British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I messaged the seller, who's taken this down now...

obvious fake

TBH it is the grade fair so he got that right

10 hours ago, copper123 said:

TBH it is the grade fair so he got that right

With Fair coins you should be able to read the whole legend, even if the letters are almost flat. That isn't Fair, not with VICT and TIA completely missing.

Edited by Peckris 2

42 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

With Fair coins you should be able to read the whole legend, even if the letters are almost flat. That isn't Fair, not with VICT and TIA completely missing.

I'd go for "about Fair". The portrait is strong enough, look at that great ear detail. Legend a bit too weak as you note. Reverse devices are also not really quite there. But you'd really need to miss a few letters of the reverse legend to get to a "Poor +" grade, or an old-fashioned British "mediocre".

Incidentally, now I've looked at the thing for a minute or two, isn't there a big die clash left of the reverse shield ? Think I can see the shape of Victoria's hair tie. 

I might be slightly worried about a bend in the coin as well as wear on the coin is not even .

Many seller don't tend to say if a coin is slightly bent

... and sadly another fake, or at best fantasy piece I suspect. 1853 Halfcrown was a proof issue only, very scarce and I don't believe that one was proof even before it got circulated.

Strange that he has cut and pasted Victoria's life history - from Wikipedia I suppose - into the description!

Oh dear, I'm somewhat embarrassed, I now realise that I did not read the description properly, just the title. These pesky small screens do my eyes in!!

Edited by hibernianscribe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274012708581

Fake Bank of England dollar with crazy artificial toning. Doubt it's even silver. 

2 hours ago, JLS said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274012708581

Fake Bank of England dollar with crazy artificial toning. Doubt it's even silver. 

What a waste of good petrol. :lol:

• Haha 2

His whole site is full of fakes from China.  I was interested in Victorian fractionals and bought a “reference set” from Aliexpress and see him listing some. 

14 hours ago, whitedb said:

His whole site is full of fakes from China.  I was interested in Victorian fractionals and bought a “reference set” from Aliexpress and see him listing some. 

Yeah, although a good 40% seem genuine. I think I bought a British Indian coin off him a while back and it was OK. 

Yes, very poor quality of imitation of an initially poorly designed Pobjoy product.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, PWA 1967 said:

£870 for a set that can be bought for £25 ,sad and out of order.

Snide bastard seller it pisses me off.....

Edited by PWA 1967

19 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

You would think, by now, he'd at least know what a dump farthing looks like

...and how to grade 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-Silver-1-2-Crown-1902-Beautiful-UNC-/233352462223?nav=SEARCH

Bunc?, Abunc or bunkum, more like, not to mention that asking price😯

I bought a few 1902’s (in far better condition btw) when top grades sold for +/-£160, and that’s only a couple of years ago. I now see examples being touted for upwards of £300-400. Whether they sell for that is another matter of course. Greedy.