British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

of course just report it there a

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

re lot of fake florins around the most common is 1864 .  they seem to have the obverse for the gothic and use it for the crowns and sadly they make them now in silver and have managed to get the edging right.  There are usually however minor aberrations in the fancy gothic dentals around the edge which give them away a little 

There is a noticeable increase in the number of low grade George IV Crowns i have noticed lately.  Also be very careful of the Vic Shillings for sale the copies are very good from china at the moment.  There is a noticeable flaw on the reverse on the right side half way up the band one of the oak leaves is attached to the outer rim 

every week they appear get sold then reappear either they come back like boomerangs or a cousin sells them back 

she seems to have very Pert lips 

27 minutes ago, jelida said:

Is there a new version of Verdicare for putting realistic gunge on newly minted crap?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, davidrj said:

Is there a new version of Verdicare for putting realistic gunge on newly minted crap?

yes the chinese have managed to age coins pretty well especially darkening silver 

13 hours ago, jelida said:

He seems to have pulled this from sale. I did send him a polite note, and although he hasn’t replied, maybe he saw sense. Or maybe the vendor himself was victim of a con, in which case some sympathy is due. Or maybe he had an off eBay offer he couldn’t refuse......in which case no sympathy would be due to the purchaser. Probably the former.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

He seems to have pulled this from sale. I did send him a polite note, and although he hasn’t replied, maybe he saw sense. Or maybe the vendor himself was victim of a con, in which case some sympathy is due. Or maybe he had an off eBay offer he couldn’t refuse......in which case no sympathy would be due to the purchaser. Probably the former.

Jerry

I always try and add a report in when we find these things on ebay I think the more of us that simply do that if nothing else there is a chance they might get pulled off .  Sad thing is there are so many of them.  I notice is a lot on the US site in particular, sites that will not allow overseas shipping, they will not show up unless you have a US address and are in the US site.  I think maybe they will not sell to the UK because there is a better chance of them being found out on British coins.  

5 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

I sent him a message as well and he responded asking why I thought it was a repro. Then a short time afterwards he pulled it, presumably because you and others had also given him the bad news.

Frank

Guest declan05

Hi.

Can I ask you why this coin is fake please?

7 minutes ago, Guest declan05 said:

Hi.

Can I ask you why this coin is fake please?

Less a fake. More a copy.  It's a modern replica of a Victorian coin.  Comparisons with a genuine Victoria penny show numerous subtle differences that, with experience, are easy to spot. 

As Tom says experience is what counts, you need to look at lots of known genuine examples, and compare them side by side , In this case the 1882 without the little H below the date, is extremely rare .  There are a thousand and one differences in this case , but maybe in the future it may become a lot harder to tell the difference. ??? 

Genuine coin on the left .

1882  no H  obv.jpgs-l1600[3].jpg

1882  no H  rev.jpgs-l1600[2].jpg

The example @terrysoldpennies has given shows to me the most normal indication of the crude fakes around - they have an almost cartoon-like quality with all the lines in the depiction too thick and uniform, as if they have been drawn with a thick pen rather than an artist's brush. This may be as a result of using a computer to generate the image? The genuine coin in his example shows much finer artistic detail.

Sadly, as he suggests, we cannot rely on the forgers continuing to get it so wrong...

The thick and uniform lines on the repro do indeed stick out like a sore thumb. 

The Britannia has put on quite a few pounds too ...

The real giveaway (apart from the ridiculously oversized teeth and cartoonish appearance already noted) is that the portrait is the young pre-1874 one (possibly even from 1860-61 for those in the know?) which is quite impossible for an 1882. I'd suggest this isn't a forgery, more a replica not intended to fool the genuine collector.

Guest declan05

Hi again.

Thank you all for the information. Very interesting stuff indeed. The 1860 penny I was enquiring about seems to not be there. Was it ok after all?

I do wonder, as far as the penny is concerned, whether the myriad complexities, subtle nuances, shading and wear types that we who are familiar with the genuine article know so well, will be just too much for the fakers. As a result they will never get one over on the experts.   

47 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I do wonder, as far as the penny is concerned, whether the myriad complexities, subtle nuances, shading and wear types that we who are familiar with the genuine article know so well, will be just too much for the fakers. As a result they will never get one over on the experts.   

They are not bothered about the experts just selling them to the masses and new collectors , will only get better in time just like everything else that is faked or copied.

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

That's good. It is unlikely we will ever be in competition. ;)

You take the c**p, I'll go for something nicer. :mellow:

Thats just it Rob its crap and wrongly attributed ,he does list a lot wrong and wonder if he just has a guess or does it on purpose.