British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

46 minutes ago, Peckris said:

IF. From the faint image I saw of the '3', it may not be an open 3, but we'll have to wait and see... or not!

Agreed to the left of where it stops it looks like its took a hit and there is still a fait outline of a curve but that could just be my peepers. But if memory serves the top part of the open 3 is shorter than his? and why is the bottom of the three missing? Or is that to hide the ball on the foot of a normal 3?. I smell a foul here :)

Edited by zookeeperz

As i doubt the seller will reply i have had a quick look and the cgs picture is much clearer ....... the coin is definately an open 3.

I dont know why he didnt use there picture as much better and the same coin graded 10.

Now all he has to do is knock £500 off and alter the grade from F to VG :angry:

Edited by PWA 1967

Maybe he isn't supplying the CGS coin you refer to, so can't provide good images. Just a thought. With the historical baggage, anything is possible.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

As i doubt the seller will reply i have had a quick look and the cgs picture is much clearer ....... the coin is definately an open 3.

I don't know why he didn't use their picture as much better and the same coin graded 10.

Now all he has to do is knock £500 off and alter the grade from F to VG :angry:

Don't forget one needs to pay £99 to be a LCGS member in order to get CGS photos. And it is quite hard to claim it is graded as fine when the label gives a different grade. 

9 minutes ago, Sword said:

Don't forget one needs to pay £99 to be a LCGS member in order to get CGS photos. And it is quite hard to claim it is graded as fine when the label gives a different grade. 

Believe me he knows what he is doing and has / had dozens of cgs coins although the pictures yes i forgot and he may not be able to access them.

The grade though he states in the listing as F although it is not that on the holder it is only VG ,so i am not sure what you mean by quite hard to claim.

All of it doesnt matter anyway just one of his normal daft listings and nobody (hopefully)is going to pay that for it :)

22 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Believe me he knows what he is doing and has / had dozens of cgs coins although the pictures yes i forgot and he may not be able to access them.

The grade though he states in the listing as F although it is not that on the holder it is only VG ,so i am not sure what you mean by quite hard to claim.

All of it doesnt matter anyway just one of his normal daft listings and nobody (hopefully)is going to pay that for it :)

I am just saying it is not possible to lie about the coin being graded as Fine by CGS if the grade of CGS10 is shown on the CGS photo / label. 

1 minute ago, Sword said:

I am just saying it is not possible to lie about the coin being graded as Fine by CGS if the grade of CGS10 is shown on the CGS photo / label. 

Got you now Sword.....Sorry i am a bit thick :)

I don't understand this at all.

There is a clear enough picture, with a '3' that has no damage or bits missing, 

that shows it to be the variety that's claimed, albeit a slightly different form to the usual 158A

Grade? Look at the coin and decide.

Always ignore other people's grading, whoever they are.

(If you like it, and the price is right, buy it is my system)

The price is hilarious, I grant you......

I've bought from this seller many times and never had any problems....

9 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I don't understand this at all.

There is a clear enough picture, with a '3' that has no damage or bits missing, 

That is because there are now two pictures that show the date clearly. They weren't there yesterday.

Its nothing to do with the pictures or the listing really:)

I just dont like people selling coins for a grand in an auction and then telling lies to not sell it.

I also dont like people who arrange to meet you and sell you something for cash and tell lies again.

I also dont like people selling Fakes that have been in there collection forty years but were only made twelve months before.

I also dont like someone who sells at shows and knows the values trying to catch someone out by asking £500 more for a coin of not much value.

Basiclly i just dont like the seller and people who tell lies :D

• Like 3

18 hours ago, will1976 said:

I've messaged him asking for a clear picture of the date.....we'll see what happens!

Hat off Will maybe he listened to you or reads the forum.

Put some new pictures up and changed the grade on the description as Sword said due to a picture of the ticket :)

How was that not rejected for verdigris? :o

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hat off Will maybe he listened to you or reads the forum.

Put some new pictures up and changed the grade on the description as Sword said due to a picture of the ticket :)

That's good! Has he changed the price though lol :lol:

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

Once a wide boy, always a wide boy in my view!

Frank

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

How was that not rejected for verdigris? :o

The (initial) official CGS policy was to reject coins with even a trace of verdigris. 

However, later on, they decided to slab and accept rare varieties with even lots of verdigris if the grades are VERY LOW.

Why the change of heart? I guess CGS wanted to recognise that such coins can have significant value even with verd. But in reality, I think it was very possible that they bent the rules to accommodate coins being sold at their auctions. The alleged conflict of interest has been mentioned so many times before. 

3 hours ago, will1976 said:

I think he does read the posts on this forum as the grade was changed and extra photos were posted soon after these issues were mentioned here.

No change yet in the price though :D

I just don't think there is any point asking for outrageous prices on ebay. It is just wishful thinking and one would only manage to stink up his reputation making as a result.

Well lets hope he does read the forum and makes a point of looking at it more often as not doing himself any favours.

4 hours ago, Sword said:

The (initial) official CGS policy was to reject coins with even a trace of verdigris. 

However, later on, they decided to slab and accept rare varieties with even lots of verdigris if the grades are VERY LOW.

Why the change of heart? I guess CGS wanted to recognise that such coins can have significant value even with verd. But in reality, I think it was very possible that they bent the rules to accommodate coins being sold at their auctions. The alleged conflict of interest has been mentioned so many times before. 

Hopefully back in 2007 I had a convincing argument for them change the rules. Body bagging rare varieties with no record taken is depriving the whole coin collecting fraternity of coins they would never know about. Imagine they did it to any of the super rare varieties we have. Just because it has something deemed not fit for grading purpose because of verdigris it doesn't stop it being a coin actually minted and actually being a variety. As long as the label says what is wrong with the coin it has a rightful place in coin databases.

Short version my argument then was who are they to decide what is or what is not a variety. They are there to give the coin an MOT that is all. Collectors decide what they will collect not TPG's . ultra Rare coins in any condition will be purchased by collectors . I had loads returned with some minute spot on an UNC coin with nothing to say what it was. Just ungraded in a plastic wallet. Not their place to designate what a variety is only to confirm or dismiss it being what is being sent in for.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Nope but I can see a possibility for a 1 the top right serif and there could well be a part of an upright in that bottom curve of the 3?

Ahhh so that's what it looks like :)

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Nope but I can see a possibility for a 1 the top right serif and there could well be a part of an upright in that bottom curve of the 3?

Ahhh so that's what it looks like :)

Lots can look similar Zoo such as Gouby Ac has made me doubt as weather it really is a 2.

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Lots can look similar Zoo such as Gouby Ac has made me doubt as weather it really is a 2.

I can see the shoot through of the 2 through the beginning of the 3's tip and the downstroke through the middle serif of the 3 but that is all I can see as in resemblance  to a 2 but when I blew it up there is what looks like part of a line running through the bottom corner of the three that's why I thought it was a 1

What i mean Zoo is its in the book as 1893/2 not just the coin pictured all of them with the downward bit below ,  not sure if they are all really a 2.

If the coin has more lustre or viewed through a glass you can see more clearly.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

What i mean Zoo is its in the book as 1893/2 not just the coin pictured all of them with the downward bit below ,  not sure if they are all really a 2.

If the coin has more lustre or viewed through a glass you can see more clearly.

In the book it says maybe so who knows? But I would of thought if there was something there it would be much larger than just 2 really skinny lines?