British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

3 hours ago, declan03 said:

Another fake seller. This listing finished last night along with another three. He still has two listings to sell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-DENARIUS-OF-JULIUS-CAESAR-ELEPHANT-3-65-g-VERY-RARE/123139771645?hash=item1cabb3ccfd:g:DpAAAOSw2VFa9sOJ

Love the guarantee. "I am not a licensed dealer and can give no C.O.A" He does a very good job of actually saying it's a fake without actually calling himself out. tough for the idiots that bid on it

On 26/05/2018 at 10:01 AM, Paddy said:

155 buyers think so lols :lol:

14 hours ago, declan03 said:

Another fake seller. This listing finished last night along with another three. He still has two listings to sell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-DENARIUS-OF-JULIUS-CAESAR-ELEPHANT-3-65-g-VERY-RARE/123139771645?hash=item1cabb3ccfd:g:DpAAAOSw2VFa9sOJ

This coin, along with several others, I have received as an inheritance. I do not say I understand that, I do not know when and where it was made. For information, I use the internet. Since I do not know the real price, I pop this item at a 1 cent auction.

Yeah, RIGHT.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peckris said:

This coin, along with several others, I have received as an inheritance. I do not say I understand that, I do not know when and where it was made. For information, I use the internet. Since I do not know the real price, I pop this item at a 1 cent auction.

Yeah, RIGHT.

Excellent, the internet will presumably have also thrown up a lot of talk about copies of Caesar's elephant. There's a touch of Nelson about this excuse.

2 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Bit of a clue mate it says Brunel not naffin lincoln lmao priceless:lol:

Fakey 1935 crown - the chinese started knocking these out a couple of months ago and now this idiot is declaring "I have no idea re coins"... apart from how to try and flog fakes of course..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1935-George-V-Rocking-Horse-Silver-Crown-Nice-Coin-free-postage/292584809666?hash=item441f69e4c2:g:EOQAAOSw92RbDm1D

Todays Fake coins. This seller has 9 fake Morgans on one lot and two on another with two Liberty dollars. 1795 & 1804. Selling the second lot for £39. The Liberty dollars would fetch over £70,000 alone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tottersindtraders/m.html?item=253657736366&hash=item3b0f2de4ae%3Ag%3A9YoAAOSwO9RbDqNQ&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

11 minutes ago, markflorida said:

Todays Fake coins. This seller has 9 fake Morgans on one lot and two on another with two Liberty dollars. 1795 & 1804. Selling the second lot for £39. The Liberty dollars would fetch over £70,000 alone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tottersindtraders/m.html?item=253657736366&hash=item3b0f2de4ae%3Ag%3A9YoAAOSwO9RbDqNQ&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Doesn't look like he has fooled anybody - 1 day left and no bids.

Part of the issue I think is Ebay constantly giving free-listing deals - it encourages the chancers to try it on with rubbish fakes in the hope that someone will be taken in, and in the safe knowledge that it has cost them nothing if nobody bites.

Edited by Paddy
typos
  • Like 1

Another new gitbay gripe is that if you look up say, 1925 half crown, and then go to Sold Items, something new and exciting happens. If you click See original listing against  a Sold item to determine its quality against the one you have for sale; you're going to run into an entirely new and different current listing. It's only been this weekend and I hope that it's just a glitch, but this could be yet another nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

Noticed it a few days ago ... "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

erm No ebay, I want to see the "original sold listing" which I went to the trouble of finding, not be shown something completely different.

• Like 1

Just another way to mask a seller’s history so you can’t see if they’ve been flogging fakes.

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Just another way to mask a seller’s history so you can’t see if they’ve been flogging fakes.

Yes even more reason for ebay to be shut down. This last interference is beyond a joke. Now as you say there is no way to check on past sale as the link initially sends you to the sale with the smallest picture thumbnail in the world . Only when you click "see original listing" does the truth of ebays criminal intent to aid the scammers become visible with a link to something you neither asked for or wanted.:angry:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1804-5-Shillings-Dollar-NCG-XF-45/131643734497 becoming more evident these across the pond TPG just cannot grade english coins or can't be bothered. since when was that coin a NVF in any book?. I would of thrown it at them :angry:

On 10/06/2018 at 9:43 AM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Noticed it a few days ago ... "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

erm No ebay, I want to see the "original sold listing" which I went to the trouble of finding, not be shown something completely different.

If you click 'listing' in the text above on ebay it takes you back to the original sale so you can view it.. Try it on ebay.

I am always left with a shaking head and a jaw trailing along the carpet when I see the stupidity of Joe public. I don't know how many times this guy has told them this is the proof copy (it isn't it's a fake) there are no official copies as far as I am aware? He then reminds them again at the bottom "this is the silver proof copy" IT IS NOT LEGAL TENDER. It's not legal tender because it is fake and it isn't silver either or proof. it is a nasty knock off

It's a chinese knock off the way the guy hams it up as if it is an after thought of the RM to ask someone other than themselves to produce a copy for the poor collectors who don't have one and even worse than that the dumb planktons bought it hook line and sinker @ £22.50 a pop 132 sold. Amazing how thick people can be and how deceitful a sales pitch can be spun to sound genuine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Kew-Gardens-50p-Coin-Uncirculated-Very-Rare-And-Collectable-See-Details/323157513865

Edited by zookeeperz

5 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I am always left with a shaking head and a jaw trailing along the carpet when I see the stupidity of Joe public. I don't know how many times this guy has told them this is the proof copy (it isn't it's a fake) there are no official copies as far as I am aware? He then reminds them again at the bottom "this is the silver proof copy" IT IS NOT LEGAL TENDER. It's not legal tender because it is fake and it isn't silver either or proof. it is a nasty knock off

It's a chinese knock off the way the guy hams it up as if it is an after thought of the RM to ask someone other than themselves to produce a copy for the poor collectors who don't have one and even worse than that the dumb planktons bought it hook line and sinker @ £22.50 a pop 132 sold. Amazing how thick people can be and how deceitful a sales pitch can be spun to sound genuine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Kew-Gardens-50p-Coin-Uncirculated-Very-Rare-And-Collectable-See-Details/323157513865

I have no sympathy - the 'coin' has COPY written on it quite clearly. If people want one to fill a gap in their collection and can't afford the highly inflated price for a real one, then I guess wasting £22 for a copy is OK. Seems a bit pointless though for something that isn't genuine. Even with just £22 they could buy some very nice Elizabeth II predecimal real coins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I have no sympathy - the 'coin' has COPY written on it quite clearly. If people want one to fill a gap in their collection and can't afford the highly inflated price for a real one, then I guess wasting £22 for a copy is OK. Seems a bit pointless though for something that isn't genuine. Even with just £22 they could buy some very nice Elizabeth II predecimal real coins.

but what amazes me even more they don't even check anything. there are loads of them all for £6. Either they are lazy,more money than sense or just dumb  

• Like 1

They are only buying one coin a year Zoo ,everything else they find in change and so £20 not much to spend.

They would probably think it was us with more money than sense and dumb :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1