British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

but what amazes me even more they don't even check anything. there are loads of them all for £6. Either they are lazy,more money than sense or just dumb  

As the saying goes - fools and their money........

3 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

That's all well and good, but how did they get together in the first place?

• Like 2

Todays eBay fake comes from a seller who should know better. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNITED-STATES1909-SVDB-LINCOLN-1C-PCGS-MS63BN-SCARCE-FIRST-YEAR-ISSUE-99p/401554102770?hash=item5d7e7d59f2:g:OG4AAOSwEtNbJ2eh

The coin is clearly a Red or Red Brown at worst yet its graded Brown. The leaves on the reverse are worn smooth, even an AU50 would have better leaf details. The label is crooked. This exact same cert number came up on eBay.com 18 months ago, someone is using the same cert number because PCGS does not have the original picture listed. 

5 minutes ago, markflorida said:

Todays eBay fake comes from a seller who should know better. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNITED-STATES1909-SVDB-LINCOLN-1C-PCGS-MS63BN-SCARCE-FIRST-YEAR-ISSUE-99p/401554102770?hash=item5d7e7d59f2:g:OG4AAOSwEtNbJ2eh

The coin is clearly a Red or Red Brown at worst yet its graded Brown. The leaves on the reverse are worn smooth, even an AU50 would have better leaf details. The label is crooked. This exact same cert number came up on eBay.com 18 months ago, someone is using the same cert number because PCGS does not have the original picture listed. 

That was pulled quickly. :)

4 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Wow, eBay is getting better at looking at the reports 

Maybe eBay pay more attention to people reporting dodgy listings in the US than from elsewhere. It's a far more litigious society.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1902-British-Edward-VII-Coronation-Silver-Matt-Proof-Crown-Coin-PCGS-PR65/182736767018  Bought 1 coin from this lot. Tarnished junk never again. Nice coin but it's only FDC and only £2000 overpriced. Honestly I cannot see how these so called businesses making a living. not unless Mr Magoo is buying their coins. :lol:

7 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1902-British-Edward-VII-Coronation-Silver-Matt-Proof-Crown-Coin-PCGS-PR65/182736767018  Bought 1 coin from this lot. Tarnished junk never again. Nice coin but it's only FDC and only £2000 overpriced. Honestly I cannot see how these so called businesses making a living. not unless Mr Magoo is buying their coins. :lol:

MR Ingram loves a bit of LCA lol

On 17/06/2018 at 7:50 PM, DaveG38 said:

It never fails to amuse me how stupid the general public are

Edited by copper123

15 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "only FDC" as it's the highest possible grade? (French "fleur de coin")

• Like 1

Not exactly. It is in the french wording but not as we interpret it. FDC would be 100 in our grade  but we generally take FDC meaning MS65 or 88. As our coin grading house up until i last looked said there is no such thing as a 100 grade coin and hadn't graded one 100. I think I remember seeing a 99 but I think it was a commemorative . That's what I meant by only FDC MS65 as thats the grade on the coin if it was MS70 a True FDC then the price would prob be more :) 

5 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Not exactly. It is in the french wording but not as we interpret it. FDC would be 100 in our grade  but we generally take FDC meaning MS65 or 88. As our coin grading house up until i last looked said there is no such thing as a 100 grade coin and hadn't graded one 100. I think I remember seeing a 99 but I think it was a commemorative . That's what I meant by only FDC MS65 as thats the grade on the coin if it was MS70 a True FDC then the price would prob be more :) 

My misunderstanding - you meant that MS65 can't be FDC? Got you.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Quite right Paddy. It looks cast to me. Good filler if you can't afford or even find an original. That said, it still is a high price for a poor copy.

There are but 4 genuine examples known (Henfrey double counted) , two in private hands and the other two in the Hunterian and British musea. One of those in private hands was sold in 85, (if memory serves me correctly) at the Harrington Manville sale for the sum of £10,000 (£30,000 today). The other privately owned example surfaced more recently in 2017 and was sold by Stacks. Interestingly, the location of the latter was generally unknown for some 140 years having been sold by a dealer to “a gentleman in America”, an unknown collector, in 1877. That particular example is also interesting and distinctive by the fact that there are traces of gilt present and this is also noted in several old sale catalogues prior to its sale to the American gentleman. I find the Simon sixpence to be an interesting subject, it's absolute rarity - why?, poor condition of all known examples - why?, etc. I half suspect that there is a box hidden or buried somewhere that is full of the beggars and we shall all be able to buy one for a more affordable price. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

I find the Simon sixpence to be an interesting subject, it's absolute rarity - why?, poor condition of all known examples - why?, etc. I half suspect that there is a box hidden or buried somewhere that is full of the beggars and we shall all be able to buy one for a more affordable price. 

Try Baldwin's basement. ;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

Turn left at the double Leopards? 

On 18/06/2018 at 10:12 AM, mrbadexample said:

oh matron!

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Very very wrong. Ace-antiques nuff said. Rotten to the core them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob said:

I would love a couple of days down there with a wallet fatter than Jordons boobs

• Like 2

wouldn't mind her thruppenny bits in my collection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrP said:

wouldn't mind her thruppenny bits in my collection. 

Most Tom,Dick and Harry's have been there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Most Tom,Dick and Harry's have been there.

Don't forget a peter - I mean Peter :lol: - too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Don't forget a peter - I mean Peter :lol: - too

If I had a 12" it would flop around.

• Like 1