British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

So blatant! Reported

13 minutes ago, declan03 said:

"The coin pictured is only for illustration purposes...". Presumably to conceal the fact that the coin for sale is genuine but in ghastly condition. 

4 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Sent the seller a polite message and he responded saying he was certain it is genuine and also asking why I told him it was a fake. I responded saying the casting pitting made it obvious, and also that his offering was currently being discussed on this forum. He has just replied saying he was pulling it and would go to Spink to get a COA after which it will be back! 

• Like 1

Spink don't do COAs. This gives a good idea of how much material is actually sold to the masses by the RM, Westminster and LMO etc. The general public gets excited by COAs, but how many nerds would ask for one? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Sent the seller a polite message and he responded saying he was certain it is genuine and also asking why I told him it was a fake. I responded saying the casting pitting made it obvious, and also that his offering was currently being discussed on this forum. He has just replied saying he was pulling it and would go to Spink to get a COA after which it will be back! 

You know as well as i do a coin like that that would have a direct line of provenance. They don't just turn up , if they did they would be put before an FLO somewhere and recorded.  The reason i said it's cast is precisely as stated it's got casting bubbles all over it which have been made even clearer by cleaning it. It also looks the same as one's that have been identified as known copies even down to the sooty look which has now been removed from it. He's even left feedback with a known seller of them field_walker. 

There not even good copies lol , souvenir shop ones! 

Edited by Ukstu

21 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

You know as well as i do a coin like that that would have a direct line of provenance. They don't just turn up , if they did they would be put before an FLO somewhere and recorded.  The reason i said it's cast is precisely as stated it's got casting bubbles all over it which have been made even clearer by cleaning it. It also looks the same as one's that have been identified as known copies even down to the sooty look which has now been removed from it. He's even left feedback with a known seller of them field_walker. 

There not even good copies lol , souvenir shop ones! 

Fully agree. After it was pulled I received a bitchy little message asking me, "Happy now are you"? Definitely the reaction of someone who's been found out.

Frank  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hibernianscribe said:

Fully agree. After it was pulled I received a bitchy little message asking me, "Happy now are you"? Definitely the reaction of someone who's been found out.

Frank  

Which is a similar attitude to field_walker when she's been challenged with her interesting token metal detecting find listings. I think she's sold about 3 of those this year. He's obviously been stupid enough to buy her patter and bought one. 

12 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Which is a similar attitude to field_walker when she's been challenged with her interesting token metal detecting find listings. I think she's sold about 3 of those this year. He's obviously been stupid enough to buy her patter and bought one. 

Mind you, it was pulled quickly and not brazenly and stubbornly kept on offer - looks as though the seller has been genuinely duped - especially if they've bought from field_walker. Also, the added pressure of telling them that the coin was being discussed on this forum might have influenced the pulling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Mind you, it was pulled quickly and not brazenly and stubbornly kept on offer - looks as though the seller has been genuinely duped - especially if they've bought from field_walker. Also, the added pressure of telling them that the coin was being discussed on this forum might have influenced the pulling.

Maybe. He has a lot of transactions with Field_walker. I'll keep my eye out for it again as it may well brazenly reappear. I saw one she was selling go for over £300 if it was that one they may well be eager to recuperate their losses after realising its fake. I think the original source for them is Dorchesters.com. i presume the manufacturer sprays them with something to make them look toned or aged. 

3 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Looks as though it has been dipped . It might be bright and shiny , but it is a very unattractive coin .

• Like 1

Another one of those pesky pontefract pieces. He's even sold a fake Newark for £500. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Pontefract-shilling-besieged-coin-hammered-silver-metal-detecting-find-1648/352394285588

Edited by Ukstu

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

... and this one doesn't look right to me either. Are the Whisky-goggles clouding my view point? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIA-HALF-PENNY-1888-GOOD-GRADE/153072636661?hash=item23a3d712f5:g:7eEAAOSwIetbLmHE

I have the cider goggles on and it seems ok to me ,apart from the wee bit of corrosion and the mark at the eye .The colour is a bit off too , as though it may have been cleaned and then artificially toned.  If it is a wrong-un , it is a good one .

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

... and this one doesn't look right to me either. Are the Whisky-goggles clouding my view point? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIA-HALF-PENNY-1888-GOOD-GRADE/153072636661?hash=item23a3d712f5:g:7eEAAOSwIetbLmHE

"I'll have what he's having..."

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

"I'll have what he's having..."

Sorry - I don't share my Talisker...

30 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Sorry - I don't share my Talisker...

I am partial to a wee (large) Talisker . In fact , any peaty malt will do .

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

I am partial to a wee (large) Talisker . In fact , any peaty malt will do .

Mine - all Mine!

I see you also do cider - I am making my own on a regular basis, though brought up to a more traditional wine strength. Very refreshing on a hot day.

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

Mine - all Mine!

I see you also do cider - I am making my own on a regular basis, though brought up to a more traditional wine strength. Very refreshing on a hot day.

I prefer a vintage Cider , something with a bit of bite . Currently in Northumberland for a week , so I will need to stock up before I head up the road . The minimum pricing laws in Scotland has made the better ciders a lot more expensive .

• Like 1