British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

25 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Wow indeed. I thought I’d check her other items to see if she had other rarities, I wasn’t disappointed. Sarah’s other offering to the numismatic fraternity at this time is a £2 coin which she’ll let go for £46. i think she may need to brush up on her braille. 

The obvious error is that St. Paul's is on its side

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2019 at 1:51 AM, JLS said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uncirculated-1887-Great-Britain-Shilling-Silver-Foreign-Coin/362530682379?

Sold a while back, but what's going on here ? It's not even a good example, look at all the rim damage on the reverse. 

I think you've got s point there....

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

Maybe only one or two have been slabbed? Say the other is a VF30 that someone slabbed to satisfy themselves it was genuine, then top pop is a given.

I can see someone slabbing it and getting a lesser sum of say AUD50-60 (which is still way OTT), but 300!!?

$300 for the second or third most common coin in UK history?? :lol:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

$300 for the second or third most common coin in UK history?? :lol:

It is madness. And there is another dealer on the USA EBay site who has hundreds of slabbed common uk coins at similar prices, many artificially toned (which seems to pass muster with the slabbers).  Is there really a market? Talk about the fool and his money....

Jerry

Edited by jelida
To correct auto spelling. It had substituted ‘slobbers’ for ‘slabbers’ . Seems somehow appropriate.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, jelida said:

Is there really a market? Talk about the fool and his money....

There honestly is. I know collectors stateside who will pay hundreds of dollars for common date George V coins slabbed at MS65 or above, when they only book £20 in Spinks in BU.

I think most of these people collect the numbers on the slab rather than the actual coin because a lot of these "MS65" coins have serious issues e.g. dipped, artificial toning and are really not gem specimens compared to what you could pick up at a UK coin fair. I've even seen a "MS65" bun penny with a noticeable finger print on Victoria's face ! People get pretty defensive though when you point it out, there's a lot of faith in the slabbing companies to pick up cleaning etc. despite the fact that both PCGS and NGC run cleaning  ahem...conservation companies themselves. 

I don't mind TPGs too much, as they're really valuable in fields where there is a lot of forgery going on - it would be difficult to collect rare early 20th century Chinese coins without them, for example. But you know there's something going wrong when coins with mintages in the millions, and thousands of pristine examples available to collectors are going for top dollar. 

Edited by JLS
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JLS said:

There honestly is. I know collectors stateside who will pay hundreds of dollars for common date George V coins slabbed at MS65 or above, when they only book £20 in Spinks in BU.

I think most of these people collect the numbers on the slab rather than the actual coin because a lot of these "MS65" coins have serious issues e.g. dipped, artificial toning and are really not gem specimens compared to what you could pick up at a UK coin fair. I've even seen a "MS65" bun penny with a noticeable finger print on Victoria's face ! People get pretty defensive though when you point it out, there's a lot of faith in the slabbing companies to pick up cleaning etc. despite the fact that both PCGS and NGC run cleaning  ahem...conservation companies themselves. 

I don't mind TPGs too much, as they're really valuable in fields where there is a lot of forgery going on - it would be difficult to collect rare early 20th century Chinese coins without them, for example. But you know there's something going wrong when coins with mintages in the millions, and thousands of pristine examples available to collectors are going for top dollar. 

I've seen them, and sometimes wondered precisely what criteria NGC use in determining whether a coin is MS65. I know they reject them if they've got verdigris, but fingerprints? who knows. 

Of course, there's fingerprints and fingerprints. Some are much more obvious than others. I always assume they were made shortly after minting. But of course, they might be the result of more recent careless handling.      

17 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I've seen them, and sometimes wondered precisely what criteria NGC use in determining whether a coin is MS65. I know they reject them if they've got verdigris, but fingerprints? who knows. 

Of course, there's fingerprints and fingerprints. Some are much more obvious than others. I always assume they were made shortly after minting. But of course, they might be the result of more recent careless handling.      

There are indeed fingerprints and fingerprints. I have a pattern 100 francs in silver from Monaco (1950), graded MS65 by NGC. It has a minor fingerprint on the reverse which doesn't really affect eye appeal; giving it a top grade in a slab seems fair. The bun penny I'm talking about had a subdued finger print on Victoria's face which was clear enough that you could probably use it in a criminal investigation; you had to hold it to the light in order to see the portrait properly at all. I think a coin like that would be better off toned brown than "fully lustrous" with such ugly contact marks. But the grading company didn't care. 

Regarding the MS65 criteria...all that PCGS says is "Above average strike with minor marks or hairlines, mostly out of focal areas". I think a fingerprint is treated as a minor handling mark...irrespective of the actual effect on the eye appeal of the coin. 

• Like 1

I wonder if a fingerprint is more of a case of (extreme) uneven toning rather than a surface mark. A BU silver coin with one fingerprint has reduced eye appeal. However, a silver coin picking up say 50 finger prints on both sides prior to being saved from circulation could develop into really nice toning after 50 years.

Classic rip off.

Utter disgrace

8 minutes ago, Sword said:

I wonder if a fingerprint is more of a case of (extreme) uneven toning rather than a surface mark. A BU silver coin with one fingerprint has reduced eye appeal. However, a silver coin picking up say 50 finger prints on both sides prior to being saved from circulation could develop into really nice toning after 50 years.

I don't know. Possibly.

Obviously if the coin continues in circulation and loses its lustre, then the fingerprints will vanish with the lustre.  

8 hours ago, Sword said:

I think what you are saying is that fingerprints are just the beginning of the process of patination and from a single fingerprint which (although unsightly) does demonstrate just minimal chemical interference with the coins surface. General handling will then, over time, apply considerable amounts of hand 'contamination' containing a spectrum of chemicals - oily, acidic, alkaline and so on, that will cause the original unsightliness to merge into a general patina that is pleasing to the eye. Yes I agree, but the results of handling are also combining with all of the other effects that a coin will be subjected to such as atmospheric conditions, wetness, dryness, heat, cold and amount of physical wear etc., until the coin is "rescued" from these combined effects when it becomes part of a collection and (unless it is slabbed) will then only be predominantly affected by atmosphere with the other influences minimised. Such is the 'life of a coin'. Wooden artefacts are similar, probably more so, since years of handling enhance their attractiveness.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Classic rip off.

Utter disgrace

Too right, that’s an expensive wooden box. Never looked at Danbury Mint before, judging by their website they’re a Jack of all trades.

17 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Classic rip off.

Utter disgrace

Disgusting. If the RM had issued a commemorative set in 1990 (they didn't) you could understand that packaging. But not the price. 

I hope no-one falls for it, and instead goes out to buy a BU 1940 silver set for less than £100.

Here's a guy selling multiple listings for fake kew gardens 50 pences. He has already sold a few at decent prices, granted he is not getting the full amount. I actually telephoned ebay yesterday who said they would pass it on to their fraud squad, yet nothing has been done. So obviously ebay condones the selling of fakes 😠

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-STUNNING-KEW-GARDENS-50p-COIN-BRILLIANT-UNCIRCULATED-MINT-CONDITION/293039146693?hash=item443a7e86c5:g:yPoAAOSwcT1coQXZ&redirect=mobile

2 minutes ago, Coin#addict said:

So obviously ebay condones the selling of fakes 😠

Notwithstanding the truth of the above statement, I don't see anything wrong with them. What am I missing? :huh: