British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Or this one if you prefer a bit of colour.            Anyone can get that effect by just using a blow torch on a bright untarnished bronze coin.  :D

Edited by terrysoldpennies

17 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Or this one if you prefer a bit of colour.            Anyone can get that effect by just using a blow torch on a bright untarnished bronze coin.  :D

Yes..........Absolute garbage and want throwing in the BIN.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273685950126?ul_noapp=true

Is this description an exaggeration?

N2236, S2807, is scarce at most. Or have I missed something?

Frank 

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273685950126?ul_noapp=true

Is this description an exaggeration?

N2236, S2807, is scarce at most. Or have I missed something?

Frank 

Well it's certainly not worth that much lol. In VF my old 2016 Spink book puts it at £500. 

It's america though , they seem to pay silly money over there for common coins. A fool and their money is easily parted i guess. 

Anyone in the know will give it a cursory glance and gag at the price and move on i suspect. Ebays full of dreamers like this seller unfortunately. 

Stu.

My 'bone of contention' is the description!

In my view they can ask what they want and if anyone is stupid enough to buy, then that's their problem. However, when descriptions such as extremely rare are banded around dubious bullsh*t about the mintmark and rarity of the date being on the reverse, these are blatant attempts to deceive and clearly fraudulent. 

I'll give it one thing though, the coin is quite reasonable and notwithstanding the Spink value, I certainly reckon a fair price would be £300.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

Totally agree Frank. 

See it every day now with people claiming varieties that they are not. 

I'd stretch to £300 for it myself if it was suitable priced. People like that sell very little I'd guess at prices like that. 

I've messaged the seller asking what numismatic reference provided the info being claimed. It'll be interesting what the response is.

Frank

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

I've messaged the seller asking what numismatic reference provided the info being claimed. It'll be interesting what the response is.

Frank

It would. It's not listed in spink as being rare. I'd bet if i dug my Brooker Collection book out it wouldn't be either. The anchor mintmarks not rare that i am aware of. Have you seen the price of his other sixpence? That's way over the mark as well. 

Stu. 

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes..........Absolute garbage and want throwing in the BIN.

BIN?  As in 'Buy It Now' ?

It's a rare coin. The vast majority of gp.B sixpences are cross on steps which is what the price in Spink is based on. After that the mintages nose dive. £5 of silver in the Anchor pyx is not a lot, with only heart (£4) and Negro's Head (£3) having a lower value. If it didn't have the crack it would be well into 4 figures. As it is, they paid £950 hammer for it in the December DNW sale where it was one of John Hulett's coins.

It looks to be the same dies as Brooker 588, but this coin appears to show the reverse mark over a castle on the flukes - this not recorded in Brooker.

Find me a decent one without a crack and I would buy it.

5 hours ago, Rob said:

It's a rare coin. The vast majority of gp.B sixpences are cross on steps which is what the price in Spink is based on. After that the mintages nose dive. £5 of silver in the Anchor pyx is not a lot, with only heart (£4) and Negro's Head (£3) having a lower value. If it didn't have the crack it would be well into 4 figures. As it is, they paid £950 hammer for it in the December DNW sale where it was one of John Hulett's coins.

It looks to be the same dies as Brooker 588, but this coin appears to show the reverse mark over a castle on the flukes - this not recorded in Brooker.

Find me a decent one without a crack and I would buy it.

Rob, 

Thanks for that. It shows (as often) that we all have a lot to learn!

I must message the guy and admit that I 'jumped the gun' somewhat, although the conversation did remain civil and I was just asking what numismatic reference gives details of this variety. It seem there is none.

Frank

• Like 1

And only a few miles from me. Be still my beating heart.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bagerap said:

And only a few miles from me. Be still my beating heart.......

Blandford has a very attractive bypass. :)

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Blandford has a very attractive bypass. :)

Which is just as well, because there's no decent beer in Blandford anymore.

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

"Ended by the seller as there was an error in the listing". You don't say!

• Haha 1

Rather than a punt (not available in Ennis), you will need something to beat away the little green men guarding the poly bag at the end of the rainbow.

3 to 6 millions at auction? It's only worth just over half a million euros if all the coins are made of pure gold!

Amazes me that he doesn’t just take them straight to auction? Seems such a shame for him to be giving them away on eBay!