British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I think for coins  or  tokens, a repro needs to have a feature that enables it to be readily distinguished from the original. E.g. stamped with WRL for example. Even if it was originally sold cheaply as a replica, someone will undoubtedly try to sell it as genuine later on. 

That's true but the - e.g. - repros of 1933 pennies (rather than the altered dates) or 1905 halfcrowns wouldn't fool a genuine collector for a moment, but that wouldn't stop some idiot setting a trap for the unwary beginner.

2 hours ago, Sword said:

I think for coins  or  tokens, a repro needs to have a feature that enables it to be readily distinguished from the original. E.g. stamped with WRL for example. Even if it was originally sold cheaply as a replica, someone will undoubtedly try to sell it as genuine later on. 

Absolutely. I can remember reading through EBay's listing rules where it's says repros and copies of coins should be marked as such. Something Ebay ignores. In addition I'm not sure if this applies to demonitized coins but isn't it illegal to counterfeit coins?

32 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Absolutely. I can remember reading through EBay's listing rules where it's says repros and copies of coins should be marked as such. Something Ebay ignores. In addition I'm not sure if this applies to demonitized coins but isn't it illegal to counterfeit coins?

I don't think trade tokens come under that law? They aren’t regal currency.

As for eBay, I would guess that as long as a coin is described prominently as a repro, they probably wouldn't take any action. Probably.

20 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I think British Law makes it illegal to counterfeit any "protected coins" meaning  any coin which is customarily used as money in any country. In addition the following are also protected:

Sovereign, Half sovereign, Krugerrand, any coin denominated as a fraction of a Krugerrand, Maria Theresia thaler bearing the date of 1780 and any euro coin.

I think it might therefore not illegal to make replica of coins not included in the above. However, attempting to sell them without clearing stating they are replicas would certainly be treated as fraud, or misrepresentation of goods which would be illegal of course. 

• Like 1

and subject to the full force of the law lol

• Sad 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203081740668

Not an Edward VII penny. You can see Liverpool in the distance though !

• Like 1

Removing stones from beaches is illegal under the Coast Protection Act 1949!

• Like 1

I think that's a reproduction pebble, so it's legal, strangely.

It _is_ a pebble, because it's clearly has a diameter between 4 and 64 millimetres, so that's ok.....

Too many granules and cobbles are sold as 'pebbles' on Ebay at the moment, but what can you do?

I hear the Pun Engine starting up......

Get Ready........

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

I think that's a reproduction pebble

Agreed Blakey, It's like they always say, never take anything for granite.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I hear the Pun Engine starting up...

I'll join in when I'm less stoned.

• Haha 1

I'll take the high erode and let the sands of time catch up with him....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Haha 1

Could you roll it, that rock?

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, copper123 said:

A holy error no doubt , not sure if its catholic protestant or a non conformist .

If that is the case, then maybe the seller is a soul trader.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

If that is the case, then maybe the seller is a soul trader.....

What is its mass?

• Haha 3

Could be "chaste" but definitely "hallowed" out.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

What is its mass?

What is "holy" about it has none, so it must be a protestant shilling....

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JLS said:

What is "holy" about it has none, so it must be a protestant shilling....

The Poor Man's version of the Australian Holey Dollar???

• Haha 2

He is Abel to sell such tat- his right is enshrined in law.

Most of you have the "bad joke disease". I think you should curate.

• Haha 1

Don’t be tempted...I’ve seen this coin for sale recently at several grand, this guy has just stolen the pics.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1926-ME-Penny-George-V-Uncirculated-NGC-MS-63-RB-Extremely-Rare-F-195/333710807341?hash=item4db2b6d12d:g:F-4AAOSwUKRfU67~

Jerry

3 minutes ago, jelida said:

Don’t be tempted...I’ve seen this coin for sale recently at several grand, this guy has just stolen the pics.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1926-ME-Penny-George-V-Uncirculated-NGC-MS-63-RB-Extremely-Rare-F-195/333710807341?hash=item4db2b6d12d:g:F-4AAOSwUKRfU67~

Jerry

Here it is.

https://www.jncoins.co.uk/Shop/pennies/626-george-v-bronze-penny-1926.html

Jerry