British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Not sure I'd want to pay that much for it, but I'd be reasonably happy with it, not aware of any forgeries for that year as yet, but I'm always willing to be corrected in my learning journey :)

This looks a wrongun. Seems mushy looking on the obverse and mintmarks not a known mintmark. It looks like RI which i assume is an abbreviation for replica. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammered-Henry-V11-Silver-Groat-triple-band-crown-regular-issue/183230067257

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

This looks a wrongun. Seems mushy looking on the obverse and mintmarks not a known mintmark. It looks like RI which i assume is an abbreviation for replica. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammered-Henry-V11-Silver-Groat-triple-band-crown-regular-issue/183230067257

Most definitely!

• Like 1

I sent a message to the seller and got a very prompt reply back thanking me and saying he had been 'taken in'. He's pulling it.

• Like 1

Don't like this either looks like the lettering bottoms have all been carved by hand to make them look like originals. The detail is completely flat everywhere . I don't believe our craftsmanship was ever that bad :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707-E-Half-Crown-Sexto-edge-Queen-Anne-Rarecoin-Anomaly-sexto-edge/123138960774

27 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Don't like this either looks like the lettering bottoms have all been carved by hand to make them look like originals. The detail is completely flat everywhere . I don't believe our craftsmanship was ever that bad :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707-E-Half-Crown-Sexto-edge-Queen-Anne-Rarecoin-Anomaly-sexto-edge/123138960774

The only thing that looks wrong with this one is the price. The letters are usually fish tailed and the obverse is usually slightly convex whereas the reverse is concave, thus protecting the latter's detail. The obverse is usually more worn as a consequence.

Mine has similar lettering characteristics.

c1957 1707E crown - rev.jpg

Edited to add, sorry, just realised it is a halfcrown and not a crown, but the principle still applies across multiple denominations. 

Edited by Rob

56 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

I sent a message to the seller and got a very prompt reply back thanking me and saying he had been 'taken in'. He's pulling it.

Thanks Frank. Great Job! 👍

20 minutes ago, declan03 said:

I saw this the other day. I had to chuckle but there are some serious undertones in the language he is using. Actually he almost goes as far as to threaten anyone who disputes what he says and will hack the doubters and generally make life uncomfortable for them. Nasty little oik needs a slap. :)

• Like 1

It's cocky, supercilious crap!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rob said:

That's a normal 5.

Aww. Not a bell end? :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

you know what pisses me off the red star and 2015 rating might as well be 1 or 99000000000 it means nothing when idiots are selling crap like that. I guess having a red star means they pay ebay even more money so they are free to lie at will.?

20 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Well P and I are there which makes it VF+ min so US cross over is AU55 but not our AU far from it. Doesn't have much eye appeal that's for sure and its picture through plastic which never flatters coins. I would pass over it though not the greatest specimen . I bet in the hand it is a different looking coin? :)

On 5/24/2018 at 6:27 AM, zookeeperz said:

you know what pisses me off the red star and 2015 rating might as well be 1 or 99000000000 it means nothing when idiots are selling crap like that. I guess having a red star means they pay ebay even more money so they are free to lie at will.?

I don't think she is lying at all, just ignorant. I suspect she knows as much about coin grading as I do about dress sizes.

There's a £2 listed as B/UNC, because most of them are. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can find a coin, which must be valuable as it's old and will list it according to what appears to sell well. You have to remember that we are very much in a minority when it comes to numismatics - the rest of the world just spend coins.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I don't think she is lying at all, just ignorant. I suspect she knows as much about coin grading as I do about dress sizes.

There's a £2 listed as B/UNC, because most of them are. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can find a coin, which must be valuable as it's old and will list it according to what appears to sell well. You have to remember that we are very much in a minority when it comes to numismatics - the rest of the world just spend coins.

Point I was making if that is how she describes everything she doesn't know anything about how on earth can you retain 100% customer satisfaction over 2010 sales? esp when there are muppets out there just waiting to give you a rough ride over any description that isn't 100% accurate

Not knowing about and lying are two completely different things. Lying is knowing you are wrong and deliberately misleading.

If you are desperate to give her a negative, buy something. Common sense dictates that you don't waste your money on something that is obviously crap. The counterargument is that if the buyer knows no better than the seller, then both are happy, so where is the reason for the negative? Negatives appear when an item has been misrepresented, not incorrectly described to the initiated.

Edited by Rob

I concur.

If the aEF grade was an attempt to mislead the coin wouldn't be offered at £1.50 with free P&P.

Edited by Michael-Roo