British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I've only seen this on my ageing phone screen and not on a pc so can't say for sure that I think it's fake - any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Pontefract-shilling-besieged-coin-hammered-silver-metal-detecting-find-1648/352394285588

The seller does have a couple of feedbacks from field_walker though. It's also got a familiar patter about being found ten years ago in Nottinghamshire and in a private collection ever since with no stated clear provenance! The format of the advert is also similar to previous ones with the image in front of Spink pages.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

Having gone to the effort of looking up the prices in Spink for a Fine and VF Pontefract, you don't then list a VF example at a third of the fine price. Any auction house would give a better return than that, unless of course you know it isn't the real deal, in which place eBay is the best place to go to marry up the deceitful with the ignorant.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

I've only seen this on my ageing phone screen and not on a pc so can't say for sure that I think it's fake - any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Pontefract-shilling-besieged-coin-hammered-silver-metal-detecting-find-1648/352394285588

The seller does have a couple of feedbacks from field_walker though. It's also got a familiar patter about being found ten years ago in Nottinghamshire and in a private collection ever since with no stated clear provenance! The format of the advert is also similar to previous ones with the image in front of Spink pages.

Frank

I think as soon as you mention "Pontefract Siege Piece" in the same paragraph as field_walker you know what the answer is going to be! 

It is not my area but there do appear to be casting bubbles in the pictures. To add to what Rob has said, these things used to be mega-rare, and now they turn up all the time. To me that can only mean one thing - they are being produced to fill the demand in the market. I would not buy one on Ebay at all - and I would want to have a lot of provenance before I bought from a good auction house.

• Like 2

It's most certainly a fake. I posted that one up on Sunday. He's previously sold a fake Newark siege coin also. 

It seems to a common theme now for some people to be selling fakes as well as geniune coins. It seems to confuse "some" people into thinking they are a safe and trustworthy seller. 

That coins the same as the rest with the fake toning sprayed on. They are so easy to spot with or without the toning.

They are being made by Dorchesters. If you look at there example on their website you can see the same mark below the 6. 

http://dorchesters.com/charles-i-pontefract-siege-shilling-lozenge?filter_name=Pontefract&filter_description=true

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

Mike Vosper has added the siege piece replica seller to his hall of shame. 

I thought seeing as he's making a habit of selling them I'd get his details put on the rogues gallery so to speak. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I thought seeing as he's making a habit of selling them I'd get his details put on the rogues gallery so to speak. 

Well done, guys - did somebody contact the seller? It's been pulled.

• Like 2

I contacted ebay and sent a report in  

• Like 1

Just remembered. It only had a few hours to run this morning left on it. It's ended without sale i presume.

Edited by Ukstu

17 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I notice that field_walker isn't on his shame list?

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

9 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I notice that field_walker isn't on his shame list?

Frank

No. She hasn't sold anything recently that could get her name up there. I emailed mike the link to the siege piece which he reviewed then added the seller details once he seen the evidence. 

If you see anything dodgy crop up under her name post it up and I'll pass on the link. 

9 hours ago, jelida said:

I have done a few but he has so many! It is difficult to believe anyone would be taken in by his coins or artefacts - they are so awfully bad...

• Like 1

Agreed. Absolutely shocking. I can honestly say i don't think I've ever witnessed a lot were all of it was so obviously fake until today. I've reported all the coins. 

Was going to add them to mike vospers wall of shame but it appears somebody's already beaten me. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Agreed. Absolutely shocking. I can honestly say i don't think I've ever witnessed a lot were all of it was so obviously fake until today. I've reported all the coins. 

Fully agreed as well, also all reported

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Fully agreed as well, also all reported

I've also reported this to East Sussex Trading Standards via their website. To add weight to this it might be worth others doing the same. Hopefully unlike the eBay complaints system, this report should not disappear into a 'black hole'!

Since as a so-called trader, this rogue-seller has disclosed his full details on eBay, I thought it appropriate to utilise them.

Frank

• Like 2

Just now, hibernianscribe said:

I've also reported this to East Sussex Trading Standards via their website. To add weight to this it might be worth others doing the same. Hopefully unlike the eBay complaints system, this report should not disappear into a 'black hole'!

Since as a so-called trader, this rogue-seller has disclosed his full details on eBay, I thought it appropriate to utilise them.

Frank

Totally agree. It's a blatant case of Fraud. When i reported some of the items i did it differently so i could comment. I did not hold back either. Whoever's behind this needs shutting down & prosecuting. I will do the same now Frank. 

Thanks.

Done Frank. Filled in the Citizens advice form , they review it and forward it on to Trading standards. 

Stu.

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

I have done a few but he has so many! It is difficult to believe anyone would be taken in by his coins or artefacts - they are so awfully bad...

good grief I just looked at that site it is full of fakes obvious ones it make you of course ask the question is anything authentic ?

Just now, DrLarry said:

good grief I just looked at that site it is full of fakes obvious ones it make you of course ask the question is anything authentic ?

I don't think any of it is even the "artifacts". I've never seen somebody so blatantly flouting the law. Trading standards should have a field day. 

I didn’t see anything obviously genuine either, even the later hammered look like replicas. His address appears to be a one-time council house, well maintained with a Henry Moore type sculpture in an upstairs window and a boxers punch-bag on the front wall of the house. What sort of message is that meant to send? Best not go round there on your own! 

Jerry

• Like 1

The Egyptian stuff looks like it was painted yesterday then sprinkled with flour to age it. The spears have painted on patination fluid. It's all just wrong on so many levels and not one coins geniune in my opinion, the greek ones are well known fakes from Cyprus sold by 2Rooks. 

51 minutes ago, jelida said:

I didn’t see anything obviously genuine either, even the later hammered look like replicas. His address appears to be a one-time council house, well maintained with a Henry Moore type sculpture in an upstairs window and a boxers punch-bag on the front wall of the house. What sort of message is that meant to send? Best not go round there on your own! 

Jerry

Boxers punch bag :lol: They dont hit you back Jerry and looking at him he couldnt knock the top off a rice pudding.

Low life and ebay should ban him straight away.

• Like 3

On 22/06/2018 at 6:46 PM, Peter said:

Most Tom,Dick and Harry's have been there.

Every tom dick and harry has been there , she pays special attention too dicks

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Every tom dick and harry has been there , she pays special attention too dicks

Edited by mrbadexample