British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I'll alert the Media.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sword said:

Regarding the "1933" object: looks like the top bidder wasn't genuine.

From the description of one of her current items: "I'm letting the rest of mums collection go I would have listed mums penny with these but I dont have to sell that one if I don't want that one may be kept"

Hopefully she will be keeping that as an "heirloom" and the item and the story will not surface again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unauthenticated-1933-george-v-bronze-type-penny-gap-filler-dirty-bent-read-all/124535324180?hash=item1cfee23e14:g:I4cAAOSwYBRf8Z6b

She didn't take long. Relisted with starting price of 10k. "This coin was cancelled at 370 due to the private offers and the amount of good feedback. people saying it could worth alot .. I had a lot of them. So now it's simply going on for the price of a car then a girl will be happy"

"but I really can't say if it's genuine i can only tell you what mum told me so it's fifty fifty chance"

Edited by Sword

On 1/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, Diaconis said:

Her cunning ploy seems to be working, 28 bids, currently at £320 with 22hrs to go. Where will it end?

Indeed she is a cunning stunt

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sword said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unauthenticated-1933-george-v-bronze-type-penny-gap-filler-dirty-bent-read-all/124535324180?hash=item1cfee23e14:g:I4cAAOSwYBRf8Z6b

She didn't take long. Relisted with starting price of 10k. "This coin was cancelled at 370 due to the private offers and the amount of good feedback. people saying it could worth alot .. I had a lot of them. So now it's simply going on for the price of a car then a girl will be happy"

"but I really can't say if it's genuine i can only tell you what mum told me so it's fifty fifty chance"

Fifty fifty chance? Really? That would suggest there's a 50% chance it's kosher.

So it's a car now? You may remember, when first brought to our attention, she wanted a daft amount (a million, wasn't it?) for a pound coin featuring a minor production error, because she wanted to buy a fish and chip shop.

Must've been one swanky chippy…...

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Fifty fifty chance. Really? That would suggest there's a 50% chance it's kosher.

So it's a car now? You may remember, when first brought to our attention, she wanted a daft amount (a million, wasn't it?) for a pound coin featuring a minor production error, because she wanted to buy a fish and chip shop.

They need a million to pay for the chippy because its in middleton - I have been a few times and it would give Jaywick a run for its money on being the most rundown place in the uk.

Thats why they breed ebay fraudsters so well there - they just sit on a computer every day and dream up bull*shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

It was a million to begin with. Then reduced to 180K for a chip shop. Then reduced to £5 start and sold for a bit over £12 from memory. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Each and every one of these tins of random junk has a fake valuable coin placed on top of the pile in the lower right corner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/1960john060/m.html?item=402645840095&hash=item5dbf8ff0df%3Ag%3A0SEAAOSwI-BgAJLB&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Interestingly in the detailed description he does highlight that the apparently valuable coin is a restrike. Covers himself when the disappointed buyer realises his mistake!

Yes, caveat emptor. 

Nothing random going on here, and the intention is clear, the fakes have been bought with the intention of selling on at a profit to people who shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Interestingly in the detailed description he does highlight that the apparently valuable coin is a restrike. Covers himself when the disappointed buyer realises his mistake!

Tin NOT included!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

"Restrike" requires the coin to be officially reissued. My opinion is that the term cannot be used for a fake coin. He should have called the coin "fake" or "reproduction" in my view. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Tin NOT included!!!

Obviously needed for his next sale. 

23 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Tin NOT included!!!

I thought you were kidding 😳

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Obviously needed for his next sale. 

Old Tins can make good money. It is probably worth more than the coins😁

On 1/17/2021 at 6:44 PM, Michael-Roo said:

What's the betting it's the four legged tripod? The mint have already confirmed this isn't a mistake but the designer's personal interpretation.

You have got to laugh.  Correct guess!

She has finally revealed "her" valuable secret. Apparently she has noticed that The Guardian has reported on 5th January that the design of the HG Wells two pound is not faithful to the novels. She even said "I will be soon letting the cat out of the bag ..and informing sellers that there selling errors " after it has been reported in national newspaper.

The Guardian reported "Asked about the errors, a spokesperson for The Royal Mint said, “We have created a new £2 coin to celebrate the life and works of HG Wells. The coin depicts scenes from famous works such as War of the Worlds and the Invisible Man as imagined by designer Chris Costello.” Costello has said he was inspired by “vintage HG Wells book covers and movie posters”."

I guess she did that since she has a large stock to sell. Asking price? Just a round hundred.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massive-error-2021-H-G-WELLS-TWO-2-POUND-BRILLIANT-UNCIRCULATED/124543026219?hash=item1cff57c42b:g:VJQAAOSwpjxgDaXW

The Royal Mint is selling the 2021 year set for £55 and it includes the HG Wells £2, Walter Scott £2, pitch fork £2 and a £5 piece etc. 

I wonder if she think that errors in films make them more desirable!

Edited by Sword

On 1/22/2021 at 6:06 PM, Sword said:

"Restrike" requires the coin to be officially reissued. My opinion is that the term cannot be used for a fake coin. He should have called the coin "fake" or "reproduction" in my view. 

Indeed - there's a gold Victorian sov in one tin. Is a "restrike" of a gold coin also in gold?

9 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

You would have thought they had got the message by now that no one will pay that much for it. Last Revision April 2020 - it has been there at least 8 months already.

10 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Whoopee, I'm rich. I've got boxes full of this stuff from emptying cabin drawers after a trip to sea. 😎

• Haha 1

Maybe he uses a metal detector on every envelope that fall onto his mat....

• Haha 1

Aww look, this little penny’s blushing in embarrassment at the bollox written by its vendor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Of-The-Rarest-1971-Pennies-in-the-World-1p-New-Penny/353369299252?hash=item5246739934:g:qucAAOSwKepf0mS8

Jerry

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jelida said:

Aww look, this little penny’s blushing in embarrassment at the bollox written by its vendor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Of-The-Rarest-1971-Pennies-in-the-World-1p-New-Penny/353369299252?hash=item5246739934:g:qucAAOSwKepf0mS8

It is definitely the rarest 1971 penny dated 2016... :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

It is definitely the rarest 1971 penny dated 2016... :lol:

Yep. I've not seen one either. Been looking for years...............

• Haha 2

The fraudster who made this ‘sixpence’  caught that ‘morning after’ feeling perfectly! Ah, I remember it well.....oh no, I’ve forgotten! Bring back our pubs!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coin-sixpence-uk-1829/284164234670?hash=item4229821dae:g:atEAAOSwu9NgEteg

Jerry

• Haha 1