British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

4 hours ago, bagerap said:

"This seller is spewing out this rubbish as can be seen by all of his other items!

People are still 'drawn-in' despite the buy-it-now prices - take a look at the buyer feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jubilee-Bust-Double-Florin-Roman-I-VICTORIA-DEI-GRATIA-Four-Crowned-Shields/264060685003?hash=item3d7b3e4acb:m:mtnUUZX7U-b6ET3Id_c1UXg:rk:1:pf:0"

Interestingly, the seller information shows Manchester and the item location shows Singapore. She looks like she's drop shipping.

Rather more interestingly, neither the post office address/postcode finder, nor Google maps are able to find the address given.

Chapeltown, up by Turton reservoirs, is not the centre of the universe, nor did the road name ring a bell as it should given we frequently do the circular walk around Wayoh and Entwistle reservoirs followed by a pint in the Strawbury Duck. The house number 65 implied a fairly long road with houses, but didn't match the two main roads heading towards Darwen/Blackburn, nor the cross road linking the two.

All in all, more than a little suspect.

17 hours ago, Rob said:

Rather more interestingly, neither the post office address/postcode finder, nor Google maps are able to find the address given.

Chapeltown, up by Turton reservoirs, is not the centre of the universe, nor did the road name ring a bell as it should given we frequently do the circular walk around Wayoh and Entwistle reservoirs followed by a pint in the Strawbury Duck. The house number 65 implied a fairly long road with houses, but didn't match the two main roads heading towards Darwen/Blackburn, nor the cross road linking the two.

All in all, more than a little suspect.

In fact there is no such postcode. There's a BL7 but not an 8LD.

There's a Walwyn Close in Trafford, but that's M32. 

It's obviously a made up address. 

Edited by 1949threepence

Drink. It can have terrible effects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

😂😂 He thinks by hiding the date its going to be 1869 with Lizzy and Edward VII portraits........Just shows you how eBay is

I messaged him suggesting he had mixed up the pictures and now it has been pulled.

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.:lol:

Edited by Peckris 2

We really do need a button saying this item was listed because there was an error in the member. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Rob said:

We really do need a button saying this item was listed because the seller is a member.

Subtlety.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1913-NGC-MS-64-1-2-Crown-George-V-Great-Britain-Silver-Coin-18091610C/392215477362?hash=item5b51dd3c72#viTabs_0

IMO this coin is over graded and over priced I think. AU 58 -MS 61 is a more accurate grade and price wise  over GBP 148  too much  even if  it was making the grade of MS 64.

Edited by ozjohn

A large number of slabbed British pieces are overpriced in the US, whether it be eBay or saleroom. Stick a higher number on the label and the price often doubles or more. eg. the latest Heritage sale has an 1887 crown currently sitting at $1100. A good few years ago now, someone paid approx £300 after add-ons for a 1901 penny, and there has been a number of Elizabeth II bronze selling for £50+ against a couple of quid for a raw coin. It's a parallel universe.

Edited by Rob

I'll keep an eye on and see if it sells. We shall  see.

Biggest scam going in the numismatic world imo. Some years ago I purchased a Cromwell halfcrown graded NGC AU55. In the same auction was another graded PGCS MS62, it had attractive toning but was obviously worn and scratched. The AU55 example was in far better overall condition, under graded and without scratches or wear but not attractively toned. I purchased it for less than half the selling price of the other. It was no exception either, I regularly see such anomalies. On the one hand you can find bargains and on the other hand some people may  be in for a shock when selling.

I always liberate the coin and almost ceremoniously destroy the grading ticket. Sod their population reports  I say.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

I always liberate the coin and almost ceremoniously destroy the grading ticket. Sod their population reports  I say.

:D

Given the state of wear to the reverse and the ammount of tooling to George's bust this coin was fairly dead on its feet by the time the enamel came. I'd estimate 1885-1920. Arts and Craft Movement. Every man an artist/metalsmith/jeweller/etc. In truth, it was a period when ordinary working folk started to to produce works of art at home. Started of as a middle class thing but at the start of the C20th, the Workers Educational Trust opened up opportunities for working people to become involved. And they took to it with a vengance.

Looking at the other offerings of this seller, I think the enamel is of a decidedly more recent vintage... 

39 minutes ago, JLS said:

Looking at the other offerings of this seller, I think the enamel is of a decidedly more recent vintage... 

Indeed. 

His ANTIQUE ENAMELLED 1866 VICTORIA FOURPENCE / GROAT is definitely Arts and Crafts revival and well worth a look.

Astounding what can’t be done in your kitchen with a dremmel and an oven.

It's also in uncurculated condition...

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

I suspect the vendor may still not realise judging by the condition listed immediately below the title listing ;)

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

... From Russian Federation... with zero feedback... I think I'll pass thank you!

5 minutes ago, Paddy said:

... From Russian Federation... with zero feedback... I think I'll pass thank you!

Go on Paddy, I bet you don't have any of those! :D

• Like 1