British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

The whole amount paid by someone on ebay for one of my coins goes to "An old person in need"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I resemble that remark...!

On 10/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, Taikonaut said:

Afters many years of collecting I still get caught out.

Recieved this today, turned out it was a fake, made out of cement of some kind, pieces broke off when arrived showing fresh grey mortar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAJAN-98-117-AD-E-Sestertius-FELICITAS-EF-/114418131133?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=3qWHrFC%252F9J1ic%252BqNH0j%252FZN5mCBM%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Got my money back but still cost me £8 sending it back

He has listed it again. Bloody amazing. You can actually see more of the legend missing from his latest photo because pieces were broken off when I recieved it. That crack at the top legend I reglued that back in.

Current listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAJAN-98-117-AD-E-Sestertius-FELICITAS/353247180118?hash=item523f2c3556:g:~MsAAOSwBWFfkbR0

Previous listing when I won it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAJAN-98-117-AD-E-Sestertius-FELICITAS-EF-/114418131133?nma=true&si=3qWHrFC%252F9J1ic%252BqNH0j%252FZN5mCBM%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

7 hours ago, Diaconis said:

Here's a very interesting article on Dodsley Cuff for those interested.

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n30a24.html

Very interesting. 

In fact so interesting that I logged into my Coin News account and read the article in its entirety from the August 2015 edition.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Very interesting. 

In fact so interesting that I logged into my Coin News account and read the article in its entirety from the August 2015 edition.

Thanks.

I'd be interested to read the full article but the link didn't work for me. I think I'll have to subscribe to view it.

thanks

Just now, Diaconis said:

I'd be interested to read the full article but the link didn't work for me. I think I'll have to subscribe to view it.

thanks

Subscription is inexpensive, and you get some very worthwhile articles each month.

The full Cuff article contains a lot more detail than the link, which is just extracts.

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Subscription is inexpensive, and you get some very worthwhile articles each month.

The full Cuff article contains a lot more detail than the link, which is just extracts.

Thank you Mike

Youve convinced me

Paul

• Like 1

I just get a message saying this page is reserved for future use.

Perhaps, Richard, you should report him/the item to eBay using the report this item link on the listing page? Taking pictures from another source is against eBay rules, not to mention false advertising!

• Like 1

I've just done this although it didn't allow me to put in a narrative reason for reporting. I could only pick from lists of preset phrases.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I've just done this although it didn't allow me to put in a narrative reason for reporting. I could only pick from lists of preset phrases.

Yes, not having a freetext box, or having one that cuts you off before you've finished, is truly irritating.

Maybe it's because their agents are too thick to understand what's written, or more likely, English isn't their first language in many cases, or possibly it's due to many illiterate offerings from the public, or a combination of both. Either way it means that much of the time you can't get your message across, and/or that "none of the above" applies to the preset options.  

I did have the misfortune to speak to one of their agents in a rare successfully made call a few years back. I couldn't work out whether the individual was frighteningly stupid, or deliberately taking the wotsit.   

• Like 1

Have sent him a polite message, let’s see if he responds. His account may have been hi-jacked, he has been around some time selling coins.......or he may just be a fraudster. 

Jerry

• Like 1

He has got a few negatives from people who say his items never arrived. I see also he is listing a few other coins at the moment, including a couple of 1856 pennies. Have these pictures been culled from Lockdales too, I wonder... ?

15 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

He has got a few negatives from people who say his items never arrived. I see also he is listing a few other coins at the moment, including a couple of 1856 pennies. Have these pictures been culled from Lockdales too, I wonder... ?

Yup, all from Lockdales.......

No reply yet.

Jerry

• Like 1

The conservation so far......read from the bottom.  I was outbid on a couple of the coins he said were returns.

Jerry

New message from: mralexandergrant (411Turquoise Star)

You are a complete bore go and get a life.

Kind Regards

Alexander Grant
Dapper Coins
https: www.ebay.co.uk/str/dappercoins

Make an offer

Your previous message

Hello Alexander,
I am a little surprised to hear they were unsolds from the November Lockdales auction, as I myself bid above the upper estimate on two of them and was outbid. In addition to my friends coin, which he has in hand, this does seem rather strange, I am sure you will agree. However I will leave it there, other than to check with Lockdales re the use of their photos on Monday, and to report to Ebay depending on the outcomes, of course.

Regards,
Jerry

mralexandergrant:

This is an unsold item from the lockdales auction they all are in the owner they were all passed

Your previous message

Hello, I think your EBay account may have been hi-jacked, your photo of this coin is taken from the November Lockdales auction lot 230, and this coin is in the possession of a friend of mine and this has been discussed online as a fraudulent listing. You need to check the details of your ad.

Regards,
Jerry

1854 Victoria Penny. PT. AU. Lustre.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:
1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Yup, all from Lockdales.......

No reply yet.

Jerry

Lockdales have an eBay presence... Their user name is rothesay21 and it might be worth contacting them through eBay to alert them to these fishy goings on.

Easiest way to do that is via one of their current listings, such as this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GB-Queen-Victoria-Bronze-Bun-Head-Farthing-1863/233799046307?hash=item366f8254a3:g:qGIAAOSwBj9fwOUI

Definitely something odd going on to judge by his unpleasant replies.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yup, a polite query about all such fraudulent listings illicit such a tone in the reply, usually worse.

They've hatched a little scheme, think themselves very clever,

and when their bluff is called, the ego is sorely bruised and they react.....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jelida said:

You are a complete bore go and get a life.

Kind Regards

Alexander Grant
Dapper Coins

Also very fishy is this eBay store address above.

Typing that into the browser, all you get is this:

image.thumb.png.76335a823eb371a20a162b70d3eaa86e.png

And this , I now wonder if he is genuine but has muddled his pics?  He has sent a copy of his Lockdales returns list. But he does have a very entertaining turn of phrase. Made me laugh anyway.......

Returns sheet below. Texts self-explanatory.

All good clean fun!

Jerry

A deeper hole. Haha Seriously mate get a life. Go bug someone else.

Kind Regards

Alexander Grant
Dapper Coins

Make an offer

Your previous message

Dear Alexander,

look at the Lockdales catalogue, page 2. Quote 'all rights reserved. No part may be reproduced without permission'. If you do have permission, that's fine. But otherwise that's the law, as well as Ebay rules. Stop digging a deeper hole.

Best wishes and have a good christmas,

Jerry

mralexandergrant:

They are my coins that I auctioned. The unsold have been returned to me and I am now selling on eBay.

I do not take kindly to threats and you interfering in my business.

There is no copyright on the photos.

Goodbye.

Your previous message

Hello Alexander,
thanks for that, it looks pretty definitive, I will post this all on the forum. It looks as though you outbid me on one of the coins, but to see the other as 'unsold' when Lockdales confirmed my bid above estimate is strange, I will speak to them this week, and to the originator of the thread who says he has one of the coins you are selling.
You do seem to get riled easily, don't forget the Ebay rules on bad language and insults, and on stolen photographs, the latter is always suspicious.
Now to get a mate to bid on your coins.......

regards,
Jerry

mralexandergrant:

Not that I have to but you have pissed me off a treat here is the sale sheet from lockdales.

Shove that up your arse Jerry

Your previous message

Grant Lockdales.jpg