British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Five minutes ago I sent a message to mycopau alerting them to the marlybob1 listing. Should I receive a reply I'll share it here.

I see the one she offered in February went for two and a half grand. There should be a law etc. etc….

• Like 1

Well I've had a reply......

New message from: marlybob1 (454)

Hi I did yes but that was a nickel one I paint coins and that one I painted and gave away this one is solid silver and was bought in York with my other silver coins and i won't be painting this I don't paint silver coins and as I have told others im no expert I just sell coins to support my mum if they don't sell I have them melted to ingots apart from this one that is I do have a book that says a coin like this could be worth over 4000 and all that's been offered so far is just over a thousand and i won't sell it for that so they wont be getting it neither it will go in the safe until a later date 

Regards

Michelle

If I was selling it and been offered 'just over a thousand' I would of snapped their hand off! That would be a huge profit 

1 minute ago, Michael-Roo said:

Five minutes ago I sent a message to mycopau alerting them to the marlybob1 listing. Should I receive a reply I'll share it here.

I see the one she offered in February went for two and a half grand. There should be a law etc. etc….

Well done, that was going to be my next task!

Definitely the same repro artificially aged. 

Surely attempting to sell these described as genuine is a criminal offence?

• Like 1

Yes I'm sure it must be classed as fraud, I've reported to Ebay explaining it's the same coin as she bought but the listing was still live last time I looked

An interesting reply from mycopau:

I did indeed sell this to the young lady in question - I also pointed out the error of her ways only to be fed with all manor of tall tails! I also informed EBay of the fraudulent listing though as per eBay norm - no action.

Looks as if she has had a second attempt at artificial ageing- I suspect through one of her eBay associated sellers.

More than happy to publish her details to PD members forum.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I think it is almost certain that she never got any money for the February attempt as she has not received any feedback afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

Looks as if she has had a second attempt at artificial ageing- I suspect through one of her eBay associated sellers.

Yes, it looks very likely that this is a second (and more convincing) attempt to tone the same coin. 

Edited by Sword

9 hours ago, will1976 said:

New message from: marlybob1 (454)

Hi I did yes but that was a nickel one I paint coins and that one I painted and gave away this one is solid silver and was bought in York with my other silver coins and i won't be painting this I don't paint silver coins and as I have told others im no expert I just sell coins to support my mum if they don't sell I have them melted to ingots apart from this one that is I do have a book that says a coin like this could be worth over 4000 and all that's been offered so far is just over a thousand and i won't sell it for that so they wont be getting it neither it will go in the safe until a later date 

I wonder if she would like to try out one of these when making the above statements.

159989337_1-Copy.thumb.jpg.2e7625dbd4a3ce7cc01af4b205322c15.jpg

• Haha 1

As Ebay are refusing to take action, is it time to report to Action Fraud? Has anyone set up a login with them?

https://reporting.actionfraud.police.uk/login

I haven't followed the whole story, so maybe someone who has would like to pick this up?

47 minutes ago, Paddy said:

As Ebay are refusing to take action, is it time to report to Action Fraud? Has anyone set up a login with them?

I haven't followed the whole story, so maybe someone who has would like to pick this up?

You need to be a victim or acting on behalf of a victim to use ActionFraud, so I suspect 3rd party reports would be largely ignored.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

They've got a 24 hour action line, Paddy. So it wouldn't do any harm to contact, explain the position, and see what their advice is.

I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be interested in actual instances of potential fraud, even if from an unaffected third party.

22 hours ago, Sword said:

Found the listing from the original seller. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1847-VICTORIA-GOTHIC-CROWN-CONTEMPORARY-SILVER-FORGERY-See-Description-/264080811375?nma=true&si=hX46vC%2BxoiDdDtNubzED6M7TcHs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's the same coin I think. Looks like she has done some artificial toning. 

Before: 

1426999892_s-l500-Copy.jpg.81823088c27a8a4315e21fc012e902ab.jpg

After: the black spots below r and t of gratia and the spot on the right field are present.

1575671975_s-l1600-Copy-Copy-Copy.png.d21a9f4cade94329fe6df54340d756ef.png

And the abrasion below the 'g' of gratia.

3 hours ago, Nick said:

You need to be a victim or acting on behalf of a victim to use ActionFraud, so I suspect 3rd party reports would be largely ignored.

There is an option to report as "Witness" which I think would apply in this case. I don't know enough about the topic to report I fear...

• Like 1

I've just filed a report to Action Fraud, let's see what happens. 

• Like 3

On 4/24/2019 at 8:34 PM, HistoricCoinage said:

To me this looks like the front part of a Victorian button...I have sometimes found similar in bulk lots of coins bought from eBay or auction. £10 is not so ridiculous an asking price...but I like "the Romans left us with a legal system" !!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, craigy said:

looks funny to me ? 1937 crown       any thoughts ? 

Could be silver plated on a genuine coin to improve an undesirable example.

10 minutes ago, craigy said:

looks funny to me ? 1937 crown       any thoughts ? 

"circa 1930s" - I'm sure he could have narrowed it a bit closer than that.  Coin looks bleached.

9 hours ago, JLS said:

To me this looks like the front part of a Victorian button...I have sometimes found similar in bulk lots of coins bought from eBay or auction. £10 is not so ridiculous an asking price...but I like "the Romans left us with a legal system" !!

Fantastic fairy story.  I always get silver wrapped in pewter when I go magnet fishing too.

Looks perhaps like a livery button to me.....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

Could be silver plated on a genuine coin to improve an undesirable example.

Could I do that to some of the yobs where I live?

I think the dark points on the reverse could be where a thin coating has worn off. If the spots were areas where cleaning was ineffective they would be in the recesses, not the high points. The general blandness of the surfaces would support a coating too.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 12:21 AM, JLS said:

I've just filed a report to Action Fraud, let's see what happens. 

She has ended the sale by saying there is "an error" in the listing :) 

But she has now put it on auction: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123750447136?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

The 3 bids so far could be shill bids are the bidders have 100% activity with the seller.

If you google marlybob1, the predecimal site comes up as the fourth result on the first page and so people can see this discussion. This should help anyone thinking about bidding. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sword said:

She has ended the sale by saying there is "an error" in the listing :) 

But she has now put it on auction: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123750447136?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

The 3 bids so far could be shill bids are the bidders have 100% activity with the seller.

If you google marlybob1, the predecimal site comes up as the fourth result on the first page and so people can see this discussion. This should help anyone thinking about bidding. 

Reported, again. I suggest as many as possible here do so again too.

• Like 1