British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

14 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Thanks for this very useful advice gents. Just off to suck a few eggs..............................

Thats a new one for me "just off to suck a few eggs " What does that mean ?.:D

When someone offers you advice that is "the bleedin' obvious" people describe it as "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" - don't ask me why, I think it's a stupid phrase.

• Haha 1

That phrase generally mean giving advice to someone who is more expert in a particular area. 

But then again, I do find it useful for friends to occasionally emphasise things I already know. 

Articles / sites on fakes are so instructive and entertaining for collectors of all levels! It will be greatly appreciated by all. 

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

Thanks for this very useful advice gents. Just off to suck a few eggs..............................

Have fun, Grandma

Look at this beauty - don't all rush to buy it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113651333826?ul_noapp=true

He's also got his "CAROLVS" mixed up with his "IACOBVS" (probably deliberately).

Frank

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Look at this beauty - don't all rush to buy it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113651333826?ul_noapp=true

He's also got his "CAROLVS" mixed up with his "IACOBVS" (probably deliberately).

Frank

Not sure it's deliberate. The catalogue illustrated shows the Scottish first issue of Charles I on which the King is unconventionally facing right. The one time where the left-right alternation doesn't apply because it's facing the same direction as the James I Scottish coinage. The real faux pas is the failure to correctly identify the reverse. Scottish reverses have two Scottish arms against the English one.

18 minutes ago, Coin#addict said:

Here's someone sneaking in a dodgy crown in his job lot.

"not sure if genuine" translates to "I know it's a fake, but I'm selling it anyway".

Of course he knows it's a fake. The 22g weight is mentioned so he can claim he wasn't trying to deceive - but just couldn't resist leaving the temptation to the ignorant that it might just be real.

To keep my feet on the ground regarding some Ebay users,

I sometimes search for 'chester draws' ( sic) for a laugh.......

• Haha 2

I often search for bulkier items locally with pick up only.

My best score was 2 sea fishing rods and reels and various bits of terminal tackle, immaculate condition and for the opening bid of £80....retail £280. :) The rods are 3 piece and fit into my MG.B)

11 hours ago, Nick said:

"not sure if genuine" translates to "I know it's a fake, but I'm selling it anyway".

He states "As winning bidder if you are not happy and return the item to me I will refund your purchase price and postage costs without question".

I have a suspicion he might not be honoring that promise. 

On 2/14/2019 at 12:36 AM, JLS said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1847-PLAIN-EDGE-VICTORIA-GOTHIC-CROWN-SOLID-SILVER-COIN-MY-GRADE-EF/123634333144

Bidding at £2,160...

The seller is previously of "I want a house for my £1 coin" fame. My feeling is that the edge photo is insufficiently clear (could be ex-mount ?). What do you all think ? 

"I want a million for a house". Then it was "I want 180K for a chip shop". And now a starting price of £5 with no mention of house or shop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-OF-A-KIND-MAJOR-ROYAL-MINT-DIE-SHARD-STRIKE-ERROR-2017-12-SIDED-1-COIN/123657536635?hash=item1cca90447b:g:kxAAAOSw11Bb3aql:rk:32:pf:0

ebay's gone a bit haywire recently.  Some joker wants £85,000 for a St Peter penny and another wants over £39,000 for an 1839 crown.  I don't care how rare they are or how much 'eye appeal ' they've got, this is just silly. 

2 hours ago, pokal02 said:

ebay's gone a bit haywire recently.  Some joker wants £85,000 for a St Peter penny and another wants over £39,000 for an 1839 crown.  I don't care how rare they are or how much 'eye appeal ' they've got, this is just silly. 

It's completely inane. OK as a joke once in a while, but too many now. Makes the seller look like a complete idiot. 

Yesterday while looking thru Ebay listings I tried pinging several listings of repro coins. Ebay did not seem to accept my Report Listing requests. Perhaps I have been judged as a vexatious reporter.

22 hours ago, rpeddie said:

Amazing that it made £187. Some poor s*d will be kicking himself!

Mind you, because of the reproduced wear it's quite convincing if you don't look too closely.

Frank

There seems to be a never ending supply of this sort of bollox on EBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAREST-VALUABLE-one-of-a-kind-1971-1p-Penny-THE-VALENTINE-FRANKEN-PENNY/192837875655?hash=item2ce60877c7:g:6XIAAOSw78xcZaZH

Another example of tape and acid dip. I am surprised he’s not also referring to it being an ultra rare ‘NEW PENNY’ 1971 coin as well.

Jerry

Either this one has been up for ages, or he has relisted it with the same daft photo! I remember seeing the same picture on a listing at least a year ago.

On 5 March 2019 at 2:51 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Free post - you can see it propping up the door on the right of the picture.. :lol:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

I don't understand why he is trying to dissuade bidders from offering higher than a pound. Surely the object is to raise as much money as possible.:huh:

• Like 1