British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 hour ago, Sword said:

An old article I came across. Something that eBay sellers and buyers should be aware of. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/apr/20/ebay-seller-convicted-auction-fixing

This from that article. Not working terribly well then, is it.

"We invest over £6m each year in state-of-the-art technology to detect shill bidding and other illegal activities. This acts as a strong deterrent to the small minority who attempt to use our site inappropriately but, more than this, it helps us to work with law enforcement agencies to secure successful prosecutions if anyone decides to try their luck."

The more pertinent point is that they could use independent policemen who willingly report for free if they so decided, but there's no PR advantage in that. We 'invest' over £6m is their attempt at showing they are doing something. Ignoring people who are more actively involved in identifying shill bidding only p's off a handful of the public, the remainder presumably taking their action at face value. For ebay to take down the reported shills would probably cost them a few million in lost fees when taken across all the sites. They ain't gonna do that.

Edited by Rob

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Possible, though it could equally be the cut out for the obverse, which I seem to remember Whitmans always had?

Wrong spot for the obverse opening....

Really they should have taken the item down by now , arwell out of my hands now and into the hands of someone who doesnotgiveashit

• Haha 1

Only £55 what a bargain

On 31 July 2019 at 10:50 AM, Michael-Roo said:

It was actually the 1968 pack not 1971!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

It was actually the 1968 pack not 1971!!

Yup.

I still have mine, which my Dad gave me at the time.

'Put that away and keep it lad, it'll be worth a fortune one day.' he said, as we picked at the Vesta Chow Mein Mum had served up on our best Franklin Mint plates...

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Yup.

I still have mine, which my Dad gave me at the time.

'Put that away and keep it lad, it'll be worth a fortune one day.' he said, as we picked at the Vesta Chow Mein Mum had served up on our best Franklin Mint plates...

:lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-Britains-First-Decimal-Coin-Set-Job-Lot/222902686379?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57477%26meid%3D6ae85f00aa9f48799400ba1e1f0faa87%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D283563238828%26itm%3D222902686379%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The astute buyer could pick up 6 of the things for £13:95. And you could have 5 Vesta Chow Meins while you carefully examine each set... :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vesta-Chow-Mein-30-x-161g/123773600694?hash=item1cd17b43b6&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAAC0KvsXIZtBqdkfsZsMtzFbFsbX3WcW5fmB%2Fx7ZbaZTyexjVDWupr16EXJ%2BvwyDOHntd2r7blij0npmTFGrNDuR7CyqS6yfhqAfu%2Ft9K4EkrC8MhUkm6wUK4kapQ4U3%2FN9S2CIkUCyQveKF8BcqX85G1tc930J2%2F7NUbXL12Z2sgztJ6LquJE%2F5tjzIVZaJ%2BAvnDqSA4Qh4qmdQDdwRDKNKAzUWKazAwxbQ99uOIdmY4D0ORPvkKsuE%2BsLGfc7toGbGrYDsJSFDOH2HUxKfp%2BmG%2BdSIHltTu9QR58XbIdtRTXmSDtCcMjxFkVrFc9pI%2BMe%2FPp3tqrmQKF51H1GAe7PDqS3uxoNyp49To7izGvDiG4ZLbl1f0ZfYyLD%2FODFyNr2X%2FG6lf1F72CL%2FC%2B0%2FLwdLRa7E72xNlAMnjtEi5RYVIjMpKhqloRSOUlx2EAgMZos8kMQ8TRlTeidOCvIT8zNO6%2FAucdcp6T0KJ4zaSzrD5cASdEcg9zTiu77erPh%2FVCDmk8DBCGlGro7YvhkPRXuADtMnAgqgmvPK14Ba8VOZ11VBIId20Sm%2BM05LinyPIQYHw7HYOpkX%2FjvGCbgGVxzg2WTFLyOUEhjh2PQnWhbX48fDW%2Fc7alVdF0Btak4IbgZ24wnQ%2FOQ1yLj1%2F9W8av9uFpfvnRj3K37cuE5OiHCQKVXVqCP29oARVUzioxQN4pO8LXwEi33USiMO9875FbXySWTvizbwkU2DP0uz5edPYFqnmWQuopbY4eHs4rlHhjF%2BjLb%2FpGHgFdN3WVShkBK0RKrbO7IkBTSV%2F%2FMmeP2YUL0kOZUj15cTAQljQJlfnBD1p1hLYmmKom73%2FQMk8B3%2FO%2FJ9ERXxpEHLX1%2FJKdjVtI3wVor0Z%2B3fMHkue1XnR0NtyqBIzCKM5wjrgXSDSyGS5bRKPlGd0pDhMKLKN6gbIV8YeOjEwwmw4PUccFiv4usrQ%3D%3D&checksum=1237736006947443393133e1424695f8616ec57a8acf

• Haha 2

Could just be the awful toning but I'd want to see this one on the scales before I bought it, my scales that is😉

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123849889017?ul_noapp=true

"t is a superior collectors coin with a superior tone one for the big boys and LADIES and is worth every penny "

Edited by Diaconis
missed quote of the day
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

Could just be the awful toning but I'd want to see this one on the scales before I bought it, my scales that is😉

"t is a superior collectors coin with a superior tone one for the big boys and LADIES and is worth every penny "

Ah, Marlybob.

See previous page (404).

5 hours ago, Diaconis said:

With such a terrible tone and other relevant factors, the "item" is already found wanting. It's not even worth the trouble to weigh it in the scales. 

On 4 August 2019 at 4:08 PM, Michael-Roo said:

Ah, Marlybob.

See previous page (404).

"STUNNING TONE". True - the sight of it was like being struck with a blunt instrument. :lol: She was lucky to get £98 for it, with or without assistance...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

"STUNNING TONE". True - the sight of it was like being struck with a blunt instrument. :lol: She was lucky to get £98 for it, with or without assistance...

She has form. 

Scrap metal coins all with the same artificial tone (see Paddy's post) then, every so often, a high end replica coin having been given the same treatment.

Seriously, I don't understand how bidders (apart from the shills that is), don't stop to think how someone who peddles all this crap has, every now and then, one or two items supposedly worth so much.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Seriously, I don't understand how bidders (apart from the shills that is), don't stop to think how someone who peddles all this crap has, every now and then, one or two items supposedly worth so much.

She does, though...!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I think it is not that likely she will get the £98 for it. The buyer O***R(16), placed bids on 175 items in 30 days!

Her interesting items have a habit of being relisted after being "sold". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2019 at 11:51 PM, Peckris 2 said:

The following questions arise:

1. If buried under a church's foundation stone for most of its life, why is it now in such bashed and battered condition?

2. If stolen in 1970, why was it put into a common or garden Whitman folder instead of being sold to a private collector?

3. Why is the cardboard recess for it in such poor condition compared to the other coins?

4. Why does it bear a startling resemblance to the replica 1933s produced a few years ago? 

5. Why does the damage look like it's been done deliberately?

6. How come such a poor speller has no problems with PROFESSIONAL and NUMISMATIST?

Unsold of course and relisted. It's now withdrawn (for the time being) after a couple of bid retractions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sword said:

I think it is not that likely she will get the £98 for it. The buyer O***R(16), placed bids on 175 items in 30 days!

Her interesting items have a habit of being relisted after being "sold". 

6 minutes ago, Sword said:

Unsold of course and relisted. It's now withdrawn (for the time being) after a couple of bid retractions. 

What a surprise.

The replica gothic crown (stunning tone!!!) was sold and relisted three or four times before she grew tired of it and moved on to something else.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sword said:

665956977_Untitled-Copy.thumb.jpg.05033b8a8e8d45de740dea28557b5729.jpg

And since removed. Funny that….

I guess he has picked up on this as he's reporting nearly every single post in this thread pertaining to him..

I've disabled the 'Reporting' feature for Guest accounts, so we all stop receiving spam.

• Like 3

Great to see you back :) !

• Like 1

I just got about 20 reported posts messages from a 'guest' concerning going-ons on this thread in 2017. Each message was the same and read:

"Please take this post down, as this is not my coin and my ebay user id is being linked to it, this is not my coin and this is slander, please take this down i have only just seen this post today

Thank you."

Obviously anyone can report a post and say 'this it wrong, or it's this or that' but I'm afraid without a name to verify any info, I can't just go removing posts. If you see this 'guest' what is your user id on eBay and exactly what are you referring to? I'll then look into it and take the appropriate action?

Thanks, Chris (Perkins)

1 minute ago, Test Mod said:

I just got about 20 reported posts messages from a 'guest' concerning going-ons on this thread in 2017. Each message was the same and read:

"Please take this post down, as this is not my coin and my ebay user id is being linked to it, this is not my coin and this is slander, please take this down i have only just seen this post today

Thank you."

Obviously anyone can report a post and say 'this it wrong, or it's this or that' but I'm afraid without a name to verify any info, I can't just go removing posts. If you see this 'guest' what is your user id on eBay and exactly what are you referring to? I'll then look into it and take the appropriate action?

Thanks, Chris (Perkins)

I removed the capabilities for a Guest to make a report, I think he wasn't going to stop.. 

If someone wants to report something, I'm sure they wouldn't mind providing a bit of info!

• Like 1

Thanks Nordle, yes 1 report about something would have been enough for me to look into it.