British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

12 minutes ago, jelida said:

I sent him a polite message too, after reading this. No reply, but it looks as though the weight of criticism has come to bear and he has pulled the coin.  

Jerry

This tactic works I think, sometimes anyway - force of opinion of numbers maybe. After I received the seller's last message yesterday and after my previous post I sent him a link to this discussion just to give him the message that people were talking about him/her.

Frank

I think the worn penny with the "WW1 bullet" through it, may have been mentioned before. Any rate I came across it while browsing George V pennies, and messaged the seller, and received the reply shown below. link to item

Yes mate, it is what it is, and that bullet certainly didn't get there on the field of battle. 

eBay7?euid=3b5d9cc1116a414ea75d535f4baeea70&

New message from: daniejorda60 (30Yellow Star)

Im know ww1 expert i just sometging i brought to sell on im not lying in my description it is what it is. But i appreciate you taking your time out to message me rhis this information appreciate it bud. If you can tell me anything else that would be great!! Best wishes Dan Jordan

Make an offer

Your previous message

It may be a WW1 bullet, but it certainly wasn't put there in WW1. That coin has about 50 odd years of wear on it.

• Like 1

Can't see any sign of rifling on the bullet either.

1 hour ago, Fubar said:

Can't see any sign of rifling on the bullet either.

Beautifully centered. 

Noted the shiny copper at the edge of the hole on the obverse side.

And he wasn't being totally honest as he is making the claim that it is a 1914 bullet tip. How could he date the bullet to a specific year, particularly as he is "know" ww1 expert?

On 28 November 2018 at 10:14 PM, Sword said:

And he wasn't being totally honest as he is making the claim that it is a 1914 bullet tip. How could he date the bullet to a specific year, particularly as he is "know" ww1 expert?

[Adopts tone of voice of the railway bore you dread sitting next to you...] Ah well you see, it's quite easy to tell. I can see from the riffle squod mark that the bullet was made in the North Croydon Works of the Machine Arms Co and they only made them with that particular riffle squod up to 17th August 1914 and the entire consignment apart from one case was used before November 1914 in the Belgian trenches on the Western Front - the one case was used in 1915 but only at Gallipoli so if I was a betting man I'd feel my money was safe in saying that is a 1914 bullet. As I was saying to my friend Roger only last Tuesday - and there's no-one knows more than Roger about riffle... [cont p.94]

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I agree, astounding! I have sent the vendor a further message , awaiting reply. I have reported it and would encourage others to do likewise.

Jerry

9 minutes ago, jelida said:

I agree, astounding! I have sent the vendor a further message , awaiting reply. I have reported it and would encourage others to do likewise.

Jerry

Reported (again).

Likewise again. I may not always post daily but i visit regularly, been watching this one. Definitely a scoundrel.

Has anyone got any leverage with CCF? Might be worth posting it up on there as they have an excellent track record of getting these pulled. 

I can't find the CCF reporting counterfeit heading anymore. I'll message the owner Bobby and see what's happening.

The CCF boards for reporting fakes have been made private. I'll be a member by close of business today. You can apply to CCF boss bobby for entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

It's been pulled. Well done guys!

Frank

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, 1949threepence said:

I think the worn penny with the "WW1 bullet" through it, may have been mentioned before. Any rate I came across it while browsing George V pennies, and messaged the seller, and received the reply shown below. link to item

Yes mate, it is what it is, and that bullet certainly didn't get there on the field of battle. 

I see he sold it for 4.99!

Frank

1 minute ago, hibernianscribe said:

I see he sold it for 4.99!

Frank

At least the buyer hasn't lost any significant money.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

It's a different world out there. I can't remember which sale, but a 1960 1/2d went for $80(?) or some similarly ludicrous sum on the back of a 65 label. But then there is only one of them known...............not

Just told him it's a fake.....

deleted

Edited by 1949threepence

Looks like this one's gone a bit mad with the gold spray - I've never seen so much lustre before on a worn penny!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183576226751?ul_noapp=true

Well it is Christmas, I suppose!

Frank