British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

On 7/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, 1949threepence said:

Before we get too sanctimonious and judgemental on sellers, maybe we should equally ask ourselves whether we would notify the seller what they'd got, if they were offering a real 1877 narrow date penny as a Bin for a tenner. 

My own 1877 F90 originally went up at 99p so I immediately contacted the vendor to tell him it was worth thousands and not to accept a tempting cash offer. Wound up driving up to Derby to inspect the coin before paying an arm and a leg for it !

• Like 4

Speaking of shill bidding, here’s some detective work

• Like 4

3 hours ago, azda said:

Speaking of shill bidding, here’s some detective work

Interesting clip

Numismatics’ nemesis, Numistacker again.

What a surprise. 

34 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

Interesting clip

Numismatics’ nemesis, Numistacker again.

What a surprise. 

Exactly, what a surprise. He’s now kissing ass of the bigger players in the field such as sovereign rarities.

27 minutes ago, azda said:

Exactly, what a surprise. He’s now kissing ass of the bigger players in the field such as sovereign rarities.

Now he has been rumbled Dave and you have caught him out, i will have £500 on him making his listings private in the next couple of weeks 👍

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Now he has been rumbled Dave and you have caught him out, i will have £500 on him making his listings private in the next couple of weeks 👍

Its a possibility Pete, but he's selling off more of the modern stuff (yet still shills it on his channel) and is heading towards older numismatics. He is selling the Gothic etc for his sidekick Marc, Marc in my mind is the shiller and those were his coins apart from the Gold Hawking 50p which was also resisted, so that means there'another shiller involved as that was a different winning bidder, but all in all Numistacker knows who they were and their intentions.

Slabs do have their advantages 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, secret santa said:

My own 1877 F90 originally went up at 99p so I immediately contacted the vendor to tell him it was worth thousands and not to accept a tempting cash offer. Wound up driving up to Derby to inspect the coin before paying an arm and a leg for it !

Well worth the car journey and any other inconvenience to eventually secure it though, Richard. Presumably the seller was in ignorance of what it was, and might easily have fallen for the first decent approach. Although to a suspicious mind that might well have prompted further investigation as to why someone should suddenly privately offer a largish sum on a 99p starting price auction, for a seemingly commonplace coin. 

You definitely did the right thing IMO.    

• Like 1

Far from being a penny aficionado, I had to read a thread from 2013 to see that F90 is a narrow date. In that post RCL35 had just picked one up in Chicago and various estimates  were bandied around at that time ranging from £2.5k to £10k. Just out of curiosity how many examples are known to exist of this type, roughly speaking?

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

Far from being a penny aficionado, I had to read a thread from 2013 to see that F90 is a narrow date. In that post RCL35 had just picked one up in Chicago and various estimates  were bandied around at that time ranging from £2.5k to £10k. Just out of curiosity how many examples are known to exist of this type, roughly speaking?

I'd say definitely <20: in all probability <15, and none of the known ones in especially good grade.

Even virtual washers go for very high prices. For example this one went for £3,600 hammer at LCA in March 2018:-

F90 REV.jpg

F90 OBV.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So he’s admitted shill bidding because it was a low price, but there are such things as a reserve for these kind of things 😏

03D41E2B-D46B-420A-ACFD-A93F6E98D8D1.jpeg

• Like 3

I have no time for him or his illegal practices. (Shill bidding is actually a criminal offence.)

But to point out - the reason virtually no one uses reserves on Ebay any more is because they charge a substantial percentage of the reserve in fees, even if your item does not sell.

• Like 1

Already told them about the 'lustrous unc' 1875 penny.  

Charlatan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

What's supposed to be on the reverse? (or obverse)

48 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What's supposed to be on the reverse? (or obverse)

It's blank (last photo on eBay). 

It's also very strange to have a hyphen between "Winston" and "Churchill". Let's just hope the thing wasn't made in the UK. 

• Like 3

They say Oscar Nemon’s design wasn’t exactly flattering but if this uniface example hadn’t Churchill’s name in legend you’d be hard pressed to identify who it is.

Where to begin?

Every item listed is a delight.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Where to begin?

Every item listed is a delight.

My thoughts exactly!!

Guess who

13 minutes ago, Coin#addict said:

Here's a guy who rainbow tones his coins by the dozen. 

what a surprise...Marleybob again

On 20 July 2019 at 4:15 PM, blakeyboy said:

Already told them about the 'lustrous unc' 1875 penny.  

Charlatan.

Another tempting Churchill listing from dorigog0…...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-Uncirculated-Winston-Churchill-Commemorative-Crown-Coin/283555066364?hash=item420532f1fc:g:6KAAAOSwfmldM7~x

• Haha 1

I'd be delighted to get 65p

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bagerap said:

I'd be delighted to get 65p

He probably came up with the £65 BIN by looking at the year of the coin. 

People like that are fairly harmless on a practical level. He hasn't ever sold a coin and probably never will because of his insane prices. 

The seller states 1 available, I wonder which one you’ll receive. There are two examples photographed.