British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Somewhere between the two I guess. I can't get my head round photography, I just stick 'em on the windowsill on top of a coin box and point and press an old Fuji Finepix F500EXR. It mostly works ok. I tried one of these much-vaunted mats as a different background to the box - completely different colours as a result: 

DSCF5559a.jpg

Pobjoy mint have been going longer than I thought. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Pobjoy mint have been going longer than I thought. :D

Wow. One of those rare times when a name becomes synonymous with an item or action. Pobjoy have done so many things for the IOM that someone has taken it as the local mint name, though it's probably been helped by Krause listing P(objoy)M(int) as the mint mark.

12 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Somewhere between the two I guess. I can't get my head round photography, I just stick 'em on the windowsill on top of a coin box and point and press an old Fuji Finepix F500EXR. It mostly works ok. I tried one of these much-vaunted mats as a different background to the box - completely different colours as a result: 

DSCF5559a.jpg

Hmm...either way it's an impaired proof.

58 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Hmm...either way it's an impaired proof.

Bet it's an Isle of Man.

10 hours ago, Rob said:

Bet it's an Isle of Man.

Probably so, which would explain.

7 hours ago, JLS said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palau-Big-Pirate-Skull-25-2018-Antique-Finish-Silver-Pirate-Skull/174312522767

The Pirates of...Palau ?

It weighs half a kilo of pure silver so I guess it might make a (rather morbid) paper weight...

I actually quite like that one - not as a coin but as an ornament. However at around 5 times bullion I will not be buying.

A friend of mine is a jeweller, and buys .925 coins, and casts animal figures from that metal.

He has his own sponsors mark and has them assayed and stamped.

He put a reasonable profit on them and took them to shows.

They hardly sold.  People would pick them up, weigh them in their hands, agree with him that it was the weight stated on the label,

then not buy them because it was not possible to buy that amount of .925 silver for that price, clearly.....

So he doubled the price.  They flew off the stall.

It's amazing sometimes how valuable people think silver is.

"The best silver", that people bring out to impress,  is often a hideous set of plated tat, with maybe a fiver's worth of silver on it's surfaces,

ready to be zealously polished off....

13 minutes ago, Rob said:

Hmm. 10% going to Myeloma - something close to his heart. (90% going to his wallet - infinitely closer :ph34r:). Could do with someone in Henley on Thames to pop round and have a word.

The 1898 is a very common year for the US Silver Dollar. The value is between $40 and $100. The seller should be ashamed of himself with the asking price he has on the coin!

Free postage though

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:18 AM, JLS said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274326733979

Someone actually thinks a cartwheel penny is a farthing...were the 1790s an age of giants ?!

My goodness a coin in that grade must sell for at least £15,000 on ebay its a real bargain >NOT

12 minutes ago, copper123 said:

My goodness a coin in that grade must sell for at least £15,000 on ebay its a real bargain >NOT

? 'it's a real bargain greater than not'? Shurely shome mishtake.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, alfnail said:

"YOU ARE BIDDING ON ACTUAL COIN IN PICTURES"

Not sure of that as a sales pitch...

And did you see the other listings? 25 years? Cracked out of a package newly landed from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Coins/11116/m.html?item=224097567098&hash=item342d41817a%3Ag%3AD7kAAOSwvgVfIIaY&_ssn=dcb.99

Is that 1845 horror show tooled? Why bother? Polish a turd and what do you have? A shiny turd.

Boom boom.

I'll get me coat….

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Haha 3