British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

If it's any cosolation, I cannot see nothing but a 3. Maybe time for a visit to optical express.

• Like 1

Cany anyone see an H ? I have blown this up to 700% and can't make out an H 

1882HornoH.jpg

even the reverse neg view I can't see anything?

1882HornoHnegview.jpg

I have to say - I can't say I see an "H" there, but equally there is sufficient marks that might be the remains of an H that I certainly wouldn't buy it as being 1882 no H.

I think there is an H, but in any case which obverse is it? That would give a clue as to whether it could be a ‘no H’.

Jerry

It might be a rare ‘no bottom bar to ‘2’ ‘ !

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

I think there is an H, but in any case which obverse is it? That would give a clue as to whether it could be a ‘no H’.

Jerry

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

I have to say - I can't say I see an "H" there, but equally there is sufficient marks that might be the remains of an H that I certainly wouldn't buy it as being 1882 no H.

Here is obverse

1882.O.jpg

Looks like the R and I of BRITT touch, so not the right obverse for a ‘no H’.

Jerry

11 minutes ago, jelida said:

Looks like the R and I of BRITT touch, so not the right obverse for a ‘no H’.

Jerry

seen many of these?

1877wide77-vert.jpg

2 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

seen many of these?

1877wide77-vert.jpg

Sorry Zoo, what are you looking at?

2 minutes ago, jelida said:

Sorry Zoo, what are you looking at?

Look at the date widths and how far the dates are from the edge of the coin.  different style 7's closer together at the bottom 8$7 closer together at the top + that 8 on the top coin has a larger top section than the bottom on the bottom coin its other way around?

Edited by zookeeperz

1 minute ago, zookeeperz said:

Look at the date widths and how far the dates are from the edge of the coin.  different style 7's closer together at the bottom 8$7 closer together at the top 

I’m afraid date width variations are not my thing, unless associated with other die changes. They are so variable they rarely merit varietal status.

we better get back to Ebays worst offerings!

Jerry

• Like 1

Yes I am starting to go cross eyed looking at things that I cannot see!!

4 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Can't quite understand why anyone would bother to try and sell this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382428319443?ul_noapp=true

It's because eBay have created a fantasy that has slowly turned to reality that because they reach to all corners of the world there will always be be some idiot, somewhere, who'll pay good money for rubbish. Unfortunately, in this they have been quite successful!

Frank

• Like 1

Look at these bandits. I have been seeing a lot of hate rants on various forums about these guys. I certainly do not like the way they structure their adverts. Ambiguous  at best. You think you are buying something completely different until you get further than most would read . Take a look at the 15 piece silver set @ £39.90 . I though has to be too good to be true. I kept reading and reading waiting for the hammer to fall and it did but not until the last sentence of the advert. All the while it's kidding you along this whole 15 piece set of 1 ounce silver coins is £39.90 . It even says in this set you will get 4 coins and save £30 on the first. BS it is for 1 single coin lol.

https://www.bnt.org.uk/barmaids-grief-double-florin-coin  £239 for that garbage totally shameful and using BNT as well which has bugger all to do with the real BNT I am sure. Only thing they will do is give the wrong impression of the good guys

Edited by zookeeperz

Ah. MDM - the European equivalent of the LMO. I can see a turf war starting up here with reductions in the multiples of true worth. Maybe we will have things for sale at only 2 or 3 times what they should be.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:01 PM, Paddy said:

Agreed. With the wear on that coin I'd say it's far more probable than not, that there was an H there. 

But let's not forget. as Jerry alluded to, the no H 1882's have obverse 11, and the coin above is obverse 12. 

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Agreed. With the wear on that coin I'd say it's far more probable than not, that there was an H there. 

But let's not forget. as Jerry alluded to, the no H 1882's have obverse 11, and the coin above is obverse 12. 

Does that mean the one with OBV 12 sold at LCA for £1500 was definately not one ?

I only ask as someone must of thought it looked right :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Does that mean the one with OBV 12 sold at LCA for £1500 was definately not one ?

I only ask as someone must of thought it looked right :)

Some-one clearly did think it was OK, and it is in reasonable condition, but to my mind there is the faintest shadow of an H and a blocked die is far more likely, occurs sporadically throughout the penny series including at least one 1876 without ‘H’ and many lost letters and digits. It is really only the use of the ‘London only’ 1882 obverse 11 that suggests that those ‘no H’ pennies were indeed not of Heaton manufacture.

Not that an obverse 12 ‘no H’ die is impossible, just not proven.

Jerry

15 minutes ago, jelida said:

Some-one clearly did think it was OK, and it is in reasonable condition, but to my mind there is the faintest shadow of an H and a blocked die is far more likely, occurs sporadically throughout the penny series including at least one 1876 without ‘H’ and many lost letters and digits. It is really only the use of the ‘London only’ 1882 obverse 11 that suggests that those ‘no H’ pennies were indeed not of Heaton manufacture.

Not that an obverse 12 ‘no H’ die is impossible, just not proven.

Jerry

Yes Jerry i agree and can remember someone blowing the pictures up when it was for sale and was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.Regardless of what die the obverse is i would never spend good money on one as would always be thinking is it or isnt it :D....or have i just spent a few quid on a blocked die or Rang.

Happy to have a gap for that one :)

• Like 1