British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1430AD-GREAT-BRITAIN-UK-King-HENRY-VI-Silver-Fourpence-Groat-Coin-NGC-i80916/233362367085?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225086%26meid%3D89d4a7567cc4414a9aa1dc14ddca03fc%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D184299768716%26itm%3D233362367085%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Yet another obscenely overpriced example from this seller who speciously purports to be "an expert, enthusiast, author and trusted dealer in numismatic coins", which also begs the question, what other sorts of coin are there? Furthermore, in the FAQ section of his eBay pages he claims to be "world-renowned"! This is full-blown cringing material!

Even in unclipped condition, this Calais groat would be worth far less than a tenth of the asking price!

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1430AD-GREAT-BRITAIN-UK-King-HENRY-VI-Silver-Fourpence-Groat-Coin-NGC-i80916/233362367085?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225086%26meid%3D89d4a7567cc4414a9aa1dc14ddca03fc%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D184299768716%26itm%3D233362367085%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Yet another obscenely overpriced example from this seller who speciously purports to be "an expert, enthusiast, author and trusted dealer in numismatic coins", which also begs the question, what other sorts of coin are there? Furthermore, in the FAQ section of his eBay pages he claims to be "world-renowned"! This is full-blown cringing material!

Even in unclipped condition, this Calais groat would be worth far less than a tenth of the asking price!

Frank

Good to see his id highrating_lowprice is accurate re-description and coin value - or should it be lowrating_highprice re the coin and asking price?

23 minutes ago, Rob said:

Good to see his id highrating_lowprice is accurate re-description and coin value - or should it be lowrating_highprice re the coin and asking price? 

Undoubtedly the latter!

There's an area of Bournemouth called Boscombe which boasts around 10 "antique" shops, although the majority are selling high end tat. I visit one regularly because he knows nothing about medals and is too lazy to research them, subsequently they're the only things in his shop for which you don't need a second mortgage.

Last summer, I was browsing while the trader was talking to another customer who seemed to be underwhelmed by the prices.

"Do you have many regular customers?"

"Yes, loads of them"

Customer looks round ostentatiously

"Don't you have a water bowl?"

"What for?"

"Their guide dogs."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, bagerap said:

There's an area of Bournemouth called Boscombe which boasts around 10 "antique" shops, although the majority are selling high end tat. I visit one regularly because he knows nothing about medals and is too lazy to research them, subsequently they're the only things in his shop for which you don't need a second mortgage.

My sisters lived in Boscombe for years! Undercliff Rd near the beach.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

My sisters lived in Boscombe for years! Undercliff Rd near the beach.

This is a crazy small world - what number? We used to stay at the Southern Hotel which was number 15 or 16 I think (can't remember which as it was 50 years ago) for a week every year. It was run by a Mr & Mrs Turner. Crazy golf course opposite the front door and a path down to the wooded chine which ran up the hill to the right.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

We used to live in St. John's Road, Boscombe. Many of the locals now call it Bos Vegas😎

• Like 1

I lived in Boscombe - St Clements road and conducted/drove buses there in thea early 90's :)

• Like 1

only Rod Serling could make sense of all this...

• Haha 2

I once stopped at the Denewood Hotel Bournemouth, which is on Sea Road. Undercliff Road runs off Sea Road as you go down the hill towards the beach.

Can't beat Bournemouth for looks and atmosphere in my opinion. Holidayed there quite a few times and always enjoyed it.

• Like 2

And I run a charity with a shop front in Boscombe, based on Christchurch Road - 881 The SAMEE project.

We teach self-employment skills with disabled people to help them to go self-employed and gain further independence.

Small world indeed.

I'm usually in the office/shop every Wed, so pop in and say hello (after Covid of course 🤧)

Weaver(wayne)

SAMEE charity Boscombe.jpg

Edited by Weaver
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Rob said:

This is a crazy small world - what number? We used to stay at the Southern Hotel which was number 15 or 16 I think (can't remember which as it was 50 years ago) for a week every year. It was run by a Mr & Mrs Turner. Crazy golf course opposite the front door and a path down to the wooded chine which ran up the hill to the right.

I'm not sure - they moved more than 25 years ago! I think it may have been number 11?

I know where you are Wayne, just opposite that fantastic building on the corner of Hannington Rd.

I picked this snippet from Cointalk concerning a discussion that was taking place on the ebay community website about 3 months ago...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...w-the-sale-or-purchase-of-Coins/td-p/30666292

Does this spell the end of this thread??

Frank

5 hours ago, bagerap said:

I know where you are Wayne, just opposite that fantastic building on the corner of Hannington Rd.

Yes my friend, the Help and Care building.

Pop in any time on a Wed to say hello (after Covid) ok? We could look in a few of the antique stores further up the road.

All the best,

Weaver(wayne)

On 5/23/2020 at 2:41 PM, 1949threepence said:

I once stopped at the Denewood Hotel Bournemouth, which is on Sea Road. Undercliff Road runs off Sea Road as you go down the hill towards the beach.

Can't beat Bournemouth for looks and atmosphere in my opinion. Holidayed there quite a few times and always enjoyed it.

I know. I saw the police reports.....

15 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I picked this snippet from Cointalk concerning a discussion that was taking place on the ebay community website about 3 months ago...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...w-the-sale-or-purchase-of-Coins/td-p/30666292

Frank

You are allowed to start a new one called XXXX's worst offerings.

Any banning of coin sales by ebay opens up an opportunity for someone else. If I read it correctly, the problem is with the payment processors. I can't see eBay being willing to give up a cash cow, which it must be given the number of listings, whether free to list or not.

If an alternative appeared, one option would be a flat rate payment to list items for a given period of time, with money back in part for a sale and the ability to do buyer/seller payments directly which would allow all parties to get on with life. Plus the amount of crap would be seriously reduced. Elimination of this is impossible, but can be restricted by an up front fee. If you had to pay say a flat 5% fee with a minimum value to the platform for hosting the listing, so charged 10% up front with half refunded when sold, it would encourage desirable things to be listed, whilst restricting the rare 1971 pennies. Sure it would reduce the number of dire rarities available, but the quality of life would improve immensely.

16 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Frank

But then you dig a little deeper and you find this which explains the real position. Although no date is given (unless it's in invisible ink), so logically, one must assume it's current policy, not one prospective to an unknown (precise) date in 2021.  

What is the policy?

Listings for graded coins and currency must have been graded by an eBay-approved company such as NGC, PCGS, ANACS, ICG, or PMG 

Listings for ungraded coins and currency or raw currency:

Must not include a non-approved grading company, numeric grade or estimated value anywhere in the listing and can't show an image of the item in a graded holder if the image shows a grade

Must include photos of the front and back of the actual item for sale (stock photos are not allowed) 

Must have a starting, reserve, or Buy It Now price of less than $2,500

Listings for current, exchangeable, ungraded currency from any country worldwide cannot exceed $1,000 in value, whether in a single listing or in a combination of multiple listings

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Although the bit I've emboldened doesn't make sense (to me anyway) if it applies to photos of coins in e bay approved company slabs.  

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

But then you dig a little deeper and you find this which explains the real position. Although no date is given (unless it's in invisible ink), so logically, one must assume it's current policy, not one prospective to an unknown (precise) date in 2021.  

Although the bit I've emboldened doesn't make sense (to me anyway) if it applies to photos of coins in e bay approved company slabs.  

It's not clearly written but I think it does not apply to photos of approved companies. 

"Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending,..."

Maybe it would be good sport if Ebay add this emoji 😉 after the statement. 

Nothing with the wording 'could' is a policy. Rules need to be black and white, not a series of hedged bets at someone's convenience. If in doubt leave it out - just as the person trying to sell me a mortgage for a rental property said 'you don't have to tell them'. Yeh, ok, not.

51 minutes ago, Rob said:

Nothing with the wording 'could' is a policy. Rules need to be black and white, not a series of hedged bets at someone's convenience. If in doubt leave it out - just as the person trying to sell me a mortgage for a rental property said 'you don't have to tell them'. Yeh, ok, not.

Couldn't agree more (no reverse pun intended). All guidance, especially any with legal ramifications, needs to be crystal clear and set out in terms which normal people can comprehend. That means not using odd terminology, at variance with conventional use of the English language, which can be open to misinterpretation.

erm, what do you mean by "could"? - dunno really, might do, if we feel like it on the day, depends what mood the agent's in, if we can be arsed to bother, if the agent is properly trained. Depends on a range of options which we won't worry your little heads with by bothering to list here, etc etc (along with the words "might" and "may")

"Will" - it happens regardless. You know where you stand.    

2 hours ago, Sword said:

It's not clearly written but I think it does not apply to photos of approved companies. 

"Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending,..."

Maybe it would be good sport if Ebay add this emoji 😉 after the statement. 

Nothing new there.

By the way "think"? that's almost as bad as "could" lol ;)

Edited by 1949threepence

Anyone else notice how often this happens when a really choice piece is on offer:-

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

In this case it was an 1871 penny. A very nice coin. I didn't actually want it myself, but was keeping an eye on what it would fetch, out of interest. It had reached £82 with 5 days to go.

I wonder if an offer is made privately to the vendor, that's then dealt with outside e bay?

link to item  

Edited by 1949threepence

27 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Anyone else notice how often this happens when a really choice piece is on offer:-

In this case it was an 1871 penny. A very nice coin. I didn't actually want it myself, but was keeping an eye on what it would fetch, out of interest. It had reached £82 with 5 days to go.

I wonder if an offer is made privately to the vendor, that's then dealt with outside e bay?

link to item  

Interesting - very nice coin .. but it says 0 bids?