British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Seeing these listings I'm wondering if someone else is grading at the moment?

They're usually pretty accurate. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/British/3394/m.html?item=202734154926&hash=item2f33e5b4ae%3Ag%3AiZ0AAOSwB99dLJWW&_ssn=buckscoins

They mostly seem to be one full grade above what they should be.

7 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Maybe he meant about Fair, instead of about Fine! LOL...

1 hour ago, RLC35 said:

He'd probably argue that's what he meant, if confronted, Bob.

If it was just that coin, I'm sure we'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, RLC35 said:

It's not even that!

14 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

He'd probably argue that's what he meant, if confronted, Bob.

If it was just that coin, I'm sure we'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

No, quite clear in the description!   "IN ABOUT FINE CONDITION."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2019 at 12:42 PM, Diaconis said:

wtb?

I see what you did there. Neat ;)

• Haha 1

Just got it!!!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 1:06 PM, 1949threepence said:

They mostly seem to be one full grade above what they should be.

And many are just plain 'dug up' too....

On 17 August 2019 at 5:51 AM, JLS said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123867267564

People are actually bidding on Marlybob's "toned" junk....

You can actually see on the obverse where the artificial tone has been rubbed on. :angry:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

You can actually see on the obverse where the artificial tone has been rubbed on. :angry:

Yeah - if you dipped it would still be a problem coin. The AT on the obverse looks disgusting though. Doesn’t look like she’s getting any better with practice.

• Like 1

And still buyers don't question why all her silver, regardless of origin, age, condition, has the same artificial appearance.

Some of those which have really been gone to town on are absolutely horrible.

• Like 1

Came across this website the other day, The Old Currency Exchange. MB1 left a comment on Sept 16. Clearly was aware of 1933 penny and the various forgeries. Her command of English was better back then😉

https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2014/08/20/rare-coins-the-1933-british-penny/#comments

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

Came across this website the other day, The Old Currency Exchange. MB1 left a comment on Sept 16. Clearly was aware of 1933 penny and the various forgeries. Her command of English was better back then😉

https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2014/08/20/rare-coins-the-1933-british-penny/#comments

Not very much better! After all, this is the person who doesn't realise that Bob Marley had an "e" in his name..

• Like 3

Book prices and where they sit. What's she on about now?

This is for a superb 1887 Victoria jubilee head silver double florin ARABIC 1 IN THE DATE 
THE COIN IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION has a slight mark near the date but nothing major 
IN MY VALUATION BOOK SITS AT A PRICE OF £550 in unc condition 
My grade is vf+.. 483.347 minted

This is for a Victoria 1887 jubilee head silver half crown this is a stunner 
My grade EF PLUS TO UNC 
but that's my grade so please view yourself . Although it is a FANTASTIC collector's coin 
An absolute asset to a fantastic collection this is what collectors call a gem one you really don't want to miss... the coin is in fabulous condition 
Almost unc but thats my view so please view yourself 
In my valuation book in unc condition it sits at £450 
1, 438.046 minted

I like this from the 1887 crown description too:

THIS IS AN AUCTION SO WHO WILL START ME 
IF THERE IS TONE ON MY COINS THEN THE TONE YOU SEE ON MY COINS IS THE TONE THAT IT IS

Where's Alan Turing when you need him?

Edited by Michael-Roo

Interesting. Her condition for the double florin is "superb" "VG" and "VF+" - make your mind up woman! (I think her example is possibly the 0.347 ...). There also appears to be 0.046 of an 1887 halfcrown. :lol:

• Like 1

"It sits at" reminds me of old (1950-60s) auctioneers spiel when they were trying to boost an unpromising item.

• Like 1

What's this price guide she's using?

If her 1887s are 'sitting' at these valuations then lord knows what everything else must be valued at. We all must be holding riches beyond our wildest imaginings...

First thing tomorrow morning I shall swap my inverted 1 1820 sixpence for a winged unicorn (unipegasus?),  just because I can afford to, then flutter about showering the hoi polloi with the beneficence which would be my half-chewed Greggs vegan sausage rolls. Er, no rubbish mind, we're talking king size here. Make sure you're up and out early...

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I do like a nice fleur-de-iris. :lol:

2 hours ago, azda said:

This beautiful earthy coin has at the present just that perfect amount of wear and tear. It feels much older than it is, but it holds sufficient amount of clarity. True coin lovers will appreaciate this particular coin, because of the breath of mystery. If you are still reading... There is visual depiction of fleur the Iris made of feathers.

Somebody's 'avin a larf.......

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, azda said:

I just love this. Good old Iris.

If you're in need of cheering up the seller's other offerings are worth a squint too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/boutiqueunique2015/m.html?item=362689455958&hash=item5471f9e756%3Ag%3All0AAOSw2jFceerJ&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Oh, and check out the top item in seller feedback. Clearly bollocks, but is this kind of lying also illegal?

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=boutiqueunique2015&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&ftabfocus=true&searchInterval=30

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Haha 1