British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

29 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

I reported both of these coins. Another I reported it's not even a good fake if there is such a thing.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIAN-SILVER-CROWN-1892/323114460538?hash=item4b3b1f657a:g:PGoAAOSwLWZamv79

I have tried to report this item but the Ebay report page seems to be faulty - none of the drop boxes work. Anyone else having this problem, or should I take it personally? :D

Edited by Paddy
typo

Paddy  Go through the guy on Coincommunity who has a hot line to ebay.

The 1892 crown is a fake and being offered as genuine not even as a copy. This IMO is deception bordering on fraud.

It has worked this time - must have been a caching problem as I have shut down and restarted in the meantime. Reported.

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Must go to the top of the list of the coin fugly contest :)

2 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Must go to the top of the list of the coin fugly contest :)

It's nice mate. Hardly any scratches, especially the obverse. :blink:

• Like 1

While not breaching anything (yet), this listing for an 1850 shilling (copy) caught my eye. I'm sure it won't be long before these start turning up without the Copy/replica/filler/restrike labels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1850-Victoria-Retro-Shilling-Ideal-Gap-Filler-Exact-same-size-as-original/282862667265?hash=item41dbedc601:g:w78AAOSw38BacBKR

I'll let you all be the judge of it's qualities.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

While not breaching anything (yet), this listing for an 1850 shilling (copy) caught my eye. I'm sure it won't be long before these start turning up without the Copy/replica/filler/restrike labels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1850-Victoria-Retro-Shilling-Ideal-Gap-Filler-Exact-same-size-as-original/282862667265?hash=item41dbedc601:g:w78AAOSw38BacBKR

I'll let you all be the judge of it's qualities.

its just too good a copy. Things like this really worry me and probably our worse failing as coin makers during the early years there were so many mistakes and letter changes that unlike the yanks where they know exactly what came from where and when we just narrow it down to a few possibilities. This if listed not as a copy would of had loads of bidders and i dread to think what price it would of reached. Perhaps the blurred pic is doing the coin more justice than it would in the hand?

1 minute ago, zookeeperz said:

its just too good a copy. Things like this really worry me and probably our worse failing as coin makers during the early years there were so many mistakes and letter changes that unlike the yanks where they know exactly what came from where and when we just narrow it down to a few possibilities. This if listed not as a copy would of had loads of bidders and i dread to think what price it would of reached. Perhaps the blurred pic is doing the coin more justice than it would in the hand?

I agree, I'd like to see one in the hand, but I won't buy one because I don't want to fuel the market for fakes.

I had suspicions about one a while ago, but it seems that the varieties are starting to be produced nearly as fast as the royal mint is knocking out more "collectables".

It's quite worrying to say the least.

4 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I agree, I'd like to see one in the hand, but I won't buy one because I don't want to fuel the market for fakes.

I had suspicions about one a while ago, but it seems that the varieties are starting to be produced nearly as fast as the royal mint is knocking out more "collectables".

It's quite worrying to say the least.

but where are they getting the Dies from. I know some of the commemoratives were struck from original dies. cannot remember which monarch it was for unless they are doing it again with Victoria? they just look too good to be made up dies?

8 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

but where are they getting the Dies from.

They make their own using a laser scanning machine.

IMO fake coin a very bad one at that. However it is being offered as genuine not as a replica which amounts to attempted fraud not just offering replica coins not marked as such.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Four-Crowned-Cruciform-George-V-1927-1932-Silver-One-Florin/332576084591?hash=item4d6f14526f:m:mjXuwM1S3W4Faab219HUXCQ

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paddy said:

yes he is totally flouting with ebay's explicit description criteria. If it is a replica/fake it must be in the description. Putting a lowball price whilst yes should raise a red flag it does not cover the seller for his ambiguity and really at the end of the day does nothing to enhance his reputation.

It seems to me that Ebay should implement a setting in the process for listing coins, probably alongside the "condition" box where, for single coin listings, the seller has to click either "Genuine" or "Copy" - not able to proceed until one or other has been selected. Then, if they have clicked genuine and it is not, they are in clear breach of trading standards.

It takes away the opportunity for sellers to say nothing and allow buyers to assume it is genuine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

It seems to me that Ebay should implement a setting in the process for listing coins, probably alongside the "condition" box where, for single coin listings, the seller has to click either "Genuine" or "Copy" - not able to proceed until one or other has been selected. Then, if they have clicked genuine and it is not, they are in clear breach of trading standards.

It takes away the opportunity for sellers to say nothing and allow buyers to assume it is genuine.

good idea but they we get the grey area of "oh i selected the wrong box" . Hard to prove but very easy to exploit to a certain degree . Habitual misuse would raise red flags but damage is done by then but I guess we need to start somewhere :)

• Like 1

EBay's rules (not that they always inforce them) state that reproduction coins should be marked as such ie stamped on the coin. Describing the coin as a reproduction is not sufficient as it allows a 3rd party to pass it as genuine.

Edited by ozjohn

What a nightmare!! Not coin related but eBay related. 

Decided to try my hand at jewellery making. Ordered a high spec torch nozzle off eBay. Found it via Google search engine. Seller based in Manchester. Buys it. 

This morning a hedge trimmer arrives as a gift from Amazon. 

WTF !!! is my reaction who'd gift me a hedge trimmer i don't even have a hedge. 

Only item outstanding was the torch. I then take a proper look at the seller. Hes got neg lots of it for lying as he's based in Israel and not Manchester. He's also got lots of neg for drop shipping off Amazon. 

I ring ebay they start a return on my behalf. The address label's gobble de gook. Tel aviv Israel Buckinghamshire. 

eBay now won't step in to refund me until the deadline of the 14. The guys got loads of negs for not responding to cases or emails so this isn't going to be resolved quickly. The moral of the story anyway is if you use google to search for a product check the sellers feedback before you buy instead of just seeing the price & location and clicking buy.

Fuming! 😠

Edited by Ukstu

How much was the torch? I need a hedge trimmer... ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

How much was the torch? I need a hedge trimmer... ;)

The torch was £46.99 the trimmers £33 on Amazon so a bum deal all round 😅

Just now, Ukstu said:

The torch was £46.99 the trimmers £33 on Amazon so a bum deal all round 😅

Oh. :(