British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

5 hours ago, Diaconis said:

Obviously his idea of a discount Offa.

Looks cast to me

Straight from the United Cingdom too :D

On this topic my least favorite seller of fake coins on eBay right now is Pana_nis: sells pretty poor fakes of Anglo-Saxon coinage for enough money to actually buy an original (of a less rare type obviously): 

https://www.ebay.couk/itm/ALFRED-the-GREAT-871-899-AD-KING-of-WESSEX-ANGLO-SAXON-SILVER-Ar-PENNY-1-25-gr/143513529018?hash=item216a12aaba:g:FbcAAOSw9rVeLZPA

His negative feedback is pretty funny for what it's worth, with the obscene ranting in transliterated Serbian ! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/pana_nis?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560

12 minutes ago, JLS said:

On this topic my least favorite seller of fake coins on eBay right now is Pana_nis: sells pretty poor fakes of Anglo-Saxon coinage for enough money to actually buy an original (of a less rare type obviously): 

He really is a piece of work, isn't he?

His Alfred the Great looks like a tribute to Mick Jagger and Barbara Streisand's illegitimate love child playing at Red Indians. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e5e849f81d761a84bb68fe08f23b1404.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

He really is a piece of work, isn't he?

His Alfred the Great looks like a tribute to Mick Jagger and Barbara Streisand's illegitimate love child playing at Red Indians. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e5e849f81d761a84bb68fe08f23b1404.jpg

Can definitely see Jagger there. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

...is that they directly profit from the sale of fakes, so they pay nothing more than lip service to preventing it. :rolleyes:

This. You do have some recourse through Paypal assuming that was your payment method. But you will have to prove to them that the goods purchased are indeed fake. 

14 hours ago, jelida said:

True, but many times I and others here have reported items without any action being taken; I don’t know if there is a trigger point, a certain number of reports or whatever. Ebay really should have a small panel of ‘approved’ expert reporters who carry greater weight, I am sure there are members on this forum, for example, who might qualify.  I believe there was a similar system operating for Ebay USA for a while, subsequently disbanded.

Jerry

To be honest, I've had more luck with the seller deciding to withdraw after I've contacted them, than with e bay themselves. As with any large organisation, their contact methods have become long, arduous and over complicated with, as you say Jerry, no guarantee of any action being taken anyway. 

My contacts have mainly been to "alert" the vendor to a wrongly attributed variety of an otherwise genuine coin. Invariably a common coin described as rare. Although in strict fairness, on the very few occasions when any of us have seen a rare item as a buy it now for £2.50, how many of us would alert the vendor then?       

9 minutes ago, MJ75 said:

This. You do have some recourse through Paypal assuming that was your payment method. But you will have to prove to them that the goods purchased are indeed fake. 

Indeed, good luck with that one. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Indeed, good luck with that one. 

I don't think it would be that difficult. A letter from a BNTA member should suffice. Though what they would charge for their services vs the value of the refund could be interesting. 

On 4/13/2020 at 10:35 PM, Peckris 2 said:

That's just HORRIBLE.

like more like cromwell lol

1 hour ago, MJ75 said:

I don't think it would be that difficult. A letter from a BNTA member should suffice. Though what they would charge for their services vs the value of the refund could be interesting. 

The steps themselves aren't intellectually challenging, but the time wasting lengths you would probably have to go to, are. In my opinion anyway. Plus as you say, you might also sustain some loss of money overall. 

Last time I bought a fake coin by accident on eBay and the seller was un-cooperative, I just escalated through eBay and I ended up getting a full refund without even returning the fake...

13 minutes ago, JLS said:

Last time I bought a fake coin by accident on eBay and the seller was un-cooperative, I just escalated through eBay and I ended up getting a full refund without even returning the fake...

👍🏽which to can sell on to some neophyte, win win.

(just kidding).

4 hours ago, Diaconis said:

👍🏽which to can sell on to some neophyte, win win.

(just kidding).

Despite being an obvious fake, it looked silver in hand surprisingly so I acid tested it and ended up selling it as scrap with a load of dateless Victorian threepences....hopefully no-one fished it out before it reached the furnace and the neophytes are safe !

• Like 1

New penny variety  - one for your website Richard? :blink:

I've often squirmed about this seller's eBay title - he's been around for some time but it amazes when I think he might get any buyers at his prices!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233573333945?ul_noapp=true

Don't all rush at once, he's reduced this one by $3,298.20!

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

Have you seen his line in GVI shillings starting at $40 upwards? I wish I could get anything like that for them!

His feedback indicates that most of his higher value coins go with "Best offer accepted" - one can only hope the offers were a hell of a lot lower than his headline price!

7 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I've often squirmed about this seller's eBay title - he's been around for some time but it amazes when I think he might get any buyers at his prices!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233573333945?ul_noapp=true

Don't all rush at once, he's reduced this one by $3,298.20!

Frank

Looks tooled to me would not pay £100 for it .

How a slabbing company could ever put their name to that - words fail me

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Looks tooled to me would not pay £100 for it .

How a slabbing company could ever put their name to that - words fail me

I agree. This happens time-after-time with hammies - they can't get their act together with the grading, especially with respect to clipped coins.

Frank

On 4/20/2020 at 4:44 PM, mrbadexample said:

New penny variety  - one for your website Richard? :blink:

Ah, some people might have been fooled into thinking that was a F169, as the base of the one is over both a tooth and a gap. 

But of course the real deal has fewer teeth and the one is unambiguously over a tooth.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Ah, some people might have been fooled into thinking that was a F169, as the base of the one is over both a tooth and a gap. 

But of course the real deal has fewer teeth and the one is unambiguously over a tooth.  

It was originally listed as "scarce open 3 variety".......

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

It was originally listed as "scarce open 3 variety".......

Bizarre. 

ken.jpg.9ece232b6ad621b1c5142c1d993cac91.jpg

On 5/6/2020 at 9:33 PM, JLS said:

The seller also has discovered the secret of stating the obvious when he says The condition of the coins is commensurate with their time in circulation.

• Like 1