British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

41 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Uggh, I think this has happened to many of us. I find it to happen when they are flying through the lots on different venues....

Yes, but if it shows that I have been outbid in real time, I can bid again. If it shows me I was top bidder 10 minutes after the lot closed, unsurprisingly I am chuffed, but more importantly, I have then mentally allocated the cost of winning against future bids because the money pot has a finite amount in it. i.e. it affects any subsequent bids.

If the automated auction software is flying through lots on different venues and can't keep up, then bidders need to know that their bid might be ignored/rejected/deemed irrelevant so that they don't rely on the software for real time bidding. That's making a good case for not bidding on sites that use auction mobility software, which personally I find a real pain in the arse to use. Spink and DNW are much better as you log on and that's it.

To find out that I came second only when the results were posted is nonsense. Hence the reason for questioning whether post hammer bids were being taken.

Just had a novel experience on ebay, one that I can't quite get my head round. A coin I was reasonably interested in was on a BIN for £34.99, with a 'make an offer button.'  So, I made an offer of £25, which in my view is about right for it. Maybe a shade more, but not at the asking price. Seller has come back with a counter-offer higher than the original BIN price!!!! Admittedly, not by much, but even so...... The only thought I have is that I've insulted him with the offer and he's so pissed he's counter-offered as he has. Any ideas?

18 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Just had a novel experience on ebay, one that I can't quite get my head round. A coin I was reasonably interested in was on a BIN for £34.99, with a 'make an offer button.'  So, I made an offer of £25, which in my view is about right for it. Maybe a shade more, but not at the asking price. Seller has come back with a counter-offer higher than the original BIN price!!!! Admittedly, not by much, but even so...... The only thought I have is that I've insulted him with the offer and he's so pissed he's counter-offered as he has. Any ideas?

He might have it listed several times at different prices. There's a few that do that.

Sometimes I've countered with a higher offer in the past. When people refuse to accept that you have no downward leeway possible and they ask time and again for you to move a bit, I sometimes agree to move by upping it a fiver. Means I've obliged by moving the price, and often means I get what I need.

54 minutes ago, Rob said:

He might have it listed several times at different prices. There's a few that do that.

Sometimes I've countered with a higher offer in the past. When people refuse to accept that you have no downward leeway possible and they ask time and again for you to move a bit, I sometimes agree to move by upping it a fiver. Means I've obliged by moving the price, and often means I get what I need.

Thanks Rob,  it just seemed a bit weird to counter offer at a higher price than the original BIN. Hey ho. Whatever the reason, I'm not interested at the higher price.

It's ok as long as people have a sense of humour. Some just think you're taking the p*** rather than being honest.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:27 PM, DaveG38 said:

Indeed, from the potential buyer's point of view, that's just plain weird. I mean, you could have then just decided to run with the original BIN price.

Maybe it was a genuine error, and he got one of the digits wrong. I think I might have sent a message querying the counter offer.

I wouldn't have thought £25 in response to an advertised "make offer" option, against £34.99 was unrealistic.  

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Indeed, from the potential buyer's point of view, that's just plain weird. I mean, you could have then just decided to run with the original BIN price.

Maybe it was a genuine error, and he got one of the digits wrong. I think I might have sent a message querying the counter offer.

I wouldn't have thought £25 in response to an advertised "make offer" option, against £34.99 was unrealistic.  

I was surprised as the coin is a decent but not top grade farthing type coin, from Jersey - not the most collected country for coins in the world. I've just been slowly collecting a date run of all pre-decimal Jersey coins, and this one would have filled a gap. I'm not bothered about missing it, but I did think that £25 was about right for it - maybe go to £30, but that's it. I would have thought the seller might have liked to see it gone, as these coins are not easy to sell. As I type this, I've just had a message from ebay suggesting I might like to mak an offer on it!!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

I was surprised as the coin is a decent but not top grade farthing type coin, from Jersey - not the most collected country for coins in the world. I've just been slowly collecting a date run of all pre-decimal Jersey coins, and this one would have filled a gap. I'm not bothered about missing it, but I did think that £25 was about right for it - maybe go to £30, but that's it. I would have thought the seller might have liked to see it gone, as these coins are not easy to sell. As I type this, I've just had a message from ebay suggesting I might like to mak an offer on it!!! 

The 48th shilling isn't too hard to obtain in decent grade - I think he's looking for about twice what it's worth. I paid £17 for this one:

Jersey 48th shilling 1877 (3).jpg

23 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

The 48th shilling isn't too hard to obtain in decent grade - I think he's looking for about twice what it's worth. I paid £17 for this one:

Jersey 48th shilling 1877 (3).jpg

It's a common coin. The problem is Krause I think, they price at $95 in XF, and $285 (!) in MS. 

Of course, really choice examples are only around the £100 mark: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1945140; for a circulated one £20-30 sounds plenty. 

Sure, only 38,400 pieces survived from the mintage...but that's actually quite a large number for a Channel Islands coin !

http://britnumsoc.blog/2021/01/01/caveat-emptor-some-modern-fakes-of-henry-iii-long-cross-pennies-rob-page/

This BNS-Blog article is very concerning and mentions these items showing up on eBay. Furthermore, the Eastern European fakes cited are very convincing compared to others from that region that always seem to 'jump out' as counterfeits.

This is worthwhile reading for all hammy collectors!

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 2

Further to my last post, this is a follow-up article about Richard II fakes...

http://britnumsoc.blog/2021/01/02/caveat-emptor-ii-modern-forgeries-of-richard-ii-d-i-greenhalgh/

Frank

11 hours ago, JLS said:

This is a 2017 £1.00 coin ,being a Recent Metal detector 'find' | eBay

going for that 5p profit over face value after postage costs, eBay/PayPal fees...

Obviously someone with too much time on their hands. Any normal person who finds a £1 coin would spend it!

4 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Obviously someone with too much time on their hands. Any normal person who finds a £1 coin would spend it!

I think I would have chosen a different Ebay userid than "fakingit-fun"!

• Like 2

I can’t believe it, Marleybob is trying it again, now with some extra corrosion and a modified storyline. See much previous discussion on this thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unauthenticated-1933-george-v-bronze-type-penny-gap-filler-dirty-bent-read-all/124513709632?hash=item1cfd986e40:g:I4cAAOSwYBRf8Z6b

Jerry

22 minutes ago, jelida said:

I can’t believe it, Marleybob is trying it again, now with some extra corrosion and a modified storyline. See much previous discussion on this thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unauthenticated-1933-george-v-bronze-type-penny-gap-filler-dirty-bent-read-all/124513709632?hash=item1cfd986e40:g:I4cAAOSwYBRf8Z6b

Jerry

A pity the only face on image or clear image is the museum picture - but perhaps not surprising. If it stays low enough it might be worth buying just to leave crappy feedback.

• Like 2

She's not receiving message either- 'unable to respond to my question'.....yeah right...how many times has she been reported?

STEPHEN 1136-1145 AD KING of ENGLAND ANGLO-NORMAN SILVER Ar PENNY 1,55 gr. | eBay

Yet another very blatant con from Eastern Europe!

Frank 

9 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

STEPHEN 1136-1145 AD KING of ENGLAND ANGLO-NORMAN SILVER Ar PENNY 1,55 gr. | eBay

Yet another very blatant con from Eastern Europe!

Frank 

Looks like a museum shop repro. Anyway, the seller has 91.7% feedback which tells you all you need to know!

On 5 January 2021 at 11:25 PM, blakeyboy said:

She's not receiving message either- 'unable to respond to my question'.....yeah right...how many times has she been reported?

:o

Last time she had one (Just last year wasn't it? What are the odds??? Er, none whatsoever.), didn't it come to her in a Whitman folder of pennies she'd bought at a jumble in the same church? So that's twice she's suggested she may have their valuable penny but still happy to offer it for sale on Ebay. Oh, and I see it appears she's now out of rare Indian silver coins. Plod should knock and have a word.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a reply she sent to me last week when I suggested that she be careful not to give it away as it is an extremely valuable coin.

"Hello im not going to give it away I don't have to sell the coin if I don't want to I have already asked ebay but I have read about the coin and mum really did live very near to the church and grandad lived at 25 acre road straight opposite the church I was going to do as mum asked but that was before they told my mum basically to sod off but the vicker was willing to stand graveside for 15 mins talking about God for 700 pound but wasn't willing to bless mum in the church that didn't go down well especially when people was still allowed in i was a girl when we used to look for the mice on the furnishings in the church and i know about the penny I looked it up myself but I dont know the authenticity so I can't list it as authentic ebay said i cant but im not about to send it in the post with what's going on there is nothing open thanks to boris and i really won't pop it in the post would you . And mum didnt like dealers So I don't have to sell it if I don't want to mum has other coins gold silver anyway I have to go to work 
Regards
Michelle"

This raises various questions, i.a. :

If not using commas was a crime would it result in long sentences?

- 'the mice on the furnishings' - Robert Thompson? I wonder if Thompson is known to have made pieces for St. Cross Church?

- Is a Vicker someone who is trained to apply Vicks?

etc etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I rather think Thompson's mice post-date her childhood!

Who is this guy trying to kid?

link

Double header indeed.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1