British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

17 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-KING-GEORGE-V-ONE-PENNY-1d-COIN-/283083061180

This is really niggling me - while the text of the seller is telling no lies, I feel there is certainly an element of deception here.

Of course there is. Nobody is going to sell an EF 1911 penny on a buy it now for £3.99. The photos (why a run of the duplicates of the reverse only, I wonder), therefore, are there to make the buyer think they are getting a coin like the one illustrated, whereas in reality they will be getting a worn out washer. He has 7 available, but I bet they are not anything like the one shown.

Whilst the listing annoys me and gives me no respect whatsoever for the seller, I would also say that any buyer sending off his £3.99 expecting to get an Uncirculated 1911 Penny is naive in the extreme. Maybe they would at least learn the lesson to read the description properly in the future! Caveat Emptor.

2 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-KING-GEORGE-V-ONE-PENNY-1d-COIN-/283083061180

This is really niggling me - while the text of the seller is telling no lies, I feel there is certainly an element of deception here.

Yep, it's the archetypal example of making sure you read the small print. 

A lousy trick designed to trip up the naive and unwary, but perfectly within the rules. 

Caveat Emptor. 

Are you saying that's a fake Paddy? :huh:

36 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

The grade description definitely is.

41 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

It looks wrong to me! I can't say anything specific but the toning looks very artificial and exactly the style that they create on fake coins. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even if the grade was correct.

Nah, it's ok. Who would fake that?

I think it's just a combination of deceptive photography, probable cleaning and blatant lies about the grade.

Apart from that it's great. :)

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

Nah, it's ok. Who would fake this?

I think it's just a combination of deceptive photography, probable cleaning and blatant lies about the grade.

Apart from that it's great. :)

I stand corrected. 😊 I still wont be buying it though...

Just now, Paddy said:

I stand corrected. 😊 I still wont be buying it though...

Well treat yourself to one of those nice Gouby Xs instead. :lol:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jelida said:

It might be a TB/BB mule if you send it to PCGS. Those of us a bit longer in the tooth on this forum will remember they have past form with this attribution.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Easy mistake to make though - those early toothed obverses look quite like beaded ones.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Easy mistake to make though - those early toothed obverses look quite like beaded ones.

I’m far from convinced that in Lukasz’s case it is actually a mistake........

Jerry

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

There are a lot of farthings that have been certified by PCGS and NGC, as mules, that are not really mules...in fact they look just like the example shown here, but are slabbed as mules. This type of a mistake does not happen with Half Pennies, and Pennies, but is seen, once in a while, in the farthings.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Though it does look like a reasonable F15.

It is an F15 Jerry you can clearly see the signature under the bust making it an obverse 4 and the reverse D has the longer teeth which do have a similar look to beads in some photographs.

9 hours ago, Rob said:

It might be a TB/BB mule if you send it to PCGS. Those of us a bit longer in the tooth on this forum will remember they have past form with this attribution.

Indeed we do....

7 hours ago, jelida said:

I’m far from convinced that in Lukasz’s case it is actually a mistake........

Jerry

I find him to be ever the optimist.....

21 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Not for anyone with a reasonable level of experience, such as Lukasz. He would be able to see in an instant, just as we can, that it wasn't a mule.  

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

I've emailed him - it'll be interesting to see whether he pulls it !

21 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Not for anyone with a reasonable level of experience, such as Lukasz. He would be able to see in an instant, just as we can, that it wasn't a mule.  

Never let the truth get in the way of a lucrative sale! :rolleyes:

I just feel sorry for the buyer. :(

• Like 1