British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

"With Beautiful Luster". Rather cheeky to be describing a polished coin with that phrase. 

I'm not convinced it is genuine. The shape of the truncation is more akin to the penny, the weight is 0.4g below the 8g spec of the halfpenny, the tie ribbon area behind the bust doesn't match either penny or halfpenny very well, with the bottom curl detail as for a penny and the bit above reaching almost to the G, whereas on all the pictures I have available both are quite wispy.

Compare with my halfpenny. Apologies for the scan and crap on the scanner.

1786 IOM halfpenny.jpg

• Like 2

If you look at his other items it seems that he is rather partial to using the Duraglit! For example, the Jersey 1/12 shilling he offers with a similar brassy shine and cheeky description.

Mind you we could forgive I suppose because in somewhat Pidgin English he does say, "We believe on Collecting valuable objects uniquely rewards me with beauty, history, personal satisfaction, and more. Honesty and fairness must define every facet of our life"!!!

...and we can further forgive a bit of polishing because, "Part of our sales goes to charity for Elderly People and Young Children"!

How pleasing it is to have such generous sellers on eBay!

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

Have a look at his sold listings* and you might think that it's worth buying shares in Brasso!

* Sunglasses advised.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Have a look at his sold listings* and you might think that it's worth buying shares in Brasso!

* Sunglasses advised.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164311038725

Not brass, just Brasso'd !

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

Maybe it's the photography ? but the pennies look polished to buggery.

• Like 2

Afters many years of collecting I still get caught out.

Recieved this today, turned out it was a fake, made out of cement of some kind, pieces broke off when arrived showing fresh grey mortar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAJAN-98-117-AD-E-Sestertius-FELICITAS-EF-/114418131133?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=3qWHrFC%252F9J1ic%252BqNH0j%252FZN5mCBM%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Edited by Taikonaut
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

Afters many years of collecting I still get caught out.

Recieved this today, turned out it was a fake, made out of cement of some kind, pieces broke off when arrived showing fresh grey mortar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAJAN-98-117-AD-E-Sestertius-FELICITAS-EF-/114418131133?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=3qWHrFC%252F9J1ic%252BqNH0j%252FZN5mCBM%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

probably resin of some kind? if genuine it would have been worth a lot more than that. sad, though.

6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

probably resin of some kind? if genuine it would have been worth a lot more than that. sad, though.

It look so convincing with the patina and aged appearance it even partly coated in varnish you often see in some ancient bronze coins, the detail all looked right which is hard to replicate in most casts made from metal but can be more successful if in cement or resin. The pieces already broken off were quite signficant chunks and was still packaged wrapped in thick tissue and sent to me so I dont understand why the seller would still want to proceed with the sale. It was just too obvious, and its also obviouse I will make a case to ebay to get my money back and wasted both our times returning it and then risking reputational damage in collectors forums such as this one as a seller we should all avoid. Crazy!!!!

Just got a reply from the seller Sasa Stankovic "This coin is my personal find and it's 1 000 000% authentic.The guy who told you that it's a fake coin has no clue about Roman coins. But no problem I will accept a return." Is it a genuine mistake from him? Well I don't need anyone to tell me but anyone who never collected coins will know its a piece of mortar and not metal. Its been doctored and painted and if you touched ancient coins before this feels and look like resin, even though the photos look convincing which is enhanced to look real. The seller listed as from Greece but actually from Serbia (again why the deception?). I dont doubt there is great ancient coins in Serbia but everytime I bought a fake coin its from that part of the world or the seller has an eastern european name including one based in Britain. I would have automatically avoided if it was listed as from Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania. I'm sure its a great place to holiday and lovely people, unless I get to visit a dealer in those countries and see the coin up front I just don't buy coins online from sellers based there because I've yet to come across a genuine coin that came from these places.

• Like 1

Many of his other items for sale also cause concern, especially the artefacts, and are typical Eastern European fakes. Looking at his sold items, if he can happily sell supposed ancient silver rings set with intaglios etc for £20 to £30 then he must be getting them for bu**er all and not be at all worried that they don’t realise what a genuine example should. Couldn’t run a genuine business like that.

Jerry

And still using the photo...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1926-HALF-Penny-George-V-Uncirculated-NGC-MS-63-RB-Extremely-Rare-F-195/333741885945?hash=item4db49109f9:g:F-4AAOSwUKRfU67~

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1714-Qeen-Anne-Farthing/293776074386

Ol' Qeen Anne,

she look'd like a man...

On 10/6/2020 at 9:37 PM, Michael-Roo said:

And still using the photo...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1926-HALF-Penny-George-V-Uncirculated-NGC-MS-63-RB-Extremely-Rare-F-195/333741885945?hash=item4db49109f9:g:F-4AAOSwUKRfU67~

He's been 'informed' about about that coin by loads of people!

It has now been removed along with the rest of her items. Hopefully, the game is finally up.

2 hours ago, craigy said:

Sadly my attention has just been drawn to it 😆 . What a lot of cut and paste rubbish! Why do these people think yards of pointless text enhance the sale of their pointless tatt! EBay should charge by the word, might speed up my internet connection ☹️.

Jerry

2 hours ago, jelida said:

Sadly my attention has just been drawn to it 😆 . What a lot of cut and paste rubbish! Why do these people think yards of pointless text enhance the sale of their pointless tatt! EBay should charge by the word, might speed up my internet connection ☹️.

Jerry

I would never have thought that it could take so many words to say NOTHING...

Possibly more words in the listing than in the dictionary....

What he is doing of course is maximising his chances of a random google or Ebay search turning up his coin as a match. I have just done a search for "1915 Calendar" within coins, to track down an advertising token I have come across for that year, and lo and behold, his junk 1966 penny was top of the "results matching fewer words" list!