British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

21 hours ago, Peter said:

Bleedin Lanc (ies)

:o

On 9/13/2018 at 8:12 PM, jelida said:

This guy is back:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-V-1933-Pennys-my-grandmother-said-son-only-sell-when-times-a-tough/123397155401?hash=item1cbb0b2a49:g:4l4AAOSwIJdblqpW

Hasn't taken it to "a local auction if it didn't sell in two weeks"

No mention of raising money for his grandparents' headstone this time or that he was robbed recently

Now trying to get £25 rather than the £400 😄

2 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

The reports may well be true, but the story isn't.  Even a small amount of gold in the mix would cause all of the coins to be overweight and thus would be rejected.

I just wondered if the story had even existed, and hadn't been reported, and wasn't just made up to sell some coins....

I just can't believe the seller's story. 

He states that the story was reported in:

"1926 - Dundee Evening Telegraph (April 21st), Lancashire Evening Post (April 21st & May 29th), Northern Daily Mail (May 29th),  Newcastle News, Pennsylvania, USA (June 12th).
1934 - Nottingham Evening Post (February 7th & November 22nd), Western Morning News (November 25th).
1940 - Angus Evening Telegraph (January 28th).
1955 - Birmingham Daily Post (November 1st). "

Can't see how anyone can possibly get this extensive information. And no one can check any of the above now. 

On 30 September 2018 at 7:20 PM, Sword said:

This guy is back:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-V-1933-Pennys-my-grandmother-said-son-only-sell-when-times-a-tough/123397155401?hash=item1cbb0b2a49:g:4l4AAOSwIJdblqpW

Hasn't taken it to "a local auction if it didn't sell in two weeks"

No mention of raising money for his grandparents' headstone this time or that he was robbed recently

Now trying to get £25 rather than the £400 😄

Do you think he's now hoping to draw interest with a shill bid? Anyone viewing his item would see the page includes many examples of the same repro being offered much more cheaply.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123397155401?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Do you think he's now hoping to draw interest with a shill bid? Anyone viewing his item would see the page includes many examples of the same repro being offered much more cheaply.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123397155401?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

The bidder is m***o and the seller is "mitmitchantho". Hence, it does look like a shill bid and he is not being very subtle either

This person has not got a single feedback for selling either. His recent feedbacks were for buying anti stress pills and sleeping pills and so it looks like some desperate and naive attempt to make some money.

Edited by Sword

1 hour ago, Sword said:

The bidder is m***o and the seller is "mitmitchantho".

Ebay does not make things that straightforward. That would allow bidders to be identified.  The username is encoded into a random sequence, probably containing few of the original letters.  In this case, the m and o are just coincidental as you can see that the seller has 125 feedback whereas the bidder has 234.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

if you click on the bids, then the bidder, you get to see how many bids the bidder has with that seller.

Whenever that figure is 100%, you can certainly get a feel for whether you're being had or not.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I just wondered if the story had even existed, and hadn't been reported, and wasn't just made up to sell some coins....

I have a vague recollection of having heard it before at some point, but not sure when or where. 

It would indeed be interesting if an old news report could be located and linked to. 

22 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I don't think so! However, I can probably hazard a guess how it arose.

You may have seen some 1920 and 1921 pennies with gold coloured flecks in them. It's actually brass and appears to have been caused by the Mint putting unused shell cases left over from the War into the mix. I actually own a couple of these, and while I can't confirm the truth of the cause, I can certainly verify that there are pennies out there with gold-coloured flecks in them. That could well be the origin of the myth about 1922 pennies.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

You may have seen some 1920 and 1921 pennies with gold coloured flecks in them. It's actually brass and appears to have been caused by the Mint putting unused shell cases left over from the War into the mix. I actually own a couple of these, and while I can't confirm the truth of the cause, I can certainly verify that there are pennies out there with gold-coloured flecks in them. That could well be the origin of the myth about 1922 pennies.

I'm not entirely convinced about the "brass shells in the mix" explanation - has this ever been officially verified? The reason I'm unconvinced is this penny that shows the typical "brass in the mix" effect but that predates WWI. I've also got one or two from 1918.

1913 1d (3).jpg

3 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I'm not entirely convinced about the "brass shells in the mix" explanation - has this ever been officially verified? The reason I'm unconvinced is this penny that shows the typical "brass in the mix" effect but that predates WWI. I've also got one or two from 1918.

That looks more like 'streaky lustre' than the effect I'm talking about?

13 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

That looks more like 'streaky lustre' than the effect I'm talking about?

Can you show me what you mean? This is the same as any of the others I've seen. :unsure:

6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Can you show me what you mean? This is the same as any of the others I've seen. :unsure:

Sadly I never scanned them - they're still in a Whitman folder somewhere. Sometime...

This, however, is my 1926 penny which is exactly like your streaky example:

19939134_streakypenny.jpg.c9f06eb78b521e57ec038cdcc0bc9ab7.jpg

8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Sadly I never scanned them - they're still in a Whitman folder somewhere. Sometime...

This, however, is my 1926 penny which is exactly like your streaky example:

19939134_streakypenny.jpg.c9f06eb78b521e57ec038cdcc0bc9ab7.jpg

i'm pretty sure moulten metal will just dissolve instantly, not leave lumps of brass like cookie chips in a cookie ??

29 minutes ago, craigy said:

i'm pretty sure moulten metal will just dissolve instantly, not leave lumps of brass like cookie chips in a cookie ??

All metals are common only in that they are metals. Apart from that they have different melting points which means that a particular element may or may not be molten in what appears to be all liquid. Of Copper, Gold and Silver, the latter has the lowest melting point of the three at 960C, with the other two over a hundred degrees higher. Bronze melts around the same temperature as silver or a bit lower, depending on the ratio of the constituent metals. Tin by contrast melts at only 231 degrees. They don't just dissolve, as they are not the same as organic compounds, the metal being a crystal lattice and hence much more tightly bound to adjacent atom. Think covalent and ionic bonding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

All metals are common only in that they are metals. Apart from that they have different melting points which means that a particular element may or may not be molten in what appears to be all liquid. Of Copper, Gold and Silver, the latter has the lowest melting point of the three at 960C, with the other two over a hundred degrees higher. Bronze melts around the same temperature as silver or a bit lower, depending on the ratio of the constituent metals. Tin by contrast melts at only 231 degrees. They don't just dissolve, as they are not the same as organic compounds, the metal being a crystal lattice and hence much more tightly bound to adjacent atom. Think covalent and ionic bonding. 

i'm sure i have an Edward VII with the streaks, will have a look later if i get time 

2 hours ago, craigy said:

In addition to what @Rob said, the pennies I'm talking about look exactly as if bits of metal are stuck in them like chips in a biscuit. Not streakiness, but discrete little gold-coloured flecks (probably brass) that are embedded into the content of the penny, not simply on the surface like streaky lustre.

Edited by Peckris 2

1 minute ago, Peckris 2 said:

In addition to what @Rob said, the pennies I'm talking about look exactly as if bits of metal are stuck in them like chips in a biscuit. Not streakiness, but discrete little gold-coloured flecks (probably brass) that are embedded into the content of the penny, not simply on the surface like streaky lustre.

I've never seen anything like that, only the streaky ones. Here's a 1920 - both this and the 1913 above have lamination issues. It looks to me like a problem with the metal mix which is why I always thought this was the brass issue described.

1920 lamination.jpg