similar in size to a 1p which weighs 3.36grammes yet it only weighs in at 2.36 grammes🤔

It should weigh over 9grammes

Edited by Diaconis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

This coin has been looked at and valuated by professional experts of three prominent numismatic agencies and it is identified as it has described here.

Funny he does not say who they are😕

1 hour ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Indeed. It still looks like a cast, as mentioned before.

2 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I've asked! Will I get a reply? Watch this space...

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 8:55 AM, Diaconis said:

It is similar in size to a 1p which weighs 3.36grammes yet it only weighs in at 2.36 grammes🤔

It should weigh over 9grammes

In view of its size and thickness as a hammered coin, I reckon the weight given may be in the ballpark for a genuine coin. However, I agree it looks 'dodgy' and could be a casting which because thicker would add weight to equate with a thinner gold coin. 

Frank

I also asked which 'numismatic agencies' a couple of days ago - so far no answer.

Frank

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

However, I agree it looks 'dodgy' and could be a casting which because thicker would add weight to equate with a thinner gold coin. 

Assuming fairly pure gold, from the diameter and weight shown the thickness should be just under 0.5mm. Nearer 1mm if lead. I've asked him to post some edge-on photos.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I also asked which 'numismatic agencies' a couple of days ago - so far no answer.

Frank

Ditto.

On 3/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, UPINSMOKE said:

Probably some bloke down the pub he saw three of when blotto.

Pubs are full of experts on all sorts of things I've noticed over the years - kind as well, all willing to give you their expert opinion free of charge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Probably some bloke down the pub he saw three of when blotto.

Pubs are full of experts on all sorts of things I've noticed over the years - kind as well, all willing to give you their expert opinion free of charge. 

Experts are those that help substantiate your opinions or claims....   Otherwise they don't know what they are talking about....

• Like 2

Definition of an expert: An "ex" is a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. 

• Like 3

Yep! 

Try the world of hifi and Pro Audio......sometimes these 'experts' are nothing more than snake oil salesmen....

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Yep! 

Try the world of hifi and Pro Audio......sometimes these 'experts' are nothing more than snake oil salesmen....

Remember the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch where the two hifi shop assistants took the mick mercilessly out of a customer?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Remember the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch where the two hifi shop assistants took the mick mercilessly out of a customer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I still love that.

It SO summed up how it actually was at the time.

I worked in a high-end audio place in the early 90's, and we all would do those lines with customers who had a sense of humour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I still love that.

It SO summed up how it actually was at the time.

I worked in a high-end audio place in the early 90's, and we all would do those lines with customers who had a sense of humour!

"So what kind of watts do you want guv - RMS, Peak Power, or James?"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

"So what kind of watts do you want guv - RMS, Peak Power, or James?"

"Erm, what what? "

Easy on the Slimline salad dressing please?

These five farthings are currently on sale for a bargain £149 pounds for the lot - personally I would not give a fiver for the lot

5farthings.jpg

On 3/15/2021 at 10:33 PM, jelida said:

has now been relisted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254912685349?ViewItem=&item=254912685349

still ignoring our requests for the names of his team of experts, and a pic of the coin edge, but still offering: "feel free toemail me with any questions". Maybe not using toemail was our mistake?

Edited by JJs
move line from quote into main body
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JJs said:

has now been relisted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254912685349?ViewItem=&item=254912685349

still ignoring our requests for the names of his team of experts, and a pic of the coin edge, but still offering: "feel free toemail me with any questions". Maybe not using toemail was our mistake?

toemail... would that mean kicking him into next week?

• Haha 3