British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I sent him a message pointing out his error politely. He responded: "Thank you! I did not know" but he has not dropped the listing, merely reduced the price to £1500...

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

I sent him a message pointing out his error politely. He responded: "Thank you! I did not know" but he has not dropped the listing, merely reduced the price to £1500...

At least he has also removed "mint error" from the description.

Rather disturbingly, he has only listed it as 'Scarce', so God knows how many are out there.

I feel this listing can be included here. For a seller who is so good at identifying micro-varieties, both known and made-up, I find it hard to believe he would make such a glaring mis-attribution. This is by no means a F69 and quite possibly one of the easiest of the 1874 variants to acquire. Things like this kill the hobby for the budding numismatist, however, on the other end of the spectrum you also have this happening to entice new enthusiasts to scour ebay.

19 minutes ago, shane carew said:

I feel this listing can be included here. For a seller who is so good at identifying micro-varieties, both known and made-up, I find it hard to believe he would make such a glaring mis-attribution. This is by no means a F69 and quite possibly one of the easiest of the 1874 variants to acquire. Things like this kill the hobby for the budding numismatist, however, on the other end of the spectrum you also have this happening to entice new enthusiasts to scour ebay.

Indeed. Somebody's fallen for it, He even got the grade wrong as it's NVF at best. Sadly, there really are some naive buyers out there.

Mind, this guy's got form as you probably already know. 

With regard to your other link, I wish the damn things were the right way up, but the one in the corner has the tell tale tall helmet plume. If the obverse in the same place matches, which I think it does, somebody's nabbed themselves a F76. Nice one. Again, it was recognised, as nobody would surely pay that much for the remainder of the tat. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 5:53 PM, Paddy said:

The same seller has recently been listing a normal 1877 penny as a "narrow date" variety and responded similarly to my polite comment whilst persisting in describing it as such. Just symptomatic of society where criminal behaviour isn't policed or punished.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shane carew said:

This is by no means a F69

and not even obverse 6 !

On 13 October 2019 at 9:35 AM, Michael-Roo said:

Clumsiest example I've ever seen.

Couldn't even be bothered to match the portraits. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarce-double-headed-penny-George-V/283636549584?hash=item420a0e47d0:g:sqEAAOSwqZNdm9dO

You can have that Ernie Wise for a mere £1500! :lol:

5 hours ago, shane carew said:

Strangely, I didn't need to be psychic to know whose listing it was, before I clicked the link.  OTOH,  his misattributions of medals & tokens have probably earned me more money than any other seller on ebay.

13 hours ago, secret santa said:

and not even obverse 6 !

The seller is very consistent with his inconsistencies. It's not an obverse 6 or a reverse I or in AEF grade for that matter.

16 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

somebody's nabbed themselves a F76

Mike, do you think I'm safe to add this one to the list ?

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Mike, do you think I'm safe to add this one to the list ?

It was a nifty bit of work you did to get the relevant images isolated and the right way up, Richard. 

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol::lol::lol:

1861 ONE PENNY OF QUEEN VICTORIA /VERY HIGH GRADE

A VERY NICE COLLECTABLE YOUNGHEAD VICTORIA PENNY

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

But it IS a very high grade - it stinks!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, azda said:

I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. Paypal may be convenient but they're a lousy outfit who effectively abuse their decent customers with extremely poor customer service and now this. The conclusion has to be that you can't trust them to back you up in the event of a problem not of your making. 

If there were some way round never using them, I'd take it. 

The row of icons you can click against each post should include :angry:, and probably :o as well.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Cor blimey, guv. Stone the bleedin' crows. Where'd you spot that beauty?  

• Haha 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Old-Coin-Looks-Like-It-Could-Be-Julia-Ceasar/113926075513?

"Could be Julia Ceasar". 

The Swedish actress notorious for playing crusty old crones ? Vendor will be in for surprise if they ever see the Shakespeare...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JLS said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Old-Coin-Looks-Like-It-Could-Be-Julia-Ceasar/113926075513?

"Could be Julia Ceasar". 

The Swedish actress notorious for playing crusty old crones ? Vendor will be in for surprise if they ever see the Shakespeare...

Didn't someone have a line about "Caesar's wife"?

59 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Cor blimey, guv. Stone the bleedin' crows. Where'd you spot that beauty?  

Easy mate- kept me mincers open.

Can't wait to get me Germans on it.

• Haha 1