British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

Do what?

Phew.....you didn’t.

31 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well he is willing to swap it for something 😊

I cant really think of anything i have got though , maybe i will have have a look in the rubbish bin.

I wonder how much there head must be messed up to even go to the trouble of listing them 😮

50 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well he is willing to swap it for something 😊

I cant really think of anything i have got though , maybe i will have have a look in the rubbish bin.

I wonder how much there head must be messed up to even go to the trouble of listing them 😮

Well, he succeeded in getting the coin noticed!

eBay told me they can't take these down. As the lister says they are just plated. Fake slabs, even in the description. So I contacted PCHS as they have the VERO rights.

The problem is some Roughian Rascal will buy them and try and sell them as genuine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-PLATED-COPPER-BELLE-STATUE-PCGS-MS64-OLD-COLLECTION/401637050205?hash=item5d836f075d:g:6RcAAOSwBfhb7yKI:rk:1:pf:1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-SILVER-PLATED-COPPER-EAGLE-BELLE-STATUE-PCGS-AU58/401637046115?hash=item5d836ef763:g:vQ0AAOSwZtRb7yFZ:rk:2:pf:1

Edited by markflorida

I definitely DON'T want a pint of what he's on.

"I know absolutely nothing about them".

"I'm no coin expert ".

"Now I wasn't clued up on coins".

"Now im no expert"

When will some people learn that con men always say something like that?

48 minutes ago, Sword said:

"I'm no coin expert ".

"Now im no expert"

I would dearly like to understand how this consistent lack of numismatic knowledge almost invariably goes hand in hand with a 1933 penny, mysteriously plucked out the ether, given by grandad, or found in a junk box - which is probably why it was there in the first place. If genuine, a good place to start would be a reputable auction venue - i.e.not ebay which is full of rogues and deluded idiots. Maybe the concept of what goes around, comes around is too difficult to grasp?

1 hour ago, Sword said:

"I'm no coin expert ".

"Now im no expert"

When will some people learn that con men always say something like that?

Definitely a con artist. Look at the way those two separate ditties were written. That's obviously a literate individual trying to feign illiteracy, so as to appear like the innocent simpleton, who just accidentally stumbled across this unexpected stash. 

The amount of corrosion is interesting- maybe more galvanic than usual because of the steel box?

A box of junk IMO

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

A box of junk IMO

....... which for some remarkable reason is in nothing like the same condition as the rest of the crap. Wonder why? Or maybe not.

This one looks like a fake to me although I am not a crown person.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNCIRCULATED-MS-1845-Victorian-crown/312331408109?hash=item48b86712ed:g:OjQAAOSwHrlb6yM0

Its not even offered as a reproduction.  Assuming I'm correct this is a deliberate case of fraud.

34 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

This one looks like a fake to me although I am not a crown person.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNCIRCULATED-MS-1845-Victorian-crown/312331408109?hash=item48b86712ed:g:OjQAAOSwHrlb6yM0

Its not even offered as a reproduction.  Assuming I'm correct this is a deliberate case of fraud.

It is a fake.  In addition to only looking similar to a crown, it has a reeded edge.

Notified the seller.

The reply will be amusing....:)

It certainly isn't even a MS fake!!!

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, Nick said:

It is a fake.  In addition to only looking similar to a crown, it has a reeded edge.

I sent 'goldnsilver_6' a polite message last week and he/she responded thanking me for my advice (which was to amend the description). Now for some strange reason he/she keeps resending their reply (I've had three so far, latest one this afternoon) as though they are inviting me to enter into an argument or conversation about it - weird!  I notice it's not been removed or changed, so the crime is quite blatant. I'll not give this cowboy any more of my time.

Perhaps they are seeking attention or something?

Frank

It seems to me that Ebay is happy to support their sellers' attempts to defraud their buyers. I guess cavete emptor applies.

Edited by ozjohn

Just now, ozjohn said:

It seems to me that Ebay is happy to support their sellers' attempts to defraud their buyers.

Absolutely, time and time again!

I begin to suspect that Ebay do not employ anyone to vet UK listings or investigate fraudulent practices in the UK. None of our reports seem to have any effect and if you speak to Ebay it is always someone overseas (US or Philippines). Anyone know if they have any offices here?

Ebay does not have anyone with coin knowledge working with them. Up until a few years ago there was a committee checking fake coins and I was in contact with one of its members. There came a change of ownership or management at ebay and the committee was scrapped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

There came a change of ownership or management at ebay and the committee was scrapped.

As I've said before, eBay behaves more like an organised crime group than a business.

I'm being very careful in what I say because I don't want to be sued, but this comment from the individual mentioned previously, pretty much says it all.

"It was increasingly clear that any coin, even the most blatant fake, was safe if it came from a major SuperSeller"

19 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I sent 'goldnsilver_6' a polite message last week and he/she responded thanking me for my advice (which was to amend the description). Now for some strange reason he/she keeps resending their reply (I've had three so far, latest one this afternoon) as though they are inviting me to enter into an argument or conversation about it - weird!  I notice it's not been removed or changed, so the crime is quite blatant. I'll not give this cowboy any more of my time.

Perhaps they are seeking attention or something?

Frank

I sent him a polite message too, after reading this. No reply, but it looks as though the weight of criticism has come to bear and he has pulled the coin.  

Jerry