British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

4 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

Oh dear. Why would anyone bid on that. The case doesn't match the set and the set may well be an odd assortment of different date coins 😣

different date- different rulers- and same denominations :) almost playing bingo of what is wrong with it

• Haha 1

So they are lol. 3 three pences 😂

I agree they are rare, but I'm not convinced a NVF Freeman 18 is worth £2k.

link 

On 12/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, 1949threepence said:

Ha, Ha - but actually not so on this occasion, Bob. No, something was definitely wrong with the clock. Bid history is below. Why would the other late bidder make a lower bid than mine with one second to go, when the confirm box shows the latest bids coming in?

My bid was supposedly 25 seconds before the close, easily enough time for the other bidder to adjust their amount bid, or decide not to bid.  

Bid history on the item  

Can anyone explain the sniping system?

I leave the price I am prepared to pay, at any time, and if I'm outbid, no matter, since to win it I would have had to spend more than I wanted to...

or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Can anyone explain the sniping system?

I leave the price I am prepared to pay, at any time, and if I'm outbid, no matter, since to win it I would have had to spend more than I wanted to...

or am I missing something?

Sort of. Although in a literal sense, what you said above is absolutely correct. 

Sniping on e bay is waiting until the last few seconds of an auction and making a bid at an unrealistically high level, safe in the knowledge that you will most likely win as no-one else has bid such a high amount, and that you won't pay that amount, only the next bid point beyond the highest bidder behind you.

Given that in the "confirm bid" box you see other late bids in real time, you know where you stand up until those last few seconds.    

I will admit that on occasions this can backfire when somebody else has the same idea as you, and you will either be pipped at the post, or else win at a higher amount than you would ideally have paid. But this is rare. Most of the time it works very effectively.   

Of course, you have to make a strong mental note of the time and date of the auction end, or set your phone to remind you at the time (best practice), as it's very easy to forget on the day, and only remember a few hours later when it's too late. Also arrange to be in at the time. 

ETA: I should just add that the above is how I snipe - manually. There are other methods involving software and proxy bids. This link explains all.

Edited by 1949threepence

Yes...that makes sense.

But how does it make your winning bid cheaper?

Is it simply you being the only one willing to take the risk of paying more when you leave an  unrealistically high bid,

and hoping it doesn't backfire, as you say?  Like a form of brinksmanship?

I use Gixen to snipe. Costs i think £5 to use for the year paid via PayPal. It drops two bids in for you from different servers in case one fails. Can have it strike at 6 or 3 seconds. I usually just put in what i am willing to pay , if i get it for less it's all good. 

It takes out the frustration of sitting and physically waiting for the auction to end then fumbling around last minute to drop the bid in , that's too stressful for me. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Yes...that makes sense.

But how does it make your winning bid cheaper?

Is it simply you being the only one willing to take the risk of paying more when you leave an  unrealistically high bid,

and hoping it doesn't backfire, as you say?  Like a form of brinksmanship?

It doesn't, except in the sense that you are normally paying a lot less than you bid.

For me, this is the method to more or less guarantee success when there is a coin you really want.

The usual reason for sniping is to avoid attracting other bidders to the item you want and so reduce competition. As soon as an item starts shooting up it becomes obvious to others that there is something interesting there. If this happens early on, people have a chance to investigate and also test how high others have bid by putting in bids of their own. All this is impossible if it is all happening in the last few seconds of bidding.

That is the only way you save money by sniping - you hope to reduce competitive bidding.

Good spot there - 16 bids, no less! Yikes, that is a bit of trash....

53 minutes ago, Coin#addict said:

I dont think the seller had any idea what it was and wasnt intending to deceive.

There does not appear to be any shilling just listed at 99p and they have not sold a coin before.

On the other subject of sniping it has the benefits rather than leaving a bid a few days before at the highest you want to pay ,on a coin worth a few quid its to easy for the seller to see your maximum bid.

I.E. You leave a bid for £140 a couple of days before ( that shows a lot less ) the seller has a look on another account and puts in a shill bid of £139 😟

You see some accounts that have retracted loads of bids and doubt they have made that many mistakes.

Edited by PWA 1967

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I dont think the seller had any idea what it was and wasnt intending to deceive.

There does not appear to be any shilling just listed at 99p and they have not sold a coin before.

On the other subject of sniping it has the benefits rather than leaving a bid a few days before at the highest you want to pay ,on a coin worth a few quid its to easy for the seller to see your maximum bid.

I.E. You leave a bid for £140 a couple of days before ( that shows a lot less ) the seller has a look on another account and puts in a shill bid of £139 😟

You see some accounts that have retracted loads of bids and doubt they have made that many mistakes.

Oh..I didn't know that a seller can see a bidder's maximum....

Yes by using someone elses account.

Put a bid in for £1000 so you know it will be higher ,it will then show the £140 then just retract the bid as entered  the wrong amount in error and put in £139 a day or so after.

Ahhhhh!!!

You have learned well, Grasshopper....

28 minutes ago, Coin#addict said:

"I know absolutely nothing about coins, except to focus your attention on the (replica) Gothic crown, and the (fools') gold 1902"

This toe-rag is back:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarborough-Silver-Siege-Piece-Coin-Hammered-Metal-Detecting-medieval-saxon-/183594648280?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

34 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Reported him again. Instead of reporting it as a coin I've reported it as a fake / fraudulent item. Left some comments about his finds being fake made by casting or precious metal clay. 

Stu.

Can anyone give me their opinions on this Henry 1st penny before I try to purchase it please? Thanks in advance.

2018-12-21 08.31.52.png

1 hour ago, Coin#addict said:

Can anyone give me their opinions on this Henry 1st penny before I try to purchase it please? Thanks in advance.

2018-12-21 08.31.52.png

Looks geniune to me. Not something you often see in that condition so scarce. Moneyer reads Sigarus on London. Star in Lozenge fleury type spink 1274.