British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Him thinking  a Shakespeare quote is a 'slogan' is amusing,

and, of course, it's  'glisters'.......as any fule kno.

Anyone fancy a pint in the Pedantic Bastard later on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The seller was surprising honest to apply that particular proverb to his coin. Doesn't it mean that something which looks good on the surface is not necessarily valuable?

Strange choice but honest. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173902880500?ul_noapp=true

What a load of bs in this seller's description! Of course he knows it's a fake!

Frank

• Like 1

Looks cast to me!

• Like 1

Free postage. Offer a quid. Fair value.

marlybob1's artificially red toned repro. Unbelievable. 

Still no feedback on the plain edge one though.

Repro Gothic Crown.jpg

• Confused 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/victoria-penny-1860-Extremley-Reare-Check-My-Picture/223513545513

Anyone fancy an "extremley reare" 1860 penny for the bargain price of £1450 ?

He's also trying to sell a 1939 penny which looks like it's gone for a rock-tumbler for £19. 

Luckily I checked the picture...

Edited by JLS
more sneer

8 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

marlybob1's artificially red toned repro. Unbelievable. 

Still no feedback on the plain edge one though.

Repro Gothic Crown.jpg

Is it possible this is a shill purchase ? With PayPal Credit or just a credit card linked to your PayPal it's not as if you actually need £900 to make the transaction. And I've heard of people opening PayPal accounts with prepaid cards and all sorts of other such shenanigans to bypass the one user one account rule. 

Here's a fake with pedigree. Someone has spent a great deal of time copying this half-ryal even down to the damage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-IV-1461-1470-Half-Ryal-first-reign-one-of-four-known/233191371531?hash=item364b49f30b:g:4jwAAOSwXdlcphHP

Provenance is exceptional:
Ex. Lord Stewartby, Spink 2016
Ex. Senior 1998
Ex. Lockett 1960 sold £7.10.0
Ex. P Carlyon-Britton 1937

1116956264_Screenshot2019-05-21at20_37_00.png.58425fb03c19dbfc1ffe3579b054243d.png

Faking coins with provenance is disconcerting to say the least especially if the genuine article is not photographed.

Obverse

95100948_Screenshot2019-05-21at20_38_25.png.9f7e3dbff1ec2c53af3ec11901c77a5f.png

Why do you think it is a fake? Looks ok to me.

20 hours ago, Rob said:

Why do you think it is a fake? Looks ok to me.

Rob, I bid on this coin in 2016 so I was interested to see it resurface. Why do I think it's fake? It seems to have lost relief detail and sharpness and tbh it doesn't look right - it even looks cast to me. Here are but a few examples on the obverse, see what you think:

2083691029_Screenshot2019-05-22at21_21_52.png.a5955ec96dfe9594b48c1218a4726b4d.png1632594037_Screenshot2019-05-22at21_20_48.png.b41fa122316f019db36ba9b84664cb9f.png Obv. ding missing on ebay example

131974526_Screenshot2019-05-22at22_01_11.png.33ae8f35d49b6a07b7711185bd5d75be.pngObv. Ebay example, Sword flattened, Bridge of nose missing, hair detail gone, groove above crown deeper.

• Like 2

1278854813_Screenshot2019-05-22at22_34_35.png.d966640505371e44d35ccec3efe95df9.pngthe mast is too flat here

more differences on the reverse.

Would you put this down to photographic quality or is there something to it?

• Like 1

I think it is down to photographic quality. Spink's images are too saturated for my taste. As for the ebay listing, I too can produce lifeless images which don't bring out the finer detail. However, the surfaces in closeup look as they did on the original as far as I recall.

The listed item still has a spot of red wax on the reverse at 5pm between the V and inner circle. This is visible on the original images. The piece of crud at the edge of the rays was also present on the original. I'm happy it is the same coin.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob said:

I think it is down to photographic quality. Spink's images are too saturated for my taste. As for the ebay listing, I too can produce lifeless images which don't bring out the finer detail. However, the surfaces in closeup look as they did on the original as far as I recall.

The listed item still has a spot of red wax on the reverse at 5pm between the V and inner circle. This is visible on the original images. The piece of crud at the edge of the rays was also present on the original. I'm happy it is the same coin.

Thanks for your considered opinion Rob and other information, greatly appreciated. In addition to the wax spot I also see many similarities however,  for me, some of the differences seem a tad too extreme to put down to a lifeless image or poor photography though this can only be verified in hand.

Just as a footnote to all and to elaborate on my initial post. The coin has changed hands at least twice since 2016 so I’d like to make clear that in no way was I  suggesting that the current seller was intending to deceive. I shall be more selective in my wording in future so as not to appear so dogmatic, maybe best I post during the daytime before Mr. Hyde visits🧟‍♂️🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

I just had an email from ebay as I offered £1 for this saying it had sold for £500..... 😮

While I totally condemn the seller, I also have absolutely no sympathy for the idiot who paid a 'monkey' for a 'Ricky Lake' - all the signs were there - what a prat!

Not sure it has sold - or else the seller has several identical (which would not be unlikely!). Original listing now has message saying the seller has relisted and that link takes you to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173912699137?ViewItem=&item=173912699137

This seller of fake Saxon and Celtic coins states that he has export approval from the ‘English Arts Council’. Well, even as a fictitious body I wouldn’t want to keep them here!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anglo-Saxon-AR-Early-Sceattas-Series-H-Type-48-HAMWIC-Mint-c-720-AD-M11/323820281502?hash=item4b65315e9e:g:9OUAAOSwX0Zc7nvY

Jerry

If she keeps this up she'll find herself in serious trouble. Surely ebay themselves blocked the last attempt?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1847-WW-SOLID-SILVER-PLAIN-EDGE-VICTORIA-GOTHIC-CROWN-MY-GRADE-E-F-plus/123785755191?hash=item1cd234ba37:g:Jw4AAOSw9A5criZ1

Edited by Michael-Roo

3 of the 4 bidders have only bid with her.She can't be the full shilling.

• Like 2

An apt comment Peter, she is marlyBOB after all…. Even using the same photos.

Pete (PWA) talked with someone at ebay last time so, although it ended on £1600, clearly no sale was made. Also, thanks to him, they are aware of this thread.

Edited by Michael-Roo